taxman to target ebay sellers.....

babydevil1989

Reaction score
https://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/_news/1313623/Taxman-targets-eBay-auction-sellers.html
seriously?! :wacko:

I cant see the article?

I doubt they're going to go after everyone who is just selling something now and again. It'll be people who make a living out of it. If it's their main income and a job then they should pay tax just like everyone else who has a job or a business.

it says anyone who sells more then 100 items a year! which this years just by selling old clothes and dvd cds i would be taxed on! x

i think it should just be on new items/shops kind of thing, why would you charge someone tax on a secondhand items of clothing lol

exactly thats like going to a carboot and taking some of their profit lol x

It depends how much profit you make I suppose. It's still income and you are technically meant to declare it.

I thought ebay had a tracker on their site anyway that monitors how much people sell and how often. Can't remember who told me that, think it was oh's friend who has his own business on there.

I agree, it doesnt matter whether its second hand or not, if you sell enough of it to be above the earnings bracket then you pay tax. Ive made over £100 in the last 2 weeks on Ebay but I dont do it often, it was just a clear out but it shows it can be done and if you did that on a regular basis, you should play the game properly and pay tax. Lots of people have businesses on Ebay that are viable and I bet lots of them DONT declare their earnings which to me, is wrong.

yeah i agree with business' paying it but not people having clear outs and selling THEIR own stuff which THEY paid for! x

It's hardly profit when you are most likely selling it for less than what you paid in the first place!!!!

Some people I know are selling stuff all the time getting bits from charity shops and selling them on making profit. Oh's friend actually buys games from ebay sellers then re-sells them for more. Made a business out of it, but he is registered self-employed.

How do you know people are clearing out their own stuff and selling it on. I know someone who collects freecycle stuff and sells it on Ebay (it annoys the hell out of me)

My MIL has enough antiques and other stuff sitting in her house she has bought over the years to sell on ebay that could easily last her the rest of her life selling them! Doesn't seem right being taxed on them as she bought them, they are hers.. but then you can say that about anyone buying something and selling on which is what everyone does business or not. Where is the line drawn really.

I totally agree. I meant people who are making a business out of it deliberately. I buy from charity shops and sell on Ebay for a profit. If I sell my own things, I always make a profit. Ive never lost. However, I dont make enough, often enough to be self employed, its a now and again thing and if I thought If could run a business off it, Id be doing it right now. I think its fantastic people can do this but like I said, play the game, fairs fair. Ive been self employed before and no matter what business it is, you should pay tax. My friend advertises herself as a cleaner and works for £8 an hour and has never paid tax on any of it and it infuriates me.

We very rairly sell on ebay rather do a carboot, £6 to get in FILL the car right up and you get the money on the day no refunds/returns no lost items in the post etc lol

ooh I love a good car boot LesleyAnn, bargains and no postage to pay, plus it gets people out of the house lol.

So i do i we have a local one which is only once a month in walking distance so we do that one but we are not selling this month just buying haha since we will no the gender of bubs i can buy some lovely clothes etc really cheap.. Its much better than ebay in a way since you know exactly what the item really looks like and you can barter about the price if you have the balls lol I always just pay the asking or walk away oh will argue the price till the cows come home haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->