The Open University and Distance Learning thread

God Tallybee!! sounds like a lot of work! And people seem to laugh when I say I'm doing an OU degree cause surely it must be 'easy' - if they saw what you've got to do.... they'd be eating their words!! :)

my ECA is going to be huge too; we have 4 pieces of work to perfect for our portfolios and an essay - it's a ton of work.
I can't believe that people think the OU is easy - it's at degree level :D

God Tallybee!! sounds like a lot of work! And people seem to laugh when I say I'm doing an OU degree cause surely it must be 'easy' - if they saw what you've got to do.... they'd be eating their words!! :)

I know! It really pisses me off when I hear people belittling OU degrees. It's a bloody lot of work, all done by self-discipline with very little input or help, and all squeezed in between a mass of other commitments!

I really respect anyone who can do it, I find it incredibly tough to motivate myself at times and have almost given up before now.

Honestly guys everyone who manages to get ANY assignments in on time deserves a medal in my book, the qualifications are a bonus! :lol:
vicki.mummy said:
my ECA is going to be huge too; we have 4 pieces of work to perfect for our portfolios and an essay - it's a ton of work.
I can't believe that people think the OU is easy - it's at degree level

Yup. SOme people really do think it'll be a walk in the park. I went into my current course with my eyes wide open, knowing it'd be a lot of hard work, but the national course forum is full of people bitching about the course, clearly having gone in thinking there would be tutors holding their hand every step of the way :wacko: It's final year Uni level material guys!! There is a fair whack of prior knowledge and understanding expected :dohh:

At the end of the day if it were easy then a degree would not be worth having at all :flow:

Exactly!! I went to uni for nearly 2 years, and the OU degree is a lot more effort and work and commitment! And all the course material you have to read/listen to/watch - it's a miracle anyone can get it done when they have a young family at home too! I was in about 8 hours a week at uni.... I end up putting in all my free time when S has gone to bed!

some of the people on the forums for my course are like that. the latest one is complaining that they are not getting relevant feedback and that is why they got lower grades OR that their tutor marks differently from everyone else's. It's actually ridiculous - no-one got extremely high grades on this TMA, it was a group work one and it was hard. I was pleased to come out with 91 (i got 94 in the one before that) - but others are coming out with 80-87(ish) and they are not pleased. It's sad that some feel they have to blame everyone else.

some of the people on the forums for my course are like that. the latest one is complaining that they are not getting relevant feedback and that is why they got lower grades OR that their tutor marks differently from everyone else's. It's actually ridiculous - no-one got extremely high grades on this TMA, it was a group work one and it was hard. I was pleased to come out with 91 (i got 94 in the one before that) - but others are coming out with 80-87(ish) and they are not pleased. It's sad that some feel they have to blame everyone else.

Eeeeehhhh that's daft. Some people are silly! :dohh:

91 to me IS an extremely high mark hon, so's anything near it tbh :flow:

Tutors don't just mark TMAs randomly either they have marking templates so it's actually pretty standardised. I do think some people on those OU forums are full of crap, some of them on my course have been explicitly rude and bitchy to the forum mods etc, like as if it's their fault?!? They're only moderating the forum not writing the textbooks :dohh:

It's a level 1 your course isn't it? The marks/grades at L1 don't actually count to a final qualification grade anyway (this peed me off actually back when I started out cos my S103 marks were always high), and once u get to L2 when they do count, anything above 85 is a distinction so anything above that would be on track for a first :)

You should be very proud of getting such high grades :flower:

i know i said that on my forums, but people are still going on and on about how hard done by they are...... it's ridiculous tbh!!

i know i said that on my forums, but people are still going on and on about how hard done by they are...... it's ridiculous tbh!!

:wacko:

Some people eh! If they spent more time on the work and less bitching on the forums they might do better :muaha:

Ahhhhhh motivation, motivation....... where are you? Please come back soon

:lol:

:haha: just think if you do it you're one step closer to finishing!!

I'm happy - got my tma04 back and got 65% which it good considering I was stupid and did it the night before it was due!! :) :) :) if I can get a 2.1 overall I'll be so happy!!

wow that's a really good grade - well done, congrats!!!
i don't understand the whole grading system 2:1 etc..... can someone explain it?

:haha: just think if you do it you're one step closer to finishing!!

I'm happy - got my tma04 back and got 65% which it good considering I was stupid and did it the night before it was due!! :) :) :) if I can get a 2.1 overall I'll be so happy!!

:thumbup: Well done, it's tough doing them at the last minute!

I'm heading for a 2:1 honours if I can keep myself at the grades I have been :)

vicki.mummy wow that's a really good grade - well done, congrats!!!
i don't understand the whole grading system 2:1 etc..... can someone explain it?

My understanding of it is this: Level 1 is Pass/Fail (ie the actual grades don't count towards your final degree/certificate/diploma classification)

Level 2 and 3: 85% or above is a distinction, which equates to a First class degree
70% to 84% is a grade 2 pass which equates to a 2:1
60%-69% is a level 3 pass which equates to a 2:2
40% (sometimes even 30%, the course guide will say the pass mark for that course) to 59% is a grade 4 pass which equates to a 3rd

Some courses have a 30-39 window where u can resit (this being for ECAs or exams)

Level 3 courses grade passes count for twice the weight of level 2 ones for the final degree class

This document explains it all in a really confusing way if you're interested :lol: I think I have got it right above though. Hope I have made sense :wacko:

xx

thanks hun, that helps!!!! I had a wee look and apparently both my level 1 courses you can pass at distinction level but neither actually count towards your final degree distinction.
I did a module assessment thing on the OU site - and if I can get 85+ on my other 2 TMA's and on my EMA then I can pass at distinction - keeping my fx'd!!!

Ahh noo the grading is different to other universities!! I thought I'd got a 2.1 dammit!!

well most unis 70% - 1st, 60-69% - 2.1, 50-59% - 2.2 40-49% - 3rd

So with 65% I thought I'd got a 2.1 but it's actually a 2.2 at the OU :dohh:

a 2:2 is still a brilliant grade - totally fab!!!!! :D well done

waahayyy :) finally got my financial application back :) !! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member