tesco christmas card taken off the shelves!

IDK. i mean go into most card shops and you can find cards that are "nasty" to alot of people i mean the ones where because your old your grumpy, because you blonde it has something ditzy ect

some people will find it offence and other wont thats like most things in life. I laf at things other people would frown at or be upset about, and likewise i may get upset or frown about something someone else would laf about.

If we keep doing this with everything everyone will be the same and act the same its about freedom to express yourself, most people who would of brought that card would of brought it for a ginger person they know and that they know will see the funny side.

I guess i do see the funny side but can also see how it would upset people, its obviously only meant for those who are not bothered about being ginger. Thing is the card is also giving a message out that ginger haired children are no diff, as a lot of people dig about ppl being ginger so really that card says ginger is no diff to anyone else. For an adult fair enough but defo not suitable for a child. I dunno if id go so far as to complain but thats just me, she had every right too though & good on her for speaking out about something obviously offensive to her . What does for one doesnt for another.

I'm not being funny but how many people are actually bullied for being blonde? It's a lot more common for someone to be bullied for having ginger hair - for people to say they are ugly and that they smell purely because of the colour of their hair is horrible. I was quite lucky because I was teased, not bullied, but other people in the same classes as me at school were treated appallingly just because they had red hair. Anything that justifies this and makes it seem acceptable and "funny" is wrong in my opinion.

Blonde jokes can be just as offensive to blondes so I think it all boils down to perspective-if you are not the ginger person, then it might be easier to laugh it off than if you or your child were ginger and had bad experiences.

Same for blonde...the taunts and angle of offense might be different but it doesn't lessen the feelings of -some- blondes out there.

On another note, I do see why some would find it offensive, just as I see why some would find ''old and grumpy'' cards offensive. There's a card out there for everything, lol..I wouldn't complain about the ''old and grumpy'' or ''ginger'' cards as I do think that's OTT and as said by some, is sterilizing the humor out of people. But at the same time, I wouldn't put some cards up for sale in a grocery store, either. I think there's a time and place for this kind of humor, and a G-rated grocery store probably isn't the place. I'm not sure where I would draw the line about which places are good for which types of cards - all I'm saying is that I would disagree with them not existing at all. I personally have a huge sense of humor and find all kinds of things funny, including things that laugh at myself or some stereotype about myself (including my race, by the way)...but I wouldn't visit that humor on certain other people because I know they'd be offended and isn't appropriate for them.

Blonde jokes can be just as offensive to blondes so I think it all boils down to perspective-if you are not the ginger person, then it might be easier to laugh it off than if you or your child were ginger and had bad experiences.

Same for blonde...the taunts and angle of offense might be different but it doesn't lessen the feelings of -some- blondes out there.

On another note, I do see why some would find it offensive, just as I see why some would find ''old and grumpy'' cards offensive. There's a card out there for everything, lol..I wouldn't complain about the ''old and grumpy'' or ''ginger'' cards as I do think that's OTT and as said by some, is sterilizing the humor out of people. But at the same time, I wouldn't put some cards up for sale in a grocery store, either. I think there's a time and place for this kind of humor, and a G-rated grocery store probably isn't the place. I'm not sure where I would draw the line about which places are good for which types of cards - all I'm saying is that I would disagree with them not existing at all. I personally have a huge sense of humor and find all kinds of things funny, including things that laugh at myself or some stereotype about myself (including my race, by the way)...but I wouldn't visit that humor on certain other people because I know they'd be offended and isn't appropriate for them.

you put that much better than i did in my post lol but i was eating at the same time.

But yeah its the point that most people get picked on, Fat, to skinny, wear glasses, blonde, ginger, to tall, to short, to old. if they banned every type of card that may be upset 1 person all our cards would be blank bits of white card no writing in incase they upset and no pictures.

I think the best place for "funny" or "inapropriate" cards is in a proper card shop, clintons, card factory ect

I agree with krissie1234, I was bullied so badly as a child simply because I was ginger, it was horrible. I know there are blonde jokes but whilst I was at school I never heard anyone bullied or threaten just because they were blonde. Eventually I learnt to love my hair (after I left school).

I now have a ginger daughter and have really tried to install into her that her hair colour is beautiful, so hopefully she will believe it and therefore what others say/think dont affect her. Right now this card wouldnt affect her (she is four) but if she was old enough to read and it upset her then yes I would complain. She is perfect as is her hair colour.

i think you need to have red hair, to understand how upsetting things like this can be, its nothing to do with being over sensitive, if it was only now and then reds got jibed like everyone else, then fair enough, but its becoming such a big thing,almost like you are a freak if you have ginger hair,

if i was them kids mum, i would have complained aswell

I think the point is that its not something children should be exposed to, adults fair enough as they can take it or leave it depending on their sense of humour, but children cant yet understand a "joke" about physical appearance iykwim.

If it were in an adult shop then i dont see the problem, as with blonde/old/fat cards but not around children, its cruel.

I think the point is that its not something children should be exposed to, adults fair enough as they can take it or leave it depending on their sense of humour, but children cant yet understand a "joke" about physical appearance iykwim.

If it were in an adult shop then i dont see the problem, as with blonde/old/fat cards but not around children, its cruel.

Yer thats what i was trying to say.

I think the fact that its about a child ... with a piccie of a gorgeous little boy on it too ... and that its a Christmas thing... all add together to make it more offencive than the normal 'ginger jokes' would be :dohh:

I agree with krissie1234, I was bullied so badly as a child simply because I was ginger, it was horrible. I know there are blonde jokes but whilst I was at school I never heard anyone bullied or threaten just because they were blonde. Eventually I learnt to love my hair (after I left school).

I now have a ginger daughter and have really tried to install into her that her hair colour is beautiful, so hopefully she will believe it and therefore what others say/think dont affect her. Right now this card wouldnt affect her (she is four) but if she was old enough to read and it upset her then yes I would complain. She is perfect as is her hair colour.

Same here, I could have written that myself! I was bullied for having red hair at school, I even dyed it blonde (big mistake) as I was so fed up of it. I love my hair now though and even get compliments sometimes! My youngest daughter (10m) has ginger hair and I will do whatever it takes to make sure she never suffers the way I did at school.

I dont think that Tesco is the most approprate place to display and sell cards like that.

I'm not sure tbh. I find it funny myself BUT edward has a red tinge to his hair and if he was getting bullied for it or this was repeated to him when he was older I would be upset. I too have quite a dark sense of humour (also a 'ginger' sister) and found the episode of south park amusing and to this day call my sister a day walker :rofl: but I wouldn't do it to some random in the street

I'm not sure tbh. I find it funny myself BUT edward has a red tinge to his hair and if he was getting bullied for it or this was repeated to him when he was older I would be upset. I too have quite a dark sense of humour (also a 'ginger' sister) and found the episode of south park amusing and to this day call my sister a day walker :rofl: but I wouldn't do it to some random in the street

I think that is the point (and also the one PP made), it is more about who the card is suitable for, children go shopping to Tesco's with there parents and therefore it was inappropriate for them to have this card for these children to see. Where as you are know who it is appropriate to share your humour with.

ChloesMummy I feel exactly the same, will do anything to stop Naomi going through what I did. The first thing my husband noticed about me was my waist length ginger hair :thumbup:

Being blessed with a gorgeous, gingerlicious husband, I think it's bloody jealousy! I know for a fact he would laugh at this card, and his mates take the mick as he does with them about other things.

However, when boiled down to fundamentals, you are making a joke based on someone's birth given appearance, which personally I don't think is acceptable. Adults can take things with a pinch of salt, but children take things personally and no child should ever be encoraged to think something is wrong or different with how they look. They are all beautiful, regardless of skin or hair colour or whatever! Anything which ever makes them question that is frankly unacceptable in my opinion. It has nothing to do with 'getting a sense of humour' - it's to do with not legitimising any form of prejudice to children.

Being blessed with a gorgeous, gingerlicious husband, I think it's bloody jealousy! I know for a fact he would laugh at this card, and his mates take the mick as he does with them about other things.

However, when boiled down to fundamentals, you are making a joke based on someone's birth given appearance, which personally I don't think is acceptable. Adults can take things with a pinch of salt, but children take things personally and no child should ever be encoraged to think something is wrong or different with how they look. They are all beautiful, regardless of skin or hair colour or whatever! Anything which ever makes them question that is frankly unacceptable in my opinion. It has nothing to do with 'getting a sense of humour' - it's to do with not legitimising any form of prejudice to children.

Well said x

As a red head myself I take it with a pinch of salt and actually thought my sister in law would find it funny as a fellow ginger nut!
Delighted though because as hubby was a red head (got dark as he grew up- NOT ginger in denial haha) and I am then we are pretty much guaranteed a little red headed bundle of joy and I can't wait :D

i supose it depends on the individual, some people would find it funny some wouldent.... i personally would buy it for a ginger person if i knew the ginger person would find it funny but i can see why people would get offended...

another example of political correctness gone mad. my oh is ginger and thought it was funny. go into any card shop and there are LOADS of cards poking fun at bald men, whats the difference? ppl need to stop taking themselves so freaking seriously!

another example of political correctness gone mad. my oh is ginger and thought it was funny. go into any card shop and there are LOADS of cards poking fun at bald men, whats the difference? ppl need to stop taking themselves so freaking seriously!

Maybe cos there isnt many bald children? Your OH may see it as funny but his not a child walking around tesco's.

ETA hope that doesnt come across as snappy, just dont know how to phrase it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->