The BnB Cook A Long Thread :) *WEEK 2 RECIPE ADDED* PAGE 1

P

pinkmummy

Was thinking of starting a thread for us all to do a weekly cook along!! :)

Will post a recipe or a list of ingredients every Saturday and you can cook what you want. If you'd like to join in just say :thumbup: After we have all cooked the choosen dish we can post piccies and recipes :) Hoping to accumulate some members before starting as its no fun with just one :haha: x

Caitlinsmummy
Kelz22
Kimboowee
~KACI~
Zarababy1
LaDy
Squidge
kirst06
Tezzy
Plumfairy
EmzyMathRuby
happyface82
nightkd

Week 2

Homemade Pies! :D

You can use premade shortcrust or puff pastry if you wish but I will provide the recipe for homemade shortcrust (which is nicer ;) ) The reason I have put it pies is to give everyone the choice of what they wouldl ike in their pies :) You can have anything you like, chicken, mushroom, ham, steak, gravy, mince, onion etc

Recipe for the homemade pastry:

8 oz (220 g) plain flour
pinch of salt
2 oz (50 g) softened lard
2 oz (50 g) softened butter

METHOD

1. Begin by sifting the flour and pinch of salt into a large bowl, holding the sieve as high as possible, so that they get a really good airing before you begin.
2. Now add the lard and butter, cut into smallish lumps, then take a knife and begin to cut the fat into the flour
3. Go on doing this until it looks fairly evenly blended, then begin to rub the fat into the flour using your fingertips only and being as light as possible
4. As you gently rub the fat into the flour, lift it up high and let it fall back into the bowl, which again means that all the time air is being incorporated, but do this just long enough to make the mixture crumbly with a few odd lumps here and there.
5. Now sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water in, then, with a knife, start bringing the dough together, using the knife to make it cling.
7. When enough liquid is added, the pastry should leave the bowl fairly clean.
8. If this hasn't happened, then add a spot more water. Now place the pastry in a polythene bag and leave it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to rest.

Homemade chicken and mushroom filling

1. Melt 50g of butter in a pan
2. Add 50g of flour and mix until a paste
3. Mix 300ml of milk and 200ml of chicken stock in a jug then add to the pan.
4. Let the mixture boil away for about 10 minutes until thickened.
5. Chop 2 chicken breasts into bite sizes pieces and fry in a a pan for 8 minutes.
6. Add some thinly slice mushrooms and an onion and fry for a further 3 minutes.
7. Let the chicken and mushroom mix cool along with the milk mixture for about 10-15 minutes.
8. Roll out the pastry into a pie dish and add the chicken mixture followed by the milk mixture.
9. Roll a lid for the pie and place on top.
10. Put 3 small cuts in the top of the pastry to allow the air to escape.
11. Place in the oven at 200C for abour 20-30 minutes.

You can substitute the chicken for anything really I just gave this as a base recipe :thumbup:

I coul do 2 recipes hun and have one healthy option as I used to do slimming world :) :thumbup: xx

yep me a need to learn to cook more and get bored of eating same stuff!

Brilliant idea! Wonder if my fussy boys would eat most of it tho hmmm

I think il do mine on a Wednesday too! Day off! Im trying to think of different toppings though! Have to admit iv never made my own pizza base before :blush: xx

I'll be doing mine probs weds/thurs next week! I've got all my teas for this week already =]

umm can i cheat and get OH to make mine? :rofl: he makes the best home made pizza!!

Im doing my tomorrow, If this baby doesnt change my plans that is!

Oooooo so your making it yourself then Zara :happydance:

I may have to make mine on Thursday coz I'm really busy on Wednesday but can't go shopping till Wednesday as thats when we have money for shopping xx

I am doing it my self :rofl: see what kind of disaster it is! I told OH today "I'm making home made pizza for tea tomorrow" he said "But im at work??" :lol: Oh he of little faith!!! im gunna make it even better than his! Dunno what too put on it yet like hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->