Switching from JSA to Income Support

CaptainMummy

Reaction score
I am signing off JSA on Tuesday, and I am also going to phone and make my claim for income support on the same day (I will be 29+2)...

How long will it take for my claim to be processed and for me to receive payments? OH and I are really struggling atm, and I dont want to go ages receiving no money at all.
Also, when I apply over the phone, will I be asked to go to the job centre to sign stuff and prove my EDD?

Hopefully it wont take too long and I wont go any longer than usual receiving no payments. And I want to send off my SSMG form asap too.

Thanks in advance

I'm switching a week on monday to income support, signed on this morning and asked about it the lady said it shouldn't take as long as normal but you could be looking at 2-3 weeks to hear anything.
I'm also waiting to send off my surestart grant form but will have to wait until the income support is sorted before they will do anything

Good luck hope they don't take as long as normal, its a nightmare trying to run a house when they don't pay you for weeks, and then you ring up to find out about your claimand they tell you all you can do is wait or apply for a crisis loan

Oh GRRRRRRR dont get me started on this subject ! Sorry lol !!!!

I switched to income support coming up 3 weeks on monday. I rang last week just to see if they had my documents .. told me ring back this monday so i rang on monday i just wanted check if they had my documents (2 bank statements) as i had so much trouble with my JSA it took over a month!! And they said no.

Transferred me to about 10 different people seriously ... i was crying because i was so annoyed !! I asked them make me an appointment for yesterday so i went and he tried ask me the same questions as i answered on the phone NO i went to sort my income support out to get it sorted quicker.

AH !!!!!! i nearly punched him because he was so dumb n helpless !! Its ok for them they get paid what are we meant to live off for god sake !!

Anyway i spoke to someone else as said can i speak to someone else ... after about 10 minutes they spoke to me.

Anyway i THINK mine is being processed *FINGERS CROSSED*

I am 32 weeks tomorrow .... ive had my surestart grant form a month, its been signed and dated 6th october from my midwife and its still in my bedroom because i need this sorted to send off for my grant.

Anyway sorry about telling you my boring story .... seriously ask them on tuesday dont let them mess you about like they have me.

Its ridiculous it makes my blood boil !! I was so angry i was crying!

Rant over, sorry LOL x

hi hun went into jobcentre to make a new claim for IS last tuesday rang up to confirm my jsa had ended last thursday as they like you to take extra extra steps so that theres no error of overpayment. :S whilst on the phone the lady told me my claim for income support had been acknowledged and to expect notification within 10 days or so. my income supports being backdated i think which is brill if it goes to effect. but yes its been practically a week. just hoping i receive a payment tomorrow as like you say needing the money pronto :S best of luck. xx

is tuesday your normal signing day? Well if it is then you will receive 2 weeks jsa thats owed. Jsa is paid in arrears. This payment will come to you as normal by friday. This money would be two weeks money and sould last your normal two weeks and then you can live off that, as normal while your income support is being processed. Gives two weeks for processing to be completed.
As for an interview and evidence well the answer is yes. You will have to go in and take a matb1 with you. This is evidence that you are over 29 weeks ad entitiled to the income support. Otherwise how would processing know.
Do not send in your mat grant form until IS is in payment. Social fund wil not hold on to your form and wait for income support to process the claim but just send you a decision saying not entitiled as not 'in receipt' of a qualifying benefit.
Hope this helps. :)

when we did ours 2 years ago it was quick and painless I dont think we even noticed any gap in payment

omg this was the worst part of my pregnancy upto now! haha it took like a month for them to pay me anything..fair enough i did get backdated money but only once i had phoned EVERY DAY for about 2 weeks! They couldnt decide whether it was JSA or IS that owed me the money! Anyways i got it in the end!

I applied for the ssmg inbetween changing so i just put on the form that i was on jsa and by the time it came thru i was on IS but they just checked all that and that came pretty quick..its what actually kept me going whilst waiting for IS payment!!!

I also needed to go in to sign forms etc but all they went thru was milk tokens and ssmg and hip which i already knew about and i had to take in MATB1 cert!

Hope this helps you! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->