Swearing... Is there any need?

Maybe in the UK it is not taken like in the US? I don't know , but it is way different here for a woman to say to another F*CK YOU and your a C...
I don't know why it just is :flower:

its seen that way here too but i dont think its any worse than any of the other name calling swears.

its seen that way here too but i dont think its any worse than any of the other name calling swears.

To me it is just a bit more insulting and personal. I just never use that word , only rarely and the times I have used it the person deserved it... :haha::haha:

i thought:

**** basically means vagina and when calling someone a **** your basically saying thats all they are, thats all their worth iykwim.

I think bitch is the more common one in the UK that females call other females.

personally i think all swear words are just as rude/insulting/disgusting and offensive as the next.

When I was younger, like late teens early twenties, I used to swear, not overly so, but enough for it to be noticeable. I think its crude. I can't stand it when people swear, more so infront of children.

I do get why people swear, it emphasises things and feelings. But, perhaps we need to work more toward broadening our vocab like its just as easy to say

"I am absolutely livid. I am so furious with this incompetent person, who just cannot work to my standard"

as opposed to

" I am seriously f*cked off. I am so pi**ed off with this w*nker who can't do things the right way"

Both sentences are saying the same thing, just that one is normal vocab, and the other is swearing.

Conversely, one can argue that people make language so rigid and boring, and that swearing allows for some creativity. x

lightworker i had to giggle at your comparisons. i wish i could use more of the first example!

I do swear when i am angry but i really really try not to and even though i have the vocabulary to use other language i dont and i dont know why..............its almost automatic.
I would like to think there is something valid and normal as it were to the use of 'bad language' when used with emotion.

either that or i need a swear pot.!!!!!!!!!

this makes me sound quite bad really... honestly... people rarely/or never hear me swear and i dont swear at the kids its a rare thing for me and i cant bare to hear swearing every other word and tell people off for it but what i cant seem to control is my language when angry.....i am also angry very rarely, it takes alot to make angry enough that swear words do spill out of my mouth but it still happens.

My names smelly07 and i swear lots when i'm angry.:blush:

Lol Smelly...we all have our addictions hahah

saying that, I have been known to swear when in pain - a few months ago I tumbled down the stairs and rammed my knee into the bottom stair gate... the expletives that came out of my mouth, lol..I didn't even know I had them in me haha x

hahahahahah ^^^^^^^^

yep i think its an inbuilt thing which is totally normal when used with emotion, well thats what i keep telling myself anyway! :haha:

I think that swearing is an important part of our language, but I do think that it is overused and that too many people are not careful about where and when they use it.

I used to , admittedly, be quite bad for swearing. Now though, I'm not at all, especially around Summer. Worst thing I ever say in front of her is 'shit' and that's when I drop something and it slips out before I can stop myself.

Honestly, I HATE hearing people swear in everyday conversation but I do think that it is getting worse. I despise people swearing in front of Summer.

Last week we were in a Weatherspoons family restaurant place and there was this guy at the table over from us, drunk, and his language was appalling. At one point in conversation he said along the lines of ''I'm gonna walk up to him one day, pull out my blade and go STAB STAB '' whilst making the gesture. Well, next minute Summer was waving her hands about going ''stab ,stab''. I was so so annoyed.

Kids are the worst in my experience. Or parents swearing at their kids, especially on buses. I cringe for them knowing that the whole bus can hear what they are saying and how appalling their vocabulary is, really there is just no need!

I despise swearing, it sounds so awful and nasty.

I dont swear at all, and i turn off movies, music etc if i hear swear words. Doesnt leave much to watch tho :(

Hearing people swear at or in front of their kids is the worst. Disgusting.

There is just so much swearing in movies...what are you able to watch??? Or do you just mean lots of swearing? I mean, besides G rated movies, I can't think of many where there isn't at least some swearing.

No it doesnt leave much to watch, one or two swear words (no F or the C word tho) in a otherwise tame movie ill watch but i find there's either no swearing, a couple of words or swearing throughout. The latter being the most common.

So yes we watch alot of kids movies. Or G or PG rated movies. Anything with a higher rating i pretty much avoid now!!

EG - Today i went to watch Erin Brockovich. 3 mins into the movie there had already been 3 F***s!, a A** hole and a S**t - so i turned it off! I wont watch anything violent or that shows sex scenes etc. Like i said i dont watch anything thats not suitable for kids basically

Oh yes...that is a bad one for swearing!!! LOL!

I agree i dont understand how **** is any more offensive than any other swear words x

Yeah, it's a really bad one here. But, didn't someone say that in the UK, scum is really bad...whereas here, not so much. LOL

I would say that there's two levels, the words that are more rude than meant to hurt (crap, piss, @$$), and the words that are meant to cause hurt and emotional upset (@$$h*le, f***, s***, b*tch, the c word).

I never swore before I met my ex but now I do all the time. Not proud of it :shrug: Just can't stop.

I never swore as a kid and very very rarely as a teenager, until I got a job in a kitchen. Then I learnt why cooks/chefs tend to be rather foul mouthed! In a very frustrating and stressful situation, swear words really do help ease it.

Apart from that, as I've grown older, I've begun to question why people are so against swear words. There's nothing inherently wrong with the words themselves, of course, as they're just words, so the problem is the connotations that society places on those words. So I think why should I let society limit my use of vocabulary beyond considering my audience?
I will teach Maria that there is nothing wrong with certain words, but that when she is choosing what words to use, she should consider her audience (for example, I try not to swear in front of someone who hasn't already sworn in front of me, so as not to cause offence)
I never swear in front of my parents though, they'd kill me :haha:

I think I would be more offended if someone called me scum than a ****. I guess I see **** as more just a word of anger/frustration whereas scum is telling me I'm worthless.

I'm funny about swearing...clearly, never in front of my kids...but I do drop the odd f word, sh word or bugger when they aren't around. Normally in a stressed situation. I tend to have my own chapter and verse of swear words...which are just silly words.

My most hated words are actually 'shut up'. I think it's so derogatory and rude. I don't blaspheme, either.

I hate over swearing, and I never swear in front of my family. They go mental!

I don't mind about people swearing, as long as its not in front of my kids...and it's not just overly excessive.

There are other words that get my back up more, from an annoyance factor! I can't stand 'like' every two seconds 'it was, like, totally his fault, like' and I hate 'nom nom'

What a weirdo ;)

I swear. I do not use it in everyday language, but I do use it when I am very angry or very stressed out. I do not over use it though and try my hardest not to say swear words in front of the kids.... although I am not innocent and my children have heard the odd swear word, however, I believe they hear more in the playground at school than they do at home.
I don't like the term/word Mother******, I think that is very offensive and I also don't like the word c**t. I cannot say exactly why I don't like it, but it really grates me when people use it!

It would be interesting to know where the known swear words originate, and why they are classed as 'swearing' - ie who decided that f**k is a swear word when it's litereal meaning is sexual intercourse. It does have 'extended' meanings that may be offensive, but again, where did they come from?

i wouldn't say I never swear, but I do hate it and I hate when I have done it! The only time really is with my husband in a fight and then i feel terrible, although i do find myself saying bloody a lot which inst a terrible word but i wish i hadn't got in that habbit.

I try to avoid movies with swearing, well i now avoid all 18 rated movies, because i just find they are too much, whether that be swearing, violence, sex whatever.

I don't think swearing is about lack of vocabulary, although it definitely is for some people, but for the majority i think its a habit and because swearing is so common its normalised that we feel we need to use it and once you start its just normal for you too.

I don't think it sounds nice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->