The Open University and Distance Learning thread

My course materials came through yesterday. I'm so nervous about it all and fitting it in around my VERY demanding seven month old xx

Beginners French. I'm really confused as to what I'm meant to be doing, just working through the books? Or will the instructions come onto the website? Lol

Hi :wave:

Yea mumj18, if you log into the website there should be a study planner and everything you need to know, what to study when, tutor details, dates of assessments, and course forums :D

Some of them open quite early (before the course really starts), I'm doing Planetary Science and the Search for Life now which doesn't officially start till the 1st week of November but the course website has been open most of October, to let us introduce ourselves on the forums and all that jazz.

You will be fine hon, just try and fit in study when you can, and definitely get going on assessments in plenty of time - the biggest mistake I have ever made with my OU is leaving things till the last minute :wacko:

i'm starting to bang my head off the wall

i still don't understand the way things are marked :/ .. i was under the impression that level one courses don't count towards classification like you need to pass it but now i'm hearing that you NEED to have an average of 85% all the way through! :S so confused :( x

i'm starting to bang my head off the wall

i still don't understand the way things are marked :/ .. i was under the impression that level one courses don't count towards classification like you need to pass it but now i'm hearing that you NEED to have an average of 85% all the way through! :S so confused :( x

Really?!? What course is it you're on again sorry I can't remember :dohh: who is telling you you need 85%? The L1 I did had a pass mark of 40%... above L1 85% is a First in my experience.

I hope you find out what's going on x

Sorry i just noticed you replied(thank you x) :) its just horrid people in the f.b groups scaring me haha :) x well handed in my very first Assignment, it was for aa100 :) now just waiting for the marks ... tick tock x

Ah ok glad you got that cleared up! Waiting for results is pants isn't it, I'm having nightmares about the EMA results for U316 :argh:

All quiet in here... did you get those results Rhi?

I'm still panicking about the end of module assessment for Environmental web, but getting right stuck into Planetary science and the search for life. Fascinating stuff!

yes, it was a 62, could of been better i made some REALLY obvious mistakes, BUT i'm actually quite chuffed as its the first time i think i have picked up a pen in 5 years ! i mean other then to write my name on something :/ x

ooh What course you doing?? :)

just had a nosey on this thread and noticed that you have two under one! Is that right? How on earth do you manage to fit studying in too? I've just found out I'm pregnant again and am properly crapping myself!

xx

lol yep that's right!! It's hard! I mean my course started about 3 weeks ago and I've only had a chance to sit down and have alook at stuff and missed out on loads on the online part of it!! But, I'll get there :) Is this your second?? Congrats!!

By the way - on anyone's course do they have to do a wiki?? I REALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT!!!! :blush:

I can't believe you have two under one!!!! I think you are my new hero lol.
Mine just started too and I haven't found much time at all to study. My mum had my little girl today but here I am on here instead of studying! Yes this is my second - so I'll have two under two. Panic!!
xx

well he's over one now! But there's a 10 month 6 days gap (should have been 10 months if Henry decided not to squat for an extra 6 days lol) :)

You'll be fine you just sort of adapt to it and then before you know it it's all second nature :D

yes, it was a 62, could of been better i made some REALLY obvious mistakes, BUT i'm actually quite chuffed as its the first time i think i have picked up a pen in 5 years ! i mean other then to write my name on something :/ x

That's good! And you can learn from where you went wrong. Are your tutors comments helpful? It makes such a difference :)

Charlie you must be so busy... that is such a close age gap! I don't know how you can fit anything else in never mind studying!
By a wiki do you mean an online thingie you have to add information to? We had one of those in a previous course and it was a bit confusing. I'm sure your tutor could help if you email them.

I went to a fab tutorial on Saturday, for Planetary Science and the Search for Life. Was nervous as it was in Glasgow and I don't know the place, but it was pretty easy to find so I ended up there really early as I'd allowed for getting lost time after getting off the train :rofl:

We then went and joined a group doing Discovering Science as they were discussing rocks. The tutor bloke made us inspect the samples they'd grouped into classifications and say whether we agreed or not, it was hilarious, we felt like the bigger kids being made to correct the smaller ones (their course is level 1 and ours is level 2) :rofl:

In a sense, it tells me what i did wrong, etc my biggest issue was structure, which is understandable i suppose. And some of my sentences are wooden, (my words not hers) was abit annoyed with some comments! as they seem to boil down to a difference of opinion over the chapter. BUT shes the tutor not me :) i was just chuffed i passed tbh, i was sure it would be a 30 or something!haha x

In a sense, it tells me what i did wrong, etc my biggest issue was structure, which is understandable i suppose. And some of my sentences are wooden, (my words not hers) was abit annoyed with some comments! as they seem to boil down to a difference of opinion over the chapter. BUT shes the tutor not me :) i was just chuffed i passed tbh, i was sure it would be a 30 or something!haha x

Yea it's annoying when it seems opinion is coming into it. Some subjects are more like that than others... As with anything you get better at structuring things as you go on, so you'll be fine once you get into the way of it :)

I will be starting my degree in Criminology and psychological studies in January.
My course will consist of;

Introducing the social sciences
Rules, rights and justice: an introduction to law
Qualification awarded:
Certificate of Higher Education in
Social Sciences

Level 2
Exploring psychology
Welfare, crime and society
Qualification awarded:
Diploma of Higher Education in Criminology
and Psychological Studies

Level 3
Crime and justice
Social psychology: critical perspectives on self
and others
Qualification awarded:
BA or BSc (Hons) Criminology and
Psychological Studies

I am really looking forward to and all the prospects that lie ahead after completing the course.

Sounds like really interesting stuff qwerry :D

Sooooo who wants to do my course for me?? Hehe my tutor was about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->