Stuff my gran bought for baby absolutely REAKS of fags

LankyDoodle

Reaction score
:growlmad: My gran lives with my mum. My brother and his boyfriend move in and out as and when their money runs out. My mum and gran don't smoke; gran is severely asthmatic. There's a history of drug abuse and both of them smoke.

My mum is such a walkover and allows them to smoke IN THE HOUSE! I stayed there on Weds night as I was too tired to drive the 2 hours home, and I could taste it as well as smell it. I asked my mum why she allows them to smoke in her house and she said they don't! I have SEEN them sit in the window in their room smoking, and they have all the doors open to the rest of the house. The house STINKS of it. I said to my mum she needs to put her foot down as it is not fair on my gran with her chest and they are taking the mick. I could hardly breathe as I suffer with chest problems as well, and being pregnant I don't take kindly to people smoking around me.

So I unpacked the clothes/cuddly bears my gran had bought for me, this morning, and the smell literally smacked me in the face. I've washed them and the smell is still there even now. How can I get rid of the smell. The two bears will not fit in the machine so I'm afraid I'm going to have to bin them. There is a proven link to cotdeath when babies are around people/things with lingering smoke smells or around people who are smoking, and I also don't really want her room or my house smelling of it.

Maybe I'm being about OTT but when they get home tonight I'm going to phone up and tell them the problem I've had and tell them that I won't be visiting their house with my baby. I'm sick to death of my mum being a doormat when she always used to tell my grandad off for smoking around her!!

RANT OVER!!

I can't stand that smell.

You can get it out though. Wash them again, but put about a cup of white vinegar in instead of fabric softener. They should come out smelling of nothing.

Vinegar can be used instead of fabric softener for sensitive skin and removes the residue from the detergent, so is completely safe on baby clothes.

Awww sorry to hear that hun ive got a gripe with people smoking near me mainly FIL - jeez he is so selfish..... anyway ive had a few gift that smelt of ciggies and i washed them and luckily the smell went.

But with the bears have you tried hand washing them or soaking them in the sink with e nice smelling fabric softner? Failing that I THINK you can buy washing/hand washing stuff that has Ferbreeze in it or maybe just after youve washed/hand washed spray loads of Ferbreeze on anyway and i mean drench it in it and leave to dry for a good few days in an airing cupboard or radiator

Hope you dont have to throw them away hun :hugs:
xx

I totally hate smoke around me and the smell, so that would have completely pissed me off,

i would definitely give them a piece of my mind,
to say the least.

Perhaps you telling your mum you won't be visiting with LO will make her put her foot down.

Could you take the larger bears to a laundrette and try one of their machines? Putting a cup of White vinegar in should erase the smell.

Perhaps you telling your mum you won't be visiting with LO will make her put her foot down.

Could you take the larger bears to a laundrette and try one of their machines? Putting a cup of White vinegar in should erase the smell.

their being totally disrespectful to your mum and gran and I dont blame you for not taking lo there. My inlaws smoke and whenever my kids go they come back stinking

That sucks! So unfair.

I've got one tip for the teddies but please follow them with caution. I use this trick with my cusions to get rid of damp smells or when someone visits and has a smoke in my home, I do this to get rid of the fag smell.

Bicarbonate of soda. Sprinkle some on the teddies (teddies should be dry) and leave for about half an hour. Half an hour later, use the nossle of a hoover to suck up all the powder. Teddies should smell fresh because the baking soda absorbs the bad odours.

Can't really help much about the clothes seeing as though you'll be putting them on your child. Have you tried fabric softener to make them smell better? Erm...hanging them out on the line in the sun? Maybe the air will clear them out better? :shrug:

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try them all. Husband said about taking the bears to landerette as well; and the baking soda and vinegar ideas for washing the bears/clothes sounds great. Will try. Thank you. :)

I phoned my mum and mentioned it and she denied the house smells of smoke so my husband piped up and said I came home stinking of it yesterday and the reason they don't smell it is because they live with it! I ended up getting a bit tempy with my mum and saying I cannot and will not have them smoking around my child or bringing the smell into my house. I can cope with it without a child around but I don't want it around her. My mum went a bit quiet and my brother and his boyfriend could be heard in the background defending themselves, but maybe now they will have a think about things. I'm not saying they have to stop smoking but their attitude annoys me.

Anyway thanks for the support. :) xx

Do whats right for you and your baby and dont worry about what other people think as you are more important right now, xxx

I'd suggest maybe asking your mum to ask the lads to smoke outside, especially seeing as the baby will be around soon and also not just that but the place truly does stink after a smoke.
I used to smoke myself and it's true, you don't notice the smell when you smoke because you're so used to it, but once you stop and you're around others that smoke, wow, it hits you like a ton of bricks.
Anyway, they've got no excuse now the weather is starting to warm up a bit.
Hope it all works well for you and I've got no other suggestions for getting the odours out because everyone has suggested already lol! but good luck xxx

You can get it out though. Wash them again, but put about a cup of white vinegar in instead of fabric softener. They should come out smelling of nothing.

Vinegar can be used instead of fabric softener for sensitive skin and removes the residue from the detergent, so is completely safe on baby clothes.

is vinegar just to take out the smell of smoke or do you think it would work to take out the smell of farm. i got some clothes from a friend and they smell like farm a bit but they are so cute, do you think the white vinegar would work for that as well

White vinegar is brilliant for all sorts of things! We alternate each wash with one wash using comfort pure and the next wash using 2 capfuls of white vinegar.. As above, totally safe for pickle clothes etc and it also cleans your washing machine at the same time!

Pop a couple of capfuls in the wash when you put them back in again, the smoke smell should come out within 2 more washes and probably just one more would do it!

As for your brother smoking, that's really awful of them and your mother needs to put her foot down. If not for her own sake then especially for the sake of her mother.

is vinegar just to take out the smell of smoke or do you think it would work to take out the smell of farm. i got some clothes from a friend and they smell like farm a bit but they are so cute, do you think the white vinegar would work for that as well

I'm yet to find any smell that vinegar doesn't get rid of! It's definitely worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->