stupid country, stupid backward country

mwah_xx

Reaction score
I just want to moan.

I have been applying for jobs on and off for a year (currently a sahm to my DS) and finally got offered interviews with a job I really wanted to do the week I found out I was pregnant again. The interviews went well and they offered me the job.

Now fast forward to waiting for my offer and contract and HR has just rang me and because I told them I am pregnant it is their policy not to hire anybody that is pregnant and to come back to them once I have delivered. It just totally sucks and I am truly fed up.

I feel I should have been dishonest and not told them that I am pregnant (9 weeks today so truly I didn't have to) but I didn't want to start on the wrong point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No point to this rant I just wanted to complain and get it out my system before I ring the really lovely hiring guy. No sarcasm there he truly was lovely.

Ah hon that really sucks!

I started a new job last year and the policy at my company is every new employee gets a one year fixed contract which then gets turned into a permant contract so long as everyone is happy - mine becomes permanent in October, I'm just trying to not let on at work that I'm pregnant until I've signed the new contract, just in case!!

Aw that sucks, getting the short end of the stick cause you decided to be honest.
I'm waiting on knowing if I get a promotion at my job and honestly I'm trying to not tell my boss until he lets me know for sure because I don't want my pregnancy to influence his decision. It sucks but I feel like he would be biased if he knew.

Technically it's illegal to not employ someone because they are pregnant xx

Technically it's illegal to not employ someone because they are pregnant xx

Unfortunately that depends where in the world you are and here its not illegal. Backwards bloody place, wish I was back in the UK!!

https://money.cnn.com/2014/07/25/news/economy/rights-pregnant-workers/

I hope this works for you, but yes, regardless of where you are in the UK it is illegal. You can sue them for unfair discrimination. X

Just realised you said you weren't in the uk, but it's also the case in the USA as well xx

Unfortunately I'm in Dubai and they haven't quite got up to speed with equality...damnit!

mwah, I've worked in Dubai and yeah it's not illegal. In fact I worked in recruitment and have had to reject people we've previously accepted due to pregnancy. I didn't agree with it and it was amongst the hardest things I've had to do in my career life. And I'm very sorry you had to go through that. I would very much like to go back to work right now but can't because I wouldn't be accepted. Pre-employment medical tests also include X-rays which I wouldn't feel comfortable doing at the moment anyway.

I will say though that we have actually hired 2 pregnant women during my last year there. One was in the early stages of pregnancy. She accidentally let it slip to someone else who felt like they had to tell me...but I let it go out the other ear. She was already accepted and signed her employment contract. We hired another lady because the manager was fed up of not finding the right employee for his office he didn't care that she was pregnant and even said "she better be entitled to full maternity leave,".

You know, when you said "stupid backward country," and I realized this post was about work...I thought, is there any country more backward than this one in terms of pregnant women's right to employment?! turned out to be the same one!

Unfortunately that depends where in the world you are and here its not illegal. Backwards bloody place, wish I was back in the UK!![/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about missing on the job right now! Expats make life very interesting, that is for sure. Here in China it is still okay to specify you must be a good looking girl between 18 and 25 to get a position like a secretary and it is perfectly okay to turn someone down because they do not yet have a child (not even for being pregnant, just not having their one baby)

mwah, I've worked in Dubai and yeah it's not illegal. In fact I worked in recruitment and have had to reject people we've previously accepted due to pregnancy. I didn't agree with it and it was amongst the hardest things I've had to do in my career life. And I'm very sorry you had to go through that. I would very much like to go back to work right now but can't because I wouldn't be accepted. Pre-employment medical tests also include X-rays which I wouldn't feel comfortable doing at the moment anyway.

I will say though that we have actually hired 2 pregnant women during my last year there. One was in the early stages of pregnancy. She accidentally let it slip to someone else who felt like they had to tell me...but I let it go out the other ear. She was already accepted and signed her employment contract. We hired another lady because the manager was fed up of not finding the right employee for his office he didn't care that she was pregnant and even said "she better be entitled to full maternity leave,".

You know, when you said "stupid backward country," and I realized this post was about work...I thought, is there any country more backward than this one in terms of pregnant women's right to employment?! turned out to be the same one!

I know just so frustrating!! Lucky for me that the guy is English and understands and is about to attempt to see if their is any other way round this!!

Please keep your fingers crossed!!

They were doing so well allowing women to work on housewife visas, potential part time coming into play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->