The Open University and Distance Learning thread

Just registered haha, i was going mad waiting on hearing back, over three months it took, least its all done now, its worrying not knowing what you are doing, kept saying well i MIGHT be doing that in October and you just don't know :p

which course is it you are doing again???

we were supposed to have an online group meeting last night with our tutor - i was the only person in my team to show up. I am incredibly annoyed - and the thing is these people complain that they don't get good marks but then don't put everything into it. My tutor said people think U101 is an easy course to pass - it's totally not.

which course is it you are doing again???

we were supposed to have an online group meeting last night with our tutor - i was the only person in my team to show up. I am incredibly annoyed - and the thing is these people complain that they don't get good marks but then don't put everything into it. My tutor said people think U101 is an easy course to pass - it's totally not.

Yea that's daft isn't it... there have been people on every course I have done bitching about how hard it is. Well if it was easy there's be no bloody point doing it would there :dohh:

Good on you for putting in the effort hon you deserve to do well

xx

i'm doing AA100 x

oh cool - that's me too :thumbup::haha: i'm looking forward to it!!!!

tallybee - i think that's just what people are like, i'm going to have to start ignoring it now i think!!! :blush:

the course and point system is still baffling me slightly! ... from what i understand you can only get funding once a year ?! (so one module) also struggling to understand how many points i need at each level etc etc :) .. like do i have to do more than one level one course.. personally i only like AA100 at level 1 .. and then want to jump onto one of the level two courses :) is that okay ?! xx

hi again,
you can get funding only once in your first (school) year; so it depends on when your courses start. i got funding for both of my courses (both 2011) but because they started in different school years; after your first year you can get funding upto 120 points per course. Points vary on courses and you need 360 points to get a degree. I am not sure if it is okay to go upto level 2 after your level 1 course - i think it might depend on the degree??? Have a look at how your degree is set out - it's always worth doing.

My tutor said its best to do the level 1 courses, then 120 credits at level 2 and 120 credits at level 3 making it up to 360 credits in total :)

so i should do more then one level one ? ... its just i really don't like the look of any ovas lol just gunna have to suck it up i suppose, might be surprised :) x

I didn't like the look of the other level 1 courses but she said the best one to do was the Voices and texts and then the making sense ofNthings. Apparenty they contains things to help you with levels 2 & 3 :shrug:

Yeah the learning is kind of progressive, so there's stuff at L2 that builds upon L1 stuff, then L3 that builds on the L2. So it makes sense to do them in order, but not everyone does!

For an Honours degree you need 360 points, at least 120 of which are at L3 and another 120 at L2 or above. The rest can be L1 or L2. I only have 60pts at L1, and when I have finished, I will have done 120 points at L3, 180 at L2 and the 60 at L1.

You can take an Ordinary degree with 300 points but I wouldn't really see the point of stopping so close to the mark of getting an Honours one - unless there were some circumstances personally affecting the decision of course.

This Page tells you about the points required for degrees - that particular page is related to the Open BSc/BA programme, but for named degrees the points/credits principle still stands (the only difference is that for named degrees there are specific courses/modules to take, for the Open one you can do whichever ones u like so long as they give you the required credits at the right levels! Phew!)

xx

I didn't like the look of any of the other level 1 courses for my degree either BUT I had an optional course at the end of my degree which is my level one AA100 - I'm just choosing to do it now. There are people on my course now (U101) who have done right up to level 3 and have come back down to do a level 1 at the end and they are HATING it.

^ Yeah I think I would find going back to L1 at the end pretty tedious. Like I said, I only have 60 L1 points counting towards my degree, I've done more at L2 to make up the credits :)

thanks :) might as well start this one before i start being a negative nelly about the over ones haha, getting ahead of myself :) thanks for the advice tho, i had another look at the site etc and yeah you are all prob right, best to just get on with them :)

Sometimes going through the reviews from students who've already done a course are the best way of deciding if it's for you. If I remember rightly they are usually accessible from the course description page you look at before signing up :thumbup:

They are often full of people saying that the workload was higher than expected.... just goes to show the arrogance of some of these people, thinking OU will be easy etc etc. But there are often good nuggets of info which can be really helpful in choosing between courses :)xx

Arrrrrrrrrhhh there are 2 calculations in my TMA that are worth 10 marks each, been through all the sums round and round and must be missing something cos I cannot see how either, but particularly the 2nd, can possibly be worth 10 marks :wacko: I need my brain to engage!

xx

What a great thread.... hope you don't mind if I join in?
I'm study W222 law course. I've done W100 a few years ago so it won't count towards a degree but it gave me an idea of the work involved.
I'm a top class procrastinator so put the work off and then panic when an assignment is due. I find the hardest thing is the lack of support from family. They don't understand why I want to get a degree, especially when I turn into an emotional wreck once a month at assignment time!
Good luck to you all x

What a great thread.... hope you don't mind if I join in?
I'm study W222 law course. I've done W100 a few years ago so it won't count towards a degree but it gave me an idea of the work involved.
I'm a top class procrastinator so put the work off and then panic when an assignment is due. I find the hardest thing is the lack of support from family. They don't understand why I want to get a degree, especially when I turn into an emotional wreck once a month at assignment time!
Good luck to you all x

:wave:
Hiya! Of course you can join us, the more the merrier!

I can completely relate to the procrastination thing! I've kind of learnt to pace myself better after a couple of near-disasters right at deadline time (including computer crashes which lost all my work :shock::hissy:) But I'm still bad for it :blush:

That's such a shame that your family aren't supportive :hugs: I'm lucky my OH realises I need him to take charge of the kids at times for me to get my stuff done, he's the only person I have around to help though. The summer holidays are going to be a killer - my workload is just piling on more and more, no summer break for us OU lot!

All the best with the studies hon, I'm sure you are more than capable of doing brilliantly at it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->