Swearing... Is there any need?

I despise swearing, it sounds so awful and nasty.

I dont swear at all, and i turn off movies, music etc if i hear swear words. Doesnt leave much to watch tho :(

Hearing people swear at or in front of their kids is the worst. Disgusting.

There is just so much swearing in movies...what are you able to watch??? Or do you just mean lots of swearing? I mean, besides G rated movies, I can't think of many where there isn't at least some swearing.

No it doesnt leave much to watch, one or two swear words (no F or the C word tho) in a otherwise tame movie ill watch but i find there's either no swearing, a couple of words or swearing throughout. The latter being the most common.

So yes we watch alot of kids movies. Or G or PG rated movies. Anything with a higher rating i pretty much avoid now!!

EG - Today i went to watch Erin Brockovich. 3 mins into the movie there had already been 3 F***s!, a A** hole and a S**t - so i turned it off! I wont watch anything violent or that shows sex scenes etc. Like i said i dont watch anything thats not suitable for kids basically

Oh yes...that is a bad one for swearing!!! LOL!

It's a really good film though, shame you couldn't get past the F's ,A's and S's !!! It really does only leave you with kids films I suppose...

i wouldn't say I never swear, but I do hate it and I hate when I have done it! The only time really is with my husband in a fight and then i feel terrible, although i do find myself saying bloody a lot which inst a terrible word but i wish i hadn't got in that habbit.

I try to avoid movies with swearing, well i now avoid all 18 rated movies, because i just find they are too much, whether that be swearing, violence, sex whatever.
I don't think swearing is about lack of vocabulary, although it definitely is for some people, but for the majority i think its a habit and because swearing is so common its normalised that we feel we need to use it and once you start its just normal for you too.

I don't think it sounds nice though.

I have started doing the same with movies. I love bridget jones but i found the language in the second movie foul and it ruined it for me.

I also hate the term "shut up!" TennisGal. No one has said it twice to me though lol :haha:

I think I would be more offended if someone called me scum than a ****. I guess I see **** as more just a word of anger/frustration whereas scum is telling me I'm worthless.

I'd rather be called a cow ,bitch ,wanker ,knob head, a hole.... If you called me a scum bag I'd dieeee!!!!!
I agree with you natsku, there's a time and a place for swearing and it's all about expression. Putting an F word into a sentence makes you sound as though you mean it!! I asked my 12 yr old if he swears the other day and he said he did..Good boy for not lying! ... He did say though that he'd never swear in front of us because it's not a nice thing for mums and dads to hear.... Not sure he realises how much we do it!

I think I would be more offended if someone called me scum than a ****. I guess I see **** as more just a word of anger/frustration whereas scum is telling me I'm worthless.

I'd rather be called a cow ,bitch ,wanker ,knob head, a hole.... If you called me a scum bag I'd dieeee!!!!!
I agree with you natsku, there's a time and a place for swearing and it's all about expression. Putting an F word into a sentence makes you sound as though you mean it!! I asked my 12 yr old if he swears the other day and he said he did..Good boy for not lying! ... He did say though that he'd never swear in front of us because it's not a nice thing for mums and dads to hear.... Not sure he realises how much we do it!

Wow, a 12 year old that's honest with his parents - you've done a good job there!

Yes I do think swearing is just as valid as any other part of language and if its not used as an insult I don't really understand why people get offended. My dad actually looks like he's in physical pain if he hears someone say "fuck" - I just don't get it

i wouldn't say I never swear, but I do hate it and I hate when I have done it! The only time really is with my husband in a fight and then i feel terrible, although i do find myself saying bloody a lot which inst a terrible word but i wish i hadn't got in that habbit.

I try to avoid movies with swearing, well i now avoid all 18 rated movies, because i just find they are too much, whether that be swearing, violence, sex whatever.
I don't think swearing is about lack of vocabulary, although it definitely is for some people, but for the majority i think its a habit and because swearing is so common its normalised that we feel we need to use it and once you start its just normal for you too.

I don't think it sounds nice though.

I have started doing the same with movies. I love bridget jones but i found the language in the second movie foul and it ruined it for me.

I also hate the term "shut up!" TennisGal. No one has said it twice to me though lol :haha:

I know, so many films could have been so much nicer if they didn't feel the need to add so much swearing to them.

swearing in films doesnt bother me, but what i do hate is the sex scenes or shower scenes or any unnecessary nudity ...........whats the point.?........i dont want to see people kiss and have sex or look at someones tits when i'm watching a movie..........its annoying........!!! lol.

Wow, a 12 year old that's honest with his parents - you've done a good job there!

Yes I do think swearing is just as valid as any other part of language and if its not used as an insult I don't really understand why people get offended. My dad actually looks like he's in physical pain if he hears someone say "fuck" - I just don't get it
Last week whilst at his friends house all the kids were watching The Inbetweeners... It's a vile 18 cert film. He came home and asked if he was allowed to watch it... Errr no!!
Stupid boy to come and ask, I'd have just watched it and kept my mouth shut at that age... !!!!:haha:

ahhhhhhhhhhh bless him Tina, i'm sure he'll learn ha ha ha ha ha x

I do think like for some Films and TV shows..for some absurd reason, swearing adds to the comic effect. Is that weird?........like inbetweeners.... incidentally, I completely forgot I do use some words from there eg... they coined the phrase "bus w*nkers" referring to people who use the bus and I sometimes tell DH "I hate being a bus-w*nker"

I want to take back my original post because it appears I might swear without realizing it..hmm

I swear a lot :/

I admit i have sworn in front of the kids but not at them.

I have curbed it a lot after my 2 year old started to repeat some of my choice words.

I think we live in society now where pretty much anything goes.

But when i hear parents swear at their kids, it angers me.

V xxx

I've always sworn and it's pointless but a habit is a habit I guess.
Once Zane copied me and I told him it was a naughty word and mummy shouldn't of said it. So no if I slip up and say a bad word and he hears he tells me off and if he's cheeky and swears I tell him off.
Before I had kids I'd never swear on the bus, in public if children were around, it drives me mad when ppl f and blind on the bus and they can clearly see young children are there and can hear them

Swearing in films/tv programmes/ songs etc dosen't bother me.

More programmes like Supernanny, OBEM where there is children in them, they make me more anxious than anything else.

V xxx

I swear but I don't use the 'f' word much and I can not abide the 'c' word, I can't envisage any time where it's appropriate. I mostly say bloody, crap, chuffing, bugger, sod, knackers and bollocks. My husband swears too much and it really gets on my nerves.

I don't think swearing is unnecessary. They're used to express oneself just like any other words. I don't take offence to others' foul language, there are many worse ways to use your words than swearing.

I won't have Lucas swearing because it's inappropriate language for a child to use and he could pass it onto his friends, but when he's older it won't bother me. I swear infront of my Mum, it's just part of the language where I'm from.

For me, they're just words like any other. :) I reel it in when I'm in public or around family because not everyone feels the same, but in general I don't focus on the letters strung together but rather the meaning behind them.

Swearing in general doesn't bother me. At the end of the day they are just words. However I think there is a time & a place....in front of kids & old people for me is completely inappropriate. On a night in the pub with friends, perfectly fine for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->