Swimming pools and babies?

We took LO swimming for the first time yesterday. She wasn't real impressed... I think the water was still a little too cool. Maybe once the lake warms up more we'll try again. We're going to the beach also just after she turns 3 months. :thumbup:

Started taking my LO at 6 months.

How old does baby have to be to go in the pool? Ava is just over 3 months is she too young?? its sooo hot here! Also anyone know the temp the water has to be/???

Thank you!!

Mariciana xx

We first took LO when she was 8 weeks. We were in for 20 minutes, but then they were pretty lightweight for their age. (definitely nowhere near 12lbs)

We were informed by Waterbabies and other swim companies we contacted that as long as their umbilical cord had dropped off and sealed that they could swim. Obviously if they were very small they would need to have a full body wetsuit and probably wouldn't be in for more than 20 minutes.

We started LO with Waterbabies when they were 12 weeks old. They initially weren't sure but we continued on with them. They love water now and when we go swimming in the public local pool loads of mothers comment on how confident she is in the water. We barely have to support her and if/when she goes under its no problems at all. she just bops back up. She can also easily hold herself up at the pool edge as she grabs on and puts her legs against the wall. All things taught in the lessons. (She's now 14 months)

The thing with the concern about jabs was from when the Polio vaccine was a live vaccine, when it used to be given orally on a sugar cube as it could potentially be passed about via vaccinated persons waste. This won't happen anymore given its not given the same way.

As long as the baby doesn't get too cold, so either dressed up warm or the waters warmer than a 'standard pool' there isn't really a minimum age (other than umbilical cord healed) but time will likely only be 10 minutes for a young baby

I first took Isaac at six weeks and we go0 nearly every week. WE do go to a special baby toddler session and my local pool is a tropical lagoon style so is a bit warmer. ISAac is really water confident, I let him crawl around in the shallows and he will go out deeper on his own and last night he was putting his face in the bath water for a second or two on purpose. I Think the earlier you take them the better.

well dipped her toes in was JUST 30.. and she hated it, I think a bit too cold still! Ill try again though once the pool warms up a bit more!

Thanks ladies! xx

i really want to take Oliver swimming but cos he's got eczema im not so sure? do you think it would be ok or would the chlorine make it worse?

My local pool will not let then until they have all jabs so four months I can wait to go she loves her bath so am looking forward to it

For swimming with a baby with eczema you can get eczema suits which allow you to cover them up with barrier cream then pop them into the pool with the suit on. It means you don't lose grip of them and it helps keep the barrier cream on. There's lots of varying ones, here's a link to waterbabies one:
https://www.waterbabies.co.uk/product.php?p=7

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->