temporarily stopping bf whilst on meds - advice on expressing please

flowers04

mummy to 2 princesses
Reaction score
i have to take antibiotics for a week therefore cannot bf so i am trying to give formula

what i wanted to know was how often would i need to express in order to stop my milk drying up? also what do i do at night - i don't particularly want to get the pump out then

anyone had a similar experience?

thanks

Hi Flowers
Do you really need to stop breastfeeding? Most drug companies don't license drugs for breastfeeding mums because the market is so small it's not cost-effective, but that doesn't mean that they aren't safe to take. There's a really good table to check the particular drug you've been prescribed here: https://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html
If you find that the drug is contra-indicated, then maybe you could have a different antibiotic? Usually there are choices over the type of drug, and also over the route of administration (which also impacts on how safe it is for baby). You might find that a short acting version of the same drug would be safe to take, for instance. How old is your baby? A very small baby takes only minute quantities of milk, so hence, very small amounts of the drug enter the baby; a toddler normally has a variety of other foods so the amount of milk is also small in comparison to body weight.... it's rarely a clear-cut decision as to whether or not you need to stop BFing.

If you do decide to temporarily suspend BFing, then the general rule is that you need to express as often as baby would have fed. The exception to this is with a very young baby where you are needing to build your milk supply. A hospital-grade double electric breast pump can be really useful; you may be able to hire one from your local NCT or similar.

Why don't you call the National Breastfeeding Helpline to discuss? 0300 100 0212.

Mel

i was taking antibiotics that were safe for bf but then my infection got worse so now i am on two different types of antibiotics - none of them are on the list

i'll definitely give the helpline a call tomorrow - i'll be up early tomorrow to express then

thank you for your response

There's some comprehensive resources here: https://www.llli.org/NB/NBmaternalillness.html
and I hope one of them answers some of the questions you have!

Mel

OOHH.. that really sucks. :( I'm sorry. :hugs2:

I would express as often as LO was eating. As a pain in the butt that will be! :( At the very least I would aim for pumping 3-5 oucnes every 3-4 hours (I assume LO was eating about that often as they are 3 months old, right?).

Also, get a good bottle for BFed babies with a slow flow nipple. And expect LO to eat a bit less often as formula takes longer to digest. That doesn't mean you should pump less often, though.

As much as this will be difficult, you will only have to do it for a week, right??

Big :hugs2:

You need to pump as often as you fed before. Every 2-3 hours. It also depends on when you gave birth. It takes about 4-6 weeks to establish your supply. Websites and books recommend not to go longer than 6 hours at night, but that's when your supply is very established... (when your baby is about 8 weeks?)

Don't not pump just because you don't feel like it... your body will produce less and less.

i spoke to the helpline today and they advised that i could still breastfeed - this made my day - i felt awful not being able to bf plus last night i heardly slept as i was up and down stairs like a yoyo making bottles, turning the steriliser on - can't be doing that every night

thanks very much Mel for your advice i wouldn't even have thought about ringing them

i'll be telling the gp at my next visit

i did express but my boobs are still aching - ouch

thanks for all your replies

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"