Tamiflu?

MKaykes

Reaction score
The nursing home I work at has had an outbreak of influenza A. I had my flu shot and have no symptoms, but did work a couple shifts over the last week and work the next 3 days. They are offering Tamiflu prophylactically for all staff due to exposure. I'm 7w and know that the flu can be bad in pregnancy, but worried about taking drugs that may not be necessary. Not sure if I should go ahead and take it to hopefully prevent the flu or wait it out to see if symptoms appear? Once symptoms appear though I'd also be out of work for a while, but after this weekend I do have a week off already so wouldn't be a huge impact.

Anyone have any opinion on taking the antiviral as a prevention?

No don’t take anything if you don’t have to. I had the flu in 2/3 pregnancies and although it’s annoying and awful it isn’t fatal, just a nuisance really.

Get advise from your doctor, not from here. People will have differing
Opinions on medications and risks without medical knowledge, so personally I would just phoneyour doctor for advise and make your decision from that

I agree ask you doctor but even doctors will disagree

I would get a flu shot from your gyn (it is different for pregnant women) and skip the medicine but that’s just me. I agree the flu won’t literally kill you but it will suck

I did contact my doctor, they said it is safe to take, but still debating whether or not to take it if it isn't needed. Influenza can lead to death in severe cases, my home state sees several deaths each flu season. Mostly in the elderly or immunocompromised population, but healthy young people have been affected as well.

I've decided to wait it out. Wore a mask and washed hands well. If I show any symptoms I'll treat it.

Thanks for the replies!

Good call. Fxed you don’t catch it! Or any cold really cuz man it stinks being sick while preggo. Congrats on your pregnancy

I was given Tamiflu earlier this week as I had suspected flu. I decided to wait for the flu test results first and they came back negative so I didn't take it. BUT my OB said it was very safe. I am further along, though, but still....I think you are wise. Wait and see if you get sick. If you get sick, take it within first 24 hours. I know it's better than the flu.

I try to use common sense and my OB agrees...the flu is more dangerous to you and baby and than the tamiflu (which has shown to be safe).

FX you don't get sick!!

And hi there, I'm kinda from MN (Fargo/Moorhead). :wave:

I know this is too late for OP but anyone querying flu PLEASE take the tamiflu. Those who say flu is just an annoyance haven't had real flu, they've had a virus or a bad cold. Flu can kill and we've had several pregnant women in ITU with it as your immune system is lower when pregnant. Tamiflu is safe during pregnancy. Staff who have taken the correct precautions when working with someone with flu should be safe though xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->