Stupid stupid stupid NHS!!!!! *Rant, may offend*

I rang and they said it was a space issue, I emailed a question into them asking if they could make an exception. They said it is now their policy that nobody under the age of 16 be present.

They're either lying through their backsides or don't know their own policies.

Private scan is booked and I'm very very excited :) X

thats awful. On my letter it just says they prefer children not to go. My Oh and baby are coming. But they will just sit outside scan room if they get funny

my hospital is just the same way, before my scan i was required to sign paper work. All it had on it were BOLD "NO's" then followed by what you were not allowed to do. (example: NO pictures NO children) ... yeah i wasn't even allowed pics at mine because it was a "medical exam". I was upset too, my daughter is 3 and i would have LOVED to share with her seeing her brother or sister and heck yeah child care is hard to find. Good Luck, hope you find a way to work it out. I read on a few of the posts trying elective scans..i know i will be doing this later on so my daughter is able to share in with us.

you havent responded to any of the antenatel care posts, but for the sake of your unborn baby I would highly recommend you either go for full private care asap or re book your appointments with your midwife, its very important to your unborn child!

Rather than cancelling all your medical care, which personally I think is highly irresponsible, why not just do what I am doing and go privately for your scan(s) but carry on seeing your midwife as standard?

My local hospital don't allow babies or young children to go along to scans under any circumstances either so even if I wanted an NHS scan I couldn't have one unless my OH sat out in the waiting room with Findlay.

Thats ridiculous. I went with my aunt, her 6 year old and her 2 year old, we all got in the room. As you said, a child on a knee isn't taking up anymore room!

The scan IS a medical scan, a 12 week scan is to date the pregnancy and look for any abnormalities that can be seen at that point. a 20 week scan is an anomaly scan to make sure there are no abnormalities seen.

at the end of the day they are there to make sure the baby is ok, and yes they are a lovely and a reassuring thing to see and share, but thats not their purpose. if you want a scan like that then you need to get it done privately.

im imagining they wouldnt allow your child in in case they got bored and started crying or getting a bit noisy, and you cant expect them to allow you to bring your child in and not allow other parents to! the sonographer needs to be able to do their job properly and they might not be able to with a child in their...imagine trying to do your job with a child screaming in the same room, its not easy :)

remember that your midwifery care is there for yours and your baby's wellbeing and we all want the best for our little ones! dont quote me on this but i think if you miss two or three midwife appointments the midwife has to inform social services too.

I had this exact problem myself, I have no family here all abroad. I have to travel on 2 buses to get to the hospital 2 hours each way....we couldnt have got back in time to pick our 6 year old up so after phoning them to be told no we cant have him in with us....I had to keep my 15 year old off school (luckily he wasnt doing any modules for his gcses that day)and he had to look after our little un in the waiting area.....a lot of stress and extra expense in bus fair!!!

I feel so bad for you. At my first appointment i had my mom and my best friend, at the second i will have my sister and my oh. When i talked to doc about this she said she allows whoever the person getting scanned wants because especially if there is something wrong you want loved ones there. I would rather cancel and switch OB's than go to my scans without my family so i feel you. If they cant do their jobs with a child in the room then maybe they need more training? I know that seems harsh but people have children and childcare can be expensive. Maybe if they allow no children they should have a free child care program there? I dunno. Good luck with whatever you choose, love. You know we'll support and be there for you.

I remember william came with me on one occasional he got to sit on the bed beside me while watching the screen while being scanned, docs thought he was lovely and carers and midwives near stole him . He was with me on all scans even the 20 week one where your woman was going on like she was kneading my womb and it hurt! didnt even get to finish my scan over her.They even had a play area in the waiting room.

Sounds fair to me, my hospital work the same way.

What a bummer. I hope you are able to get the care you need, however it works out. I would be especially concerned about having a home birth when attempting VBAC. Could be dangerous. I would strongly recommend rethinking rejecting NHS support, whatever the reasons, unless you've got a private plan laid out. Best of luck to you either way hun. :hugs:

I can't believe they wouldn't allow a 7 month old in! That's crazy!

Although your decision of course, i don't think turning all medical treatment down is the best route to take...

Still, its free... and a lot more than a lot of countries get, so perhaps count yourself lucky?? also, god forbid if the scanner missed something subtle because their brain wasnt 100% on the task in hand because of a child crying, talking etc whilst the scan is happening....

Sorry to be so blunt but I have to agree with several other ladies on this thread, if they do not allow your 7 month old child into the scan but your OH can sit and wait for you with your child in the waiting room then im afraid i don't see the issue. I would be perfectly happy for my DH to do this because i have the support from him being there for which ever way it turns out. I can see why they wouldnt allow children into the scan and although my trust do i have arranged alternate care for my daughter for all of my scans but if this was not possible and this was my local NHS trusts policy or procedure then my DH would be in the waiting room with DD.

I also have to agree that you have been highly irresponsible cancelling all of your future midwife appointments & not only your unborn child's health but your own health too. Unless of course you are going to be paying for private care for the upcoming months until your baby is born.

I doubt that in such an emergency you would shun their care in this manor. Just because you want a home birth it dosent mean that you WILL DEFINITELY have a home birth. I didn't want a C-Section with my first but i ended up with one.

It said in the letter I got from my hospital children were not allowed but they do have creche facilities. Have you checked with your hospital they may have a creche?

Unless you can afford to pay for full private care babe I wouldn't do anything rash, go for your private scan and see how you feel after that. Even for a home birth you would have to hire in private midwives which would probably cost a fortune!

Take care, xx

I'm sorry with my two boys they did let anyone under 12 in. I am switching hospitals this time. Its a much smaller one but they will allow the birth video taped and my oldest son can be a part of the birth too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->