tesco christmas card taken off the shelves!

nikkip75

Reaction score
has anyone just seen this on the news?

tesco have had to withdraw a christmas card they were selling after a mother complained about it, it had a picture of a little red haired boy sitting on santas knee and the caption read "santa love all kids, even ginger ones"!!!!

the lady who complained has 3 kids with red hair and thought maybe she was over reacting at first but as people said to her if it had been about a child who was obese, wearing glass or wore braces or a black child it would be different, do you think shes right??

they also asked red haired teenagers outside the shop and they could see the funny side but i think its different for teenagers isnt it? my teenage has red hair and i think she might pretend to see the funny side but also think she would feel a teeny bit offended aswell.

it is being sold in other places tho. would you buy it???

im sorry but people need to lighten up. Its a joke.

everyone complains about everything now, its getting silly.

Any red haired people I know aren't offended by jokes about ginger people.

clearly a sence of humour failure - its all good fun

it is funny but can also see the rude side of it x

Shocking IMO!! not a sense of humour failure :nope: that just asks people to get bullied, like you said they would not put something about a fat kid or one who wore glasses!Iwould complain if I had red haired children too!

TBH i dunno what I think about it, it was obviously meant in a light-hearted way, I would so buy it for my ginger haired step bro and I know he would laugh. But I can see that it would upset some people. Spose you just have to get your judgement of that person right.

Id get it for a ginger friend but wouldent give it to some one who had a ginger child.

It's just another example of the only 'publicly acceptable' form of racism left. Any ginger joke you can think of, substitute black, Jewish or whatever and see if it's so funny then. Not a sense of humour failure at all - it encourages bullying and narrow mindedness based on appearance.

Call me boring but personally I would find it offensive - not exactly in the Christmas spirit of things is it?

Ok racism ? is having ginger hair a race ???

I have red hair - ginger if you will, and i simply voiced my opinion !!!!

apologies for the statement regardin sence of humour failure - did not realise it would upset.

I see it's supposed to be light hearted but IMO the lady was right to complain. x

I agree poppy fields! why is it such a funny thing anyway its a hair colour!? :wacko: encourages people to be judgemental with appearance like you said, this day and age you would think people would accept people differances and all.

It's just another example of the only 'publicly acceptable' form of racism left. Any ginger joke you can think of, substitute black, Jewish or whatever and see if it's so funny then. Not a sense of humour failure at all - it encourages bullying and narrow mindedness based on appearance.

I can see your point here, it does encourage bullying in a sense if its in the wrong hands. I am Jewish, I sometimes find jokes about being a Jew offensive but not often :shrug: I'm not bothered about that, but I am bothered about jokes about gays and jokes about disabled people... Everyone will see things differently I suppose

To be honest you can't say anything anymore without people taking it to heart. I can't see why this would be any different

I think it's disgusting! And I agree if is was making a " racial joke " then it wouldn't be soo funny!!

that's awful i think :growlmad:

but to be honest if i had a close redheaded friend
i'd have brought it for them as a joke

but i wouldn't give it to a redheaded child or a mother
with one ....

nor would i want to find it in a supermarket ... joke
shop perhaps but supermarkets just wrong

i think she was right to complain depends on whether
they were an adult humour kind of card or in a pack
meant for kids?

xx​

I've got ginger hair and saw this card - it didn't offend me but I didn't find it funny. A lot of kids get bullied for being ginger and I don't think this sort of thing helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->