THE BIG WEIGHTLOSS THREAD! **Loser of the month with a massive 17lbs gone - Shanka**

No one should be embarrassed about how much they weigh, because in 6 months you will be a totally different person! :happydance:

When I was losing weight before, what I found to be a good motivator was breaking it up. So say you had 50lbs to lose, at different stages you would give yourself a (non food!) reward! ie...

10lbs - subscription to a magazine you love

20lbs- Get your nails done/facial

40lbs- go out for a night with your mates/OH ie cinema, theatre, comedy show, etc

50lbs- new outfit to celebrate your goal!

I'll be thinking of some things tonight for myself :) Remember, they have to be things that you really want, but wouldn't normally get for yourself!

:hugs: Sharon, dont feel bad hun, we're all in here to support eachother for the same reason, be it having 5lbs or 50lbs to lose

I'll update the new ladies on the list once ive finished tucking into my low fat caeser salad :cloud9:

Been a good girl today so far, my only trouble is the scales ... they talk to me "come on holly, get on, lets see how much you weigh" ALL of the time, i must resist weighing myself everyday, i know its a pointless exercise so dont know why i do it :lol:

Nic im loving your idea about the "treats" ... i might think some up for myself later!! Ladies Nic is the queen of motivation, listen to her :lol:

Did a really healthy Tesco shop today :happydance:

It will be veggie burgers and sweet potato wedges for dinner tonight.

Tomorrow night with be a yummy salad. I'll post the recipe up in the other thread :thumbup:

I got some nice granola cereal at Tescos. It's by Nick Nairn, and is oat granola clusters with golden syrup. really, really tasty and about 150 cals per bowl. Lots of protein too, which means you stay fuller for longer. Ideal for breakfast!

Here's some healthy eating info I've posted up on BnB before. Just in case it's helpful for anyone!

Click the spoiler to open.

Nutrition Key Points:

Obviously nutrition is very important to any fitness. What you put into your body is what your body will then use a fuel. Put the wrong things into your body, and your body won't work to it's true effectiveness.

The club in no way shape or form is about dieting. In fact restricting your food intake while undertaking strenous exercise is detrimental. The key is healthy, balanced eating and exercise.

The key things to remember are:

* Always eat three balanced meals a day; breakfast lunch and dinner. Don't skip meals!

* Snacks can form part of a healthy lifestyle, but stay away from junk food. Fruits and vegetables are recommended (we'll get into suggested snacks further on)

* Cut out excess caffine and excess sugars from your diet. Do you really need to drink coke? Or have a chocolate biscuit? No, not really....Just one can a day of coke can increase your weight by 16lbs in a year. That's over a stone....

* Eat less salt. Adults should have no more than 6g salt a day. Don't add extra salt to food, and stay away from canned produce as much as possible.
High salt content is more than 1.5g salt per 100g (or 0.6g sodium). Low salt content is 0.3g salt or less per 100g (or 0.1g sodium).

* Drink plenty of water. Aim to drink 6 to 8 glasses of water, or other fluids, every day to stop us getting dehydrated. This is a basic amount, when exercising you will need more. Sometimes when you feel hungry, your body will actually be thirsty. Drink plenty of water to stop that happening. Fizzy, caffeine drinks also dehydrate you.

* Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes—foods high in complex carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, low in fat, and free of cholesterol.

* Keep portions moderate. If you are eating three balanced meals a day, with healthy snacks then you shouldn't need to load up at dinner. If you're giving yourself the same portion sizes as you're husband then it's time to stop!

* Don't calories count. If you are eating healthy and exercising then there is no reason to calorie count. Be aware if what you are eating, but don't obsess over numbers. In fact, the fitter you are and the more exercises you do, the more calories you're body will need!

* Take it slow. Changes don't happen overnight, and if they did then you'd be less likely to stick with it. If you snack constantly on junk food between meals, limit it at first rather than cut it out completely. If you have 3 cans of coke a day, cut it down to one every other day. Don't be afraid to give yourself 'cheat meals' once a week either. If you are watching every other aspect of your diet and fitness, one cheat meal a week is fine and will help keep you motivated. In my house, Saturday night is takeaway night!

The pyramids:

These are fairly self explanatory, but offer a visual aid as to what your overall healthy eating goals should be.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/images/HealthyEatingPyramidresize.gif

https://www.mayoclinic.com/images/image_popup/fn7_vegetarian.jpg

Good and Bad Fats:

Fat is good for you, it's just a case of eating the right types.

Fats and oils are made up of basic units called fatty acids. Each type of fat or oil is a mixture of different fatty acids.

Monounsaturated Fatty Acids (MUFA) are found mainly in vegetable oils, nuts, seeds and some plant foods. They are liquid at room temperature.
Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFA) are found mainly in vegetable oils, fish and seafood. They are liquid or soft at room temperature. Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are types of PUFA and are considered essential fatty acids because our bodies cannot make them, thus they must be obtained through the diet.

Saturated Fatty Acids are usually solid at room temperature and are found mainly in foods from animal sources like meat, dairy products and butter. Some vegetable oils such as coconut, palm kernel and palm oil are saturated.

Trans Fatty Acids are liquid vegetable oils that have been chemically processed to become solid at room temperature through the addition of hydrogen atoms. These hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils are used in some margarines and fried foods as well as to improve the flavor, texture and shelf-life of processed snack foods like cookies and crackers.
Which fats are recommended?

Emphasise consumption of monounsaturated and omega-3 fatty acids.
Limit consumption of saturated and trans fats (listed as hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated vegetable oils on labels)

You will never be able to limit fat from your diet, the key is to eat the right type

carbohydrates:

Carbohydrates are the primary fuel source for your body during exercise. We'll get more into eating for high intensity exercise later, but for low intensity exercise where you are just starting to get fit then it is important to realise you don't load up on carbs, or make an effort to eat more. However it is important to eat a regular amount, and you should base your diet around healthy carbs.

When your body does not receive enough carbohydrates, it essentially kicks into a “survival mode”. If all it has to choose from for fuel is protein or fat, what do you think its instinct will be? It will hold onto the fat because it can last twice as long (due to the larger amount of energy or calories received from fat) and start to burn muscle for fuel.

* Adults should get 45 percent to 65 percent of their calories from carbohydrates.

Examples of good carbs: potatoes, whole grain bread, brown rice, beans buts, seeds and whole grain pasta.

Bad carbs: refined and processed foods, some packaged foods. This includes refined grains such as breads, pastas, and breakfast cereals that are not whole grain.

Fiber:

Dietary fiber is found in plant foods (fruit, vegetables and whole grains) and is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system. Fiber helps support a healthy diet by:

Helping you feel fuller faster and longer, which can help prevent overeating.
Keeping blood sugar levels even, by slowing digestion and absorption so that glucose (sugar) enters the bloodstream slowly and steadily.

Maintaining a healthy colon - the simple organic acids produced when fiber is broken down in the digestive process helps to nourish the lining of the colon.

The two types of fiber are soluble and insoluble:

Soluble fiber can dissolve in water and can also help to lower blood fats and maintain blood sugar. Primary sources are beans, fruit and oat products.

Insoluble fiber cannot dissolve in water, so it passes directly through the digestive system. It’s found in whole grain products and vegetables.

A healthy diet should contain approximately 20 to 30 grams of fiber a day, but most of us only get about half of that amount.

Fruit & Veg:

Fruits and vegetables should be part of every meal, and be your first choice for a snack. Eat a minimum of five portions each day.

Greens: Dark leafy green vegetables are a vital part of a healthy diet since they are packed with nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, zinc, and Vitamins A, C, E and K. Greens help to strengthen the blood and respiratory systems.

Sweet Vegetables: Naturally sweet vegetables are an excellent way to add healthy sweetness to your meals and reduce your cravings for other sweets. Some examples of sweet vegetables are corn, carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, winter squash, and onions.

Fruit: Eating a wide variety of fruit is another very healthy part of any diet. They provide us with beneficial properties such as natural sugars, fiber, Vitamins and antioxidants. Choose fresh or frozen, and focus on variety.

Avoid: Fruit juices can contain up to 10 teaspoons of sugar per cup; avoid or dilute with water. Canned fruit often contains sugary syrup, and dried fruit, while an excellent source of fiber, can be high in calories.

Crazy Facts!

One can of coke a day can increase your weight by 16lbs in one year alone.

Haribo have 30 calories per sweet

When you eat a diet high in salt and sugars, your body becomes quickly addicted. Sat and sugar also dulls your taste buds, so you find it hard to taste natural flavours, like in fruit and veg. If you cut sugar and salt as much as possible, it takes only 4 days for your taste buds to start to return to normal. However it takes about 3 weeks to stop your body being addicted.

Fats and chemicals from 'junk food' cause you to crave more, and also feel hungrier. The more you eat, the more you want!

A large order of Burger King's fries packs 590 calories and 30 grams of fat.

Partially hydrogenated (Trans) fats, the kind ya find in donuts, cakes, chips and cereals are so gooey...they stay in your body for at least 51 days after you eat them....and traces of it can be found in your body a year from the time you ate them.

Coffee stains your liver and spleen the same color as the bottom of the coffee cup.

To drop a trouser size, you need to lose around 10lbs. To drop a dress size, about 15lbs

I'm having an organic veg box delivered on Tuesday :happydance: I've also started buying veggie alternatives to stuff I love, we had cauliflower cheese grills and spicey mixed bean burgers with wedges and veg for dinner the other night and it was lovely!!

We have chilli con carne and jacket potatoes for dinner...is that healthy? it's completely home made chilli, not even bought a sauce jar :smug:

Ive not eaten much today as been so busy not had time.
I had two pieces of toast for brekkie, and ham sarnie with humous. Think ill have a bowl of cereal in a bit.
I was good though when i did my food shop, i steered clear of all the junk food!!

Im having an indian for dinner - but healthier options! Tomato based sauce instead of cream. All within my SW syns so I think im doing quite well.

I know now what I need to loose to go wedding dress shopping - 2.5st by mid april. Not sure what size that will take me too but it will be smaller than what I am now.

Today Ive eaten

apple and low fat yogurt for breaky
half cup of tomato soup :sick:

3 cups of tea 1 sugar in each but i am ill

and lots of water
1 can of pop in middle of night and it had far too much sugar in it :(

Weight loss tip for today: Use generous amounts of super glue as lip gloss. :rofl:

Today I've eaten: (It's 2:24 here)

1 cup of Product 19 cereal with 1/2 cup of 2% milk
3 slices of turkey (real turkey not deli meat)

Thats "fact" about haribo shocked me .. well kinda :lol:

I have brown sugar in my hot drinks now as i drink a lot, 4 or 5 cups a day and it SO much better than white, now if someone puts white in my drink i can only have 1/4 or 1/2 a teaspoon because its so sweet

Everyone seems to be doing pretty good today though :thumbup:

Im craving chocolate now :cry:
This is the hard time for me as my kids are going to bed, so i get bored!!!!

Im craving chocolate now :cry:
This is the hard time for me as my kids are going to bed, so i get bored!!!!

Have you got milk in the house? If so, have a big glass. Milk has a lot of protein in it, which stops cravings and fills you up :thumbup:

I have brown sugar in my hot drinks now as i drink a lot, 4 or 5 cups a day and it SO much better than white, now if someone puts white in my drink i can only have 1/4 or 1/2 a teaspoon because its so sweet

I'm the same with white bread.

OH always bought brown bread with lots of seeds in it, and I hated it :sick: After eating it for awhile, I can't eat white bread. It's far too sweet! :lol:

Today I wasn't very good as I skipped brekkie (again!). I bought some nice cereal in Tescos though, so will be better tomorrow.

brekkie: none
Lunch: baked potato with beans and salad
Dinner: veggie burgers (no buns) and sweet potato wedges

snacks: some pineapple and a banana
drinks: 6 glasses water, 1 small glass white wine.....(no fizzy drinks! :))

Oh, and it's this one that made me :sick:

A large order of Burger King's fries packs 590 calories and 30 grams of fat.

You girls seem to be doing really well!

Mine starts monday...:thumbup:

Holly, Ive jazzed up the first post for you and added a link to a photobucket gallery with lots of weight loss blinkies in.

Im enjoying my last bit of vodka before I give it up for a while:cry:

:rofl: at this one!

https://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz112/SiggyStoreUK/smileys/icecreamexercise.gif

Hi everyone my name is Rhonda I weigh 152 pounds and need to lose 21 pounds i'm starting on Monday but will weigh in every Friday and post here i'm really worried about starting my diet and need a bit of encouragement.

back from introduction to gym!! OH took me round equipment. Felt very self conscious even though there was only1 more person in there! Determined to keep with it. Feeling fat today!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->