Swearing... Is there any need?

angelandbump

Working Mum :o)
Reaction score
Years ago, hearing a lady swear was foul yet now, it is rare to go out to your local shops with out a women or man or even kids f'ing and blinding.

Even on B&B, the language has been appalling in some cases. Don't get me wrong, I have sworn but NEVER in front of my son and never in front of my parents, they would still be upset with me if I did but I would never dream of using it in a way I have seen others.

Have we turned into a culture that just doesn't care as much about the words we use to express our selves?
Do you think it is ok to swear in front of a child because they will hear it outside anyway?
Is it worse to hear a woman swear than a man?
Or...
Is swearing really not that bad as it's just words and can't hurt anyone and people just blow them out of context?

I think people have stopped caring so much.

I do swear sometimes, but not usually in public, and i wont be swearing in front of my son, as i'd be mortified if he repeated it to others. I swear the most during arguments - but i think that's because i don't have a huge vocabulary and cant find the words to express how i feel, or how i think others are behaving, which i guess is fine when arguing with someone on the same level with me, but i'd never win an argument with someone smart lol.

I really don't like to hear people swearing at or around their kids.

It's inappropriate and I don't see the need for it. I don't swear at all apart from having said "damn" a few times when I was younger. We have an incredibly rich language and yet you hear teenagers talking in sentences where literally every other word starts with f. It's not cool, funny or clever, and I really do not understand why people do it.

I don't think it's ever okay to swear in front of children. It does shock me more when I hear women, particularly old ladies, doing it but it's no worse. I think it is perpetuated because young people hear it all around them and on the media, and sadly the English language is changing rapidly with so much of it being lost.

I do swear a lot :blush::blush: But never in public or in front of kids. Me and my best friend just talk like that, but we are careful. She has 4 yr old triplets and we both always take care when they are around not to curse/
I do agree it is bad and I should not do it, but at least I do control it.
:flower::flower:

I get told off if my mum hears me swear or any part of her side of the family, They are all snobby. They would actually stop conversation with you and show disgust if your swore. I was threatened many of time with eloqurtion lessons when I was a child I didnt want to go I wanted to speak how I did so was told off if I let slip even forgetting the G at the end of things like "mornin" which would be local accent sounding. So annoying when I was young. Course II speak how I want to and dont get told off now but I do not curse around them its rude. I hate when my other half is talking to someone and he curses ! they dont curse to him but he would to them it makes me cringe.

I swear when i'm angry and its not due to lack of vocabulary......... i dont swear in general conversation/at my children or every other word type thing, but when it comes to using it with emotion i.e anger/pain then yes i do. i find it very hard to control it when i am angry thankfully i am rarely angry.

I remember reading an article about research in the use of swearing and it dates back to way back when that in every language, there is 'forbidden' words and when used with emotion it ignites a part of the brain the triggers the fight or flight response which makes our hearts rates climb and and gets our adrenalin going and we become less sensitive to pain and it helps vent alot of anger and reduce pain we are feeling either physically or mentally. its very interesting, although i dont atually like swearing or hearing swear words, it annoys me more when its used every other word without emotion attached to it iykwim x

I think it's completely unnecessary. We have the words to express ourselves, swearing should not be part of conversation. I have done it a few times, but I didn't like hearing myself because to me it meant that I had lost some portion of self-control, like I was so angry that all I could think of were swear words.

I don't think it's worse to hear swearing from a woman than from a man, but I do think it's worse to hear it from someone older than from someone younger. Perhaps that's because I expect more from older generations, they're more mature and shouldn't need to swear to express their viewpoint.

No. i hardly ever swear. My OH on the other hand has a terrible swearing habit :(!

It's inappropriate and I don't see the need for it. I don't swear at all apart from having said "damn" a few times when I was younger. We have an incredibly rich language and yet you hear teenagers talking in sentences where literally every other word starts with f. It's not cool, funny or clever, and I really do not understand why people do it.

I don't think it's ever okay to swear in front of children. It does shock me more when I hear women, particularly old ladies, doing it but it's no worse. I think it is perpetuated because young people hear it all around them and on the media, and sadly the English language is changing rapidly with so much of it being lost.

When i used to work and get the bus to and from work I used to literally cringe at some people talking to their friends :dohh: swear words in places that didn't even need any words 'she did this then f-ing went to her brothers then f-ing she went to her mums'.. what the hell.

I despise swearing, it sounds so awful and nasty.

I dont swear at all, and i turn off movies, music etc if i hear swear words. Doesnt leave much to watch tho :(

Hearing people swear at or in front of their kids is the worst. Disgusting.

I swear but NEVER in front of the kids!! That's just plain wrong, IMO. I say mild swearing...usually jokingly. I have never sworn at anyone, I don't think...well, that's not true actually...there has been one or two times I suppose. LOL I middle-fingured a guy just last week actually. He laid on his horn at me because I stopped at a crosswalk to let someone cross. Go figure! Jerk. One thing I really don't like, is when people use the Lord's name in vain. It's just nasty. I also don't use vile words, such as the C word etc. I don't swear when fighting with hubby...never have, and he has never either. When my besties and I get together we will get silly and say some swears talking about sex and guys etc...all in good fun, and like I said NEVER EVER around the kids.

I dont swear at all, and i turn off movies, music etc if i hear swear words. Doesnt leave much to watch tho :(

There is just so much swearing in movies...what are you able to watch??? Or do you just mean lots of swearing? I mean, besides G rated movies, I can't think of many where there isn't at least some swearing.

I never swore in front of my parents (never even said the word 'crap' or 'piss') until I was about 18 or 19. My sister swears like a drunken sailor. :p I think it's foul sounding, especially coming from a woman...okay, okay call me sexist!

I do say f--k!!!! whenever I hurt myself really bad like stub my toe or stab my finger or something :p Or "Oh s--t!" when I forget something. It's always under my breath though and never in front of adults, let alone children.

My cousin's 3 year old has said things like, "Leave me the f--k alone" on multiple occasions though :O His parents fight in front of him...a lot. It's sad! I'm just waiting for him to say it in church one of these days!!

There is just so much swearing in movies...what are you able to watch??? Or do you just mean lots of swearing? I mean, besides G rated movies, I can't think of many where there isn't at least some swearing.

No it doesnt leave much to watch, one or two swear words (no F or the C word tho) in a otherwise tame movie ill watch but i find there's either no swearing, a couple of words or swearing throughout. The latter being the most common.

So yes we watch alot of kids movies. Or G or PG rated movies. Anything with a higher rating i pretty much avoid now!!

EG - Today i went to watch Erin Brockovich. 3 mins into the movie there had already been 3 F***s!, a A** hole and a S**t - so i turned it off! I wont watch anything violent or that shows sex scenes etc. Like i said i dont watch anything thats not suitable for kids basically

I heard William swearing and he does it in the same way as his uncle does, they have English accents so he swears in one particular instance when in his car. It makes my blood boil as I know he heard it from them! for him you only need to sat a word once. I managed to replace "f in hell " with Duck in a well . Thanks other halfs family :( Darrens brother just speaks in swear and forgets about William being there. I tore in to him for it one day. (darrens brother I mean).

I swear. I only do it in certain situations. I know when it is appropriate to swear and when it is inappropriate to swear. I don't have a problem with it. I don't like the C word though, that takes it too far.

Just want to clarify that the times I do swear I never use the C word :blush: that word is so vile and disgusting. I maybe used that word 5x in my life and I am 41.. I just hate that word and I hate when women call women it...:flower:

the c word is just another swear word. idk why people find it so offensive.

I agree i dont understand how **** is any more offensive than any other swear words x

the c word is just another swear word. idk why people find it so offensive.

Where I come from it is very offensive. Like if I say to a woman F* CK YOU that means ya know go your own way mind your business, but the C word is personal like your a disgusting dirty whore bitch slut , it just is vile where I come from. And is only said really from one woman to another. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->