sunken soft spot ... ill baby ... lactose

Haych86

Reaction score
My little man has been ill all weekend with diarreah and generally under the weather. He was sick really bad on friday night and took very little feeds saturday and slept all day. But sunday seemed to pick up a little although not taking all or his usual amount of 5-6oz at each feed he was taking 3-4oz every 2 hours which was adding up to the same amount he usually had over the day just more frequent feeds. Seemed more alert and happy had diarreah but very wet nappies and didnt seem to fussed about anything. But today when he woke for his 7.30am feed he had more diarreah and it was more watery and greasy and horrible smelling than usual he took 5oz of a feed then went back to sleep until 9am when he woke crying a pityful cry and had more diarreah. I called the docs and took him in to see them at 12.00pm She checked him over and because of his previous problems with acid reflux (or so we think) she has given me a sample bottle for his poo. Have to take this back tomorrow to get tested for lactose intolerance.

So we brought him home carried on feeding him as we were to keep fluids in him and gave water aswell. But his soft spot seems sunken altho his nappies are wet (aswell as diarreah) he is very sleepy again and just doesnt seem right. The doc never mentioned his head at the appointment I saw her check. But as his nappies r still wet ... is he dehydrated? he's having 3-4oz at each feed of every 2 hours usally takes 5-6 every 2.5-3 hours ?

Should I do anything other than offer water and feed as I am? Should I contact the docs again or? Poor baby boy

ring nhs direct straight away, it's better to be told nothing is wrong than to not do anything and wonder. I'm sure everything is okay but you have to be careful with the soft spot x x

I'd contact the docs again ASAP; my eldest was severely dehydrated (although younger than your LO) but mw/hv kept saying he was ok because he was weeing enough; but he wasn't he had to be on a drip for a couple of days in the SCBU alongside being treated for his jaundice. Better safe than sorry. Don't worry too much about the lactose intolerance; its usually short lived in babies but you may need to switch to a lactose free formula for a bit. Since lactose is important to baby's development they like to make sure lactose intolerance really is the problem and have you using the lactose free formula for as short a time as possible.

my boy had this and still has it over a month now after me and oh got a tummy bug. He was feeding as normal and they told me as long as he was taking his feeds he should be ok. Ive got him tested for lactose intolerance and i got the results tomorrow they are in but the doctor wants to see me so im assuming that hes got a lactose intolerance but im assuming its only temporary as he was fine until we got the bug.

I would also ring nhs and see if there is a walk in centre nearby that you can take him to. I would also consider taking him to A & E..the reason for that is i got no where with the drs and i took him to A & E and they checked everything...thats if you dont get any joy.

If he seems happy in himself and is taking fluid and wetting nappies he should be fine and i would just stick to the dr's appointment tomorrow but if your really worried i would ring the nhs first for advice.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->