STUPID MISTAKE!!!! Spray painted!

kdmalk

Reaction score
So we are having this big box car race thing at our local Relay for Life event this coming Friday. I am working on making our car today. Bought all the spray paint and took my (huge) box outside. There is a pretty good breeze, so I thought everything would be fine. Well, the project took a LOT longer than I thought because I was having trouble getting the words on the box to cover completely, so I was out there for over 30-40 minutes just painting away. I was upwind for the most part, but I did get a number of accidental whiffs when the wind would suddenly change direction (it's about to storm). And I have paint all over my fingers as well (and can't get it off).

Am I the dumbest person in the universe or what? No mask, no gloves, and then decided to google if I should even be doing this AFTER THE FACT. Apparently spray paint is like the biggest paint no-no and I'm outside taking a freaking BATH in it. Not my wisest moment.

Has anyone else ever done quite a bit of spray painting in one day? I feel like I have probably harmed the baby. I can't believe I have been so stupid. My next appointment is this Friday. Guess we will find out exactly how much damage I have done.

I even texted the hubby to inform him that I have probably maimed or murdered our child. Sigh.

First, relax. You used the paint in a well ventilated area and most the time was upwind from it, so you probably inhaled little. Nothing can be done to un-inhale it now, and being anxious about it is not good for you or the baby.

I would do the best that you can to remove it from your fingers, be sure to get plenty of fresh air and stay hydrated, and relax.

I think you hear about spray paint being bad because people sometimes huff it, THAT would be bad. This is what I found:

Currently, there are no studies that document harm to the baby during normal and incidental exposure to paint (i.e. painting a room). The only studies that note a potential for miscarriage and malformations has to do with the higher levels of exposure through recreational use (sniffing and inhaling regularly).

If you have been exposed to paint, rest assured that the likelihood of any problems is low. According to the FDA, today’s paints do not contain lead and are probably not dangerous. Let your health care provider know of any paint exposure and together you can discuss the potential risk.

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/paint-and-pregnancy/

Lots of people paint the nursery during pregnancy, with a lot more paint on the walls in a lot less ventilated space. You then inhale that for days after...I don't think using some spray paint outside is going to cause any problems.

What I was reading is that the solvents and chemicals found in spray paint are different than regular paints and make them more harmful. That is why I am so worried.

Also,

Spray Paints

Spray paints can contain a variety of organic solvents (Paul, ed., 1993). As previously mentioned, high levels of exposure to organic solvents have been associated with a higher rate of miscarriage. The concern with spray paints is that due to the larger quantity of mist generated, the amount of solvent inhaled may be considerably greater. Spray painting in an occupational setting will more likely release more airborne solvent than spray painting around the home or for art projects. It is recommended that precautions be taken to minimize exposure and reduce any potential risk, e.g., keeping the painted area ventilated and wearing protective clothing.

https://fetal-exposure.org/paint/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->