The hardest part about pregnancy...is always being sober!

sandandsun

Reaction score
Okay, the subject line is kind of a joke...but seriously, is not drinking difficult for anyone else? Or am I just a lush?

Before I sound like an alcoholic, I'm actually a very healthy person. I exercise 4x/week and eat very well. However, hubby and I used to LOVE going out on the weekends and having drinks with friends or by ourselves. Hubby is 30 and I'm in my late 20's. We enjoy drinking and always have a blast together. We believe in "work hard, play hard" - especially my husband, who has a demanding, stressful job. Granted, I never drank a crazy amount, but it was normal for me to have a few drinks most weekends.

I find myself wishing I could have a drink, and I hate sitting around while other people drink. Of course, I would NEVER have a drink while pregnant, but just venting. Any other "let loose" types missing their wine/beer/mixed drinks?

The first few weeks I really wanted a drink (or five)- esp. with the crazy stress from work and building a home and being positive this pregnancy wouldn't end well like the three before it...
Then I just really wanted specific drinks- especially if I smelled them. Or when I was the only sober person at a wedding reception with an open bar...

Now- anything with an alcohol smell makes me nauseous- which I'm thankful for!

No... it's just a drink to me. You can let loose without drinking. You can still go out of a weekend and have a blast with friends. You can still dance and party and shout. Just the drink itself is different. I buy Mocktails at a pricey cocktail bar that taste no different to the cocktails to me and have just a good time with my girlfriends than usual.

But I'm not a big drinker so I probably don't understand where you're coming from. I would previously only have 1 a month.

I definitely miss it. I used to have a few drinks on Friday nights and weekends with hubby but more often with girlfriends and it was something I really enjoyed doing. I love wine and I don't mind the odd cocktail or even scotch. And sometimes I'd enjoy a glass of wine with dinner too.

I stopped drinking entirely as soon as I started ttc - and yeah I do miss it. Right at the beginning it wasn't hard. It was Really hard during ttc - but in the first few weeks of pregnancy it was easy because I knew there was a reason for why I wasn't drinking (I wasn't abstaining in the "hope" I'd get pregnant - I actually was pregnant).

But now (at 8+5) I'm back to really missing it. Yes I still go out and still try to have a good time and to a degree I still do have a good time but it's not quite as much fun as it used to be. I've been indulging in really yummy foods to make up for it :)

I understand! We used to have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. It is a nice way for me to relax. We don't drink heavily but yes I'm missing it too, I understand!

I do miss it! I just have an o'douls and tomato juice! That way I can have it if I'm craving a beer

I absolutely loved drink, we are the same as you guys as we would go out at weekends for drinks or takeaway and a couple of bottles of wine, had a glass or two after work in the evenings too and I thought not drinking would be really hard. Sickness snuck up on me around week six and the thought of a drink turns my stomach and it's the absolute last thing I want! Im glad really otherwise would have been alot harder

No... it's just a drink to me. You can let loose without drinking. You can still go out of a weekend and have a blast with friends. You can still dance and party and shout. Just the drink itself is different. I buy Mocktails at a pricey cocktail bar that taste no different to the cocktails to me and have just a good time with my girlfriends than usual.

But I'm not a big drinker so I probably don't understand where you're coming from. I would previously only have 1 a month.

WSS

I'm not a big drinker so doesn't bother me.

Didn't really drink before so its not something I've even thought about! Lol!

I'm glad I'm not alone and some of you can relate! lol I would never do anything to hurt our baby, but I definitely can't wait to have a drink when I'm allowed. A glass of wine is calling my name...

FYI, I don't need alcohol to have fun. :) I actually didn't even have my first drink until the age of 24 (I was one of those "perfect over-achieving" college students) and I still had a blast then. But my husband and I do enjoy drinking together. I like the taste of wine/beer and sometimes mixed drinks, and it helps us both relax after a stressful work week! It was a little treat to myself each week that I miss! We all have vices. Pre-pregnancy, I never ate fast food, rarely ate dessert, rarely skipped a workout, etc...but I do like a little alcohol. :)

I feel ya girl! I LOOOOVE WINE - Also it's funny, I didn't have my first drink either until after I got married, which was somewhere around 24 & 25! I was never interested in high school & I went to a college where you could get kicked out if you were caught drinking so I didn't want to risk it! Sometime after we got married we went to Italy & I became a wine fanatic! Not a heavy drinker by anymeans but hubby & I would share about 1 bottle a week. I'll miss that this next 9 months but as you said, I wouldn't dare do anything to harm my baby!

I really missed my cold glass of wine with dinner at first but I feel so rough in the eve it's the last thing on my mind now, however the urge will prob return when I feel better lol

I wanted to drink until the HG hit. Now I can't even think about it without gagging.

We drink a fair bit sometimes, usually a glass or two of amaretto, baileys or port whatever every night till the bottle is gone lol.
I haven't even thought about it but I missed it with ds so I got the non alcoholic ciders xx

I miss it but oddly never really drank before this baby making race began.
I could easily just add a tipple into my hot choc but sadly not. So your most defo not alone!

Me and hubby both don't drink so I luckily don't feel I miss out. We like to have fun with friends, but never drink. We actually chatted and laughed into the wee hours of the morning just on coffee with some good friends of ours.

I don't drink at all and very rarely rank before hand but I've been craving a nice cold pint recently. Smelt my partners the other day and it smelt heavenly. I've never drank a pint of beer in my life before! What on earth? Hahaha �😖�😅

I'm not a heavy drinker maybe 2x a month max but almost all my friends and hubs are beer geeks so we used to always go out to a brewery once or twice a month so I definitely feel like I'm missing out! And actually some of our close friends own breweries so I haven't been able to even see them since I got pregnant.

Another thing I was missing were my cigars. I used to have one a month it was just a really nice way to relax outside and enjoy the evening hours on my porch with my husband. Now he smokes them by himself and even though I've had no morning sickness the smell of the smoke on him makes me feel sick. Kind of sad he has to change his clothes and brush after his cigar before he can come near me. But luckily he doesn't drink and smoke too often to try and avoid making me feel left out. So hopefully your husband is being cognizant of that too bc that has definitely helped me some.

Oh I totally know what you mean!!! I used to have a couple glasses of wine every night after dinner and on the weekends the hubby and I with or without friends would go out and have drinks and have a great time! I miss it a lot! I have found a brand of wine where the alcohol is removed. It takes just like wine - even smells like it but without the alcohol. So, that is what I will be drinking whenever I want a "cocktail."

I used to looooove my wine. I would drink wine every weekend, and we'd also go out with friends and have cocktails. The first couple weeks without, I definitely missed it. There was nothing I liked more than having a yummy snack and sitting with a glass of wine in front of the TV. Then, the morning sickness hit, lol. The sound of drinking alcohol is not appealing when you are nauseous.

Also, we've gotten together with friends a few times where they were all drinking and I was not, and honestly, I still had a good time. I think I was in a rut before I got pregnant, where I felt I had to drink socially in order to have a good time. It's just not like that for me anymore, and it's kind of refreshing to feel the way I felt before I was 21...I can enjoy myself without alcohol! I think the more time without alcohol, the easier it gets. But believe me, I'm looking forward to my first glass of wine after baby is born:-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->