The Open University and Distance Learning thread

October is finally here!!!!

LO starts childcare today and I start doing uni work properly, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek :wine::book::argh:

where are you all hiding? :haha:

I am not doing OU any more, but start a distance learning Access course on the 15th of this month :)

Hey guys,

Will you help me out? I'm thinking of doing an open degree but i'm sure yet. i've been emailing questions to the OU and they are slow to reply. I don't want to register and regret it... i am currently enrolled in a distance learning company and it's been one nightmare after another. I paid all my fees up front, yet because of various problems i have to pay more years tuition if i want to complete the courses. i've had bad tutors, been told wrong deadline dates, had trouble finding exam centres or somewhere that does the subject i was doing... it cost much more than i thought after paying more for exam papers and fees, books and text books. It also took much longer to do the work, read the books and do assignments than i was told and i don't want to have the same problem with the OU, so what i'm really asking is...

Do you have to pay extra for the exams? how many exams should i expect to take? do you have to buy books etc other than what are in your materials, and how long are you spending each week on the work?

Also, if i took it part time, and say i'd study a 60 credit module in a year, does that mean i can't do more or less than 60 if i had more time than i originally thought?

thank you in advance for any help you can give me :)

Hey guys,

Will you help me out? I'm thinking of doing an open degree but i'm sure yet. i've been emailing questions to the OU and they are slow to reply. I don't want to register and regret it... i am currently enrolled in a distance learning company and it's been one nightmare after another. I paid all my fees up front, yet because of various problems i have to pay more years tuition if i want to complete the courses. i've had bad tutors, been told wrong deadline dates, had trouble finding exam centres or somewhere that does the subject i was doing... it cost much more than i thought after paying more for exam papers and fees, books and text books. It also took much longer to do the work, read the books and do assignments than i was told and i don't want to have the same problem with the OU, so what i'm really asking is...

Do you have to pay extra for the exams? how many exams should i expect to take? do you have to buy books etc other than what are in your materials, and how long are you spending each week on the work?

Also, if i took it part time, and say i'd study a 60 credit module in a year, does that mean i can't do more or less than 60 if i had more time than i originally thought?

thank you in advance for any help you can give me :)

Hi hun, i've quoted your post so i can answer the best i can without leaving anything out! :)

The OU are being particularly slow at the moment for replying, i've been trying to register for a module but my login home isn't working, so waiting for them to sort it!

You don't pay extra for the exams
Number of exams you can expect, i'm afraid it varies from module to module, but for example i'm going to be studying a 60 point one in feb, there are 6 tutor marked assignments (assessments throughout the course) and 1 end of module exam.
For a 60 point one they estimate 16 hours a week, this could vary though it depends how quickly it sinks in etc!

Once you have registered on a course (say 60 points) if you find you have more time you can start another course on the next start date, OU can start courses 3 times a year on some modules.

Sorry if i've missed anything x

Right I wanted to ask you ladies.. how are you working this time wise?? Do you try and be a week in front, or just level with your dates? I'm a week in front on one, but since I'm doing 3 I'm trying to decide whether to be a week in front on all three?? :lol:

I'm aiming for 1/2 weeks ahead because I know me and I know I'll have lapses in motivation so I want to have it covered :haha:

I think maybe aim to be a week ahead on the one you find the hardest to do or stick to :flower:

Yeah. I'm a week ahead on the one I'm enjoying the most lol, I think I'm gonna try and get ahead on the others in this next few days

I'm a week behind, not fussed yet tbh haha, i have got a full 120 to do though so i should get a move on :/ but i'm not feeling it yet ! x

I'm doing a full 120 too. As of today I'm a week and a half in front of one of my 30's, not started the other really (neither start until the 6th though) and a few days in front of my 60. I've sorted some kind of time table out today though... I'm gonna be a busy lady :rofl:

I'm doing 120 too, I must say a time table has been in the making for a month now :rofl: I will finish it soon I hope :haha: I'm two weeks ahead so far, but who knows how long that will be kept up, eeeek! :argh:

My time table is pretty much everyday for 6 hours. :rofl: Well 5 days a week anyway, with a couple of hours at the weekend thrown in

That is a lot of hours!!! :argh: the scary looking hours is one of the reasons my time table is still in the decorating to look pretty stage :rofl:

:rofl: Mine looks quite pretty but it did shock me. I ideally want one day a week off during the week so I've had to share it out between the other six days :lol: I can't really do anything when Tegan's about as she likes to "help" :lol:

I haven't done a proper timetable yet as I'm hoping to get my work done while my OH, L, is also at uni, but her timetable differs week to week.

I'm doing a 60 credit unit and and a 30 credit unit, which is supposedly 16 hrs and 8 hrs a week, so a total of 24. I'm usually a quick learner though so I'm hoping to fit it in to about 20.

I've made a start on S104 and currently have 2 cut-up 2 litre bottles outside measuring rainfall :D

Lots of people on the Facebook group for my modules are waaay ahead and have done TMAs already, but the study planner guide doesn't start until next week so I think I'll stick to that.

Hi everyone, i'm newish to the OU (i did a 15 point course 2 years ago) i'm starting SDK125 in Feb, counting it towards Bsc hons Psychology.

I haven't done a proper timetable yet as I'm hoping to get my work done while my OH, L, is also at uni, but her timetable differs week to week.

I'm doing a 60 credit unit and and a 30 credit unit, which is supposedly 16 hrs and 8 hrs a week, so a total of 24. I'm usually a quick learner though so I'm hoping to fit it in to about 20.

I've made a start on S104 and currently have 2 cut-up 2 litre bottles outside measuring rainfall :D

Lots of people on the Facebook group for my modules are waaay ahead and have done TMAs already, but the study planner guide doesn't start until next week so I think I'll stick to that.

I've not looked on FB at my study groups yet. I don't want to get too far in front because I want to go along with class as it were, so when points of discussion are raised at tutorials/on forums the things they're discussing are current to me and not what I did a month ago. Are you enjoying it?

Hi everyone, i'm newish to the OU (i did a 15 point course 2 years ago) i'm starting SDK125 in Feb, counting it towards Bsc hons Psychology.

Hi :flower: Good luck! I bet you can't wait for February. I was counting down the days for the websites opening etc :lol:

Any advice on how to tackle it? I'm not sure what I am doing is what I should be doing iykwim. Do you just work through the activities?

If you go on the bit that says "module website and record" you should see something that says "week 1 study guide" or whatever week you're on. basically you just read through that and do everything that's on it, and just work through the links on the main module website and tick the boxes off

I am enjoying it, but I've really barely done anything yet. It's stressing me out a bit. I know tomorrow I won't know what's hit me.

I've introduced myself in the official OU tutor forum for S141 but they're discussing the first maths experiment already despite it not being properly discussed until the Elluminate tutorial on Thursday 11th. The fb group is just crazy ahead though so I'm avoiding that.

I tried to do my a levels via distance learning about 10 years ago, and I'm worried I'll struggle the same now. I think not being able to talk on the phone is a huge disadvantage to me...I got really confused about something the other day and emailed tutor but he just didn't answer my question. Luckily I braved the fb group and I got it after about 15 people trying to help me. I'm just a worrier I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->