Syria

https://roseandmumandmore.com/2015/09/03/what-would-it-take-for-you-to-be-a-refugee/

I'd happily pay more tax to have decent refugee camps set up around the country, and I'm broke as hell in British terms. Flat pack housing, perhaps some aid from organizations such as Teachers Without Borders (since admittedly our schools are oversubscribed up and down the country). And if months look like they're going to turn into years, we'll cross that bridge when it comes. Like putting it bluntly, who gives a fuck? It's WAY past the point of 'ums' and 'uhs', just get them safe and we'll make it up as we go along. Imagine how many more will die when winter hits if we're still doing this then.

Admittedly I'm not totally versed on the politics within the Middle East so if I'm totally off the mark correct me, but it's disturbing that some of the wealthier Gulf states don't seem to be accepting refugees. Even so, we have the resources throughout the EU and if every EU country takes their proportionate share, the strain shouldn't be to much to bear. Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq have taken on a hell of a lot of refugees, so surely a banding of 28 countries can cope.

I never usually get involved in threads like this, but some of the views in here are concerning. So I'll just say this - my little boy is asleep upstairs, safe in his bed. There are many things I want for him that I might never be able to give him, but I feel very lucky that I will not have to go to sleep tonight fearing for his life. Every parent has the right to that. We need to help, what more will it take for people to see that?

I totally agree with what ickelmonster said.

We (by we I mean the vast majority of us born in this country) have free health care (at the point of use), free education, social security and no war, famine, severe political unrest etc. We have poverty, yes, but these refugees are fleeing from a situation which is far beyond what most of us can even imagine. It's on a different scale.

We are luckier than most of the world. A little compassion and humanity isn't much to ask when we get SO much. There is no one who wouldn't be asking the same if the tables were turned, and arguing that others might not help us in that situation as if that justifies our reticence is a cop out imo. Two wrongs don't make a right.

ETA I've no idea how it is possible to see that photo of that poor small boy dead on a beach and then start your next sentence with a "but...". If dead babies don't inspire compassion in people then I'm afraid nothing will.

The terrorism argument is a red herring and shows a misunderstanding of what ISIS is and wants.

ISIS wants to establish a fundamentalist Islamic caliphate in the Middle East. They are not especially interested in Britain. The threat to Britain is from Al Qaeda, as it has been for 20 years, and they prefer to convert on the ground rather than ship in terrorists.

That aside, the number of refugees that any Western country could realistically accept would be a drop in the bucket of the 1.5 million people who have now fled Syria. Increasing refugee numbers by a couple of thousand people per country is going to do nothing much. What's really needed is for people to be able to return to their homes in safety.

It's absolutely heart breaking. Short of donating money what can we personally as individuals do though?

I'm also curious as to how the boys ended up in the water yet their dad survived? If that was me or my OH we'd be straight in after him and save him or die trying.
I haven't read the entire story but how did they even end this way?

It wasnt a case of going in after him, the boat tipped and everyone was drowning. It was the middle of the night, pitch black, they were in the sea and there were 17 other people around him fighting to survive the water. By the time he found his sons, they were dead.

It's absolutely heart breaking. Short of donating money what can we personally as individuals do though?

I'm also curious as to how the boys ended up in the water yet their dad survived? If that was me or my OH we'd be straight in after him and save him or die trying.

It wasnt a case of going in after him, the boat tipped and everyone was drowning. It was the middle of the night, pitch black, they were in the sea and there were 17 other people around him fighting to survive the water. By the time he found his sons, they were dead.

How awful, impossible to even imagine how bad things are.
Makes you realise how lucky we are.

Ive cried so much over this. Ive felt helpless. Then I realised that actually we can help as individuals. Donate items, help people collecting,spread the word, sign petitions, educate people the facts. So yes, I still feel a bit helpless, but small steps x

Unfortunately his sister has been on sky new since saying that he survived because he took the only life jacket available. He chose himself over his kids.

Unfortunately his sister has been on sky new since saying that he survived because he took the only life jacket available. He chose himself over his kids.

:cry::cry: Oh Jesus, I hope this sin't true..WOW.... :(

The whole thing is just so sad, I am not even going to waste my time on here responding to to certain people as it is heartbreaking to think I live amoung people who could think so callously.

One thing I have to point out is that no one should judge a man for wearing a life jacket.

I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that he chose himself over his kids by taking the only life jacket. For a start, if it was an adult jacket it wouldn't have fit either of his children. Perhaps he thought that by keeping himself 'safe' he stood the best chance of also keeping his children safe. He maybe thought he'd be able to hold onto them, keep them afloat with him. I can't imagine the pain this man is going through, to effectively blame him for the death of his children, or to suggest he failed to protect them, is a bit of a low blow, in my opinion.

I also think it would have been more wise for him to wear the lifejacket. he could have kept them all afloat in theory whereas if hed put it on the little boy would he have known to help his brother? I doubt it.

So he could've put a life jacket on one child...or put one on himself in hope of saving both if such a thing happened since he was likely the most confident swimmer. It makes sense :shrug:

Where is a link to this story please? The only story I can see reported on sky news is this one which tells a very different sad story, which is the boys' Father's account: https://news.sky.com/story/1546212/drowned-boys-father-tells-how-boat-capsized

I thought his sister lived in Canada too? The mirror also reported they were all wearing lifejackets. My point - people really shouldn't believe everything they read in the news.

The poor boy's Father was also accused of only wanting to bring his family to Europe for new teeth. On the face of it that may sound terrible, until you hear the other side of the story - all of his teeth were pulled out during an ISIS siege! There are always 2 sides to every story in everyday life, but probably 10 more once the press get involved with all their propaganda.

God the photo of the poor boy was heartbreaking!!

However, in my honest opinion we need to be taking better care of these people in their OWN countries instead of them risking their lives crossing seas. The UK sends more aid to Syria than the whole of the rest of Europe put together and I read Cameron is sending a further 52million to Syria. I say the UK is doing their fair bit?

The refugees legally should claim asylum in the first European country they enter ie Hungary. They then get processed and its decided whether refugee status is legitimate or not. No one wants to go through processing in Hungary as the Hungarian government hold a hard line and if they are found not to be legitimate refugees (ie at risk) they get shipped back to the country they came from. The UK and Germany basically do not deport anyone. Yes we are a soft touch and they know that.

Why when I watch the TV do I see hundreds of young men? Young men with enough money to pay to 2k fee to board a dingy to Turkey. These are the rich Syrians and I hate to say it but the poor ones are still in the war zone, hence why we need to look after these people better in their own countries.

If the boarders were opened, what then - we all live happily ever after?

Money is not helping now as much as it may seem. They need shelter and safety. The money can buy some stuff but not those. We cant expect other countries to take them all. Just because we are an Island. We have to step in x

Money is not helping now as much as it may seem. They need shelter and safety. The money can buy some stuff but not those. We cant expect other countries to take them all. Just because we are an Island. We have to step in x

The money needs to be invested properly and more sent. The refugee camps would be ok if all European countries sent more. They are safe places, with school, hospitals, shelter.

The solution is not economic migration.

Well I dont see a problem nor feel threatened by stretching ourselves to help.

Well I dont see a problem nor feel threatened by stretching ourselves to help.

No, neither do I, but its not a long term solution. We need a long term solution right?

There is a never ending stream of refugees, if we say yes to 1 we say yes to them all for years to come.

Europe 20 years from now will be a VERY different place, unlike what we know today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->