The tax credits change 16hrs to 24hrs min

And this 35hr - 20hr thing is only speculation, it has not been passed.

I'm all for reform and I do think that 24 hours should be more realistic in terms of working hours but what I don't agree with is just springing it on people with practically no warning whatsoever, especially whilst the job market is the way it is right now!

These changes were first annouced in June 2010. It's hardly springing it on people!

Well not been widly publicised then, prehaps I should have said instead! As to be fair not everyone has heard about these changes have they, hence this thread!

Not widely publicised meaning

In the June budget

Announced in every news broadcast after the budget

On the front page of basically every newspaper...

Sorry but if you care, you make sure you know these things, did you expect them to send a little man round house to house just incase people hadnt bothered finding out??

All I am saying is obviously some people have missed it!

Anyway your clearly picking at my post so I'll just leave it there!
x

Every budget is talked about, analyised and all changes spelled out by every major newspaper and news channel.

It's actually harder to miss it, people just forget about it beacuse they annouce changes to be rolled out over 3 years.

All I am saying is obviously some people have missed it!

Anyway your clearly picking at my post so I'll just leave it there!
x

It was certainly not my intention to pick at your posts...

I could say the same thing about your first post if I was being pedantic!

I know people don't take note of these things, but they are widely publicised and really, if you have information about something that greatly affects you, then you should make it your business to be aware of it, when it's going to happen etc.

Becoming registered as self employed is not hard, the job centre have plenty of information on it...

actually my appointment today was a waste time :( they had no info at all to help me! so we chatted about benefits etc instead
We came home and did a massive net search and have found a company who help people build up self employment from scratch all for free thanks to government funding, so OH has a appointment with them next week.
We did mention to the JC about the job he has been offered and the hours, and they said finding 4 or so to top up will be pointless as there nothing round, going fully self-employed though it may take a few months,with the job on the side for the time being is the best option for now and just see how things go :)

Sorry it was a waste of time! Bloody job centre what exactly do they DO!!!

Glad you got some answers from other sources though x

Why is attacking me helping you elucida?

I have never once stated you do not know about pain and suffering in the world, simply explained myself through my experiences.

There is a big difference between saying

'I have travelled and find it hard to hate our government entirely in light of what I have seen'

And

'you've obviously never travelled'

I said the former, not the latter so please do stop putting words into my mouth.

You think my opinions are flawed, fine.

I believe it is perfectly acceptable to expect a family containing 2 parents to work a total of 24 hours a week between them, in order to qualify for a higher benefit.

If families cannot achieve that, they will still be allocated 105 per couple and 62 for the first child (not sure what for additional children) to live on. That is enough to buy food and fuel, I know that because I am living it.

Poverty in this country and poverty in somewhere like Cambodia, or Africa or even America frankly, are different things.

But this is not a thread about attacking bankers and bleating on about what should be happening, nor is it a thread on making massive assumptions of what 'may' happen in the future regarding further increases in tax credits. this is a thread about the tax credits changing, something you seem unable to talk about without pulling up a whole other bunch of stuff!

And then getting irate because I havent fully covered all the aspects of society you would like me to cover??

We are talking about the recent changes to tax credits, not some defamation of the entire of the countries social and economic policies.

The "when you travel the world" quote is pretty suggestive of the belief that anyone who has travelled the world would surely see things a certain way. So, my not seeing things your way must mean I'm not well travelled by default. It's not putting words in your mouth, at all. At best, it's poor wording and at worst, you're being erratic.

Either way, I'm not here to become bogged down in meaningless sidetracking.

Perspective means nothing to most people. Such is relativity. We can still cry about having AIDS even though it's not so bad as terminal cancer.

I think it's more supportive to empathise, to be frank than to offer temporary band aids surrounded with words that are akin to those the tories themselves are endlessly bleating on the subject. I'm not attacking you at all, I just resent that kind of ignorance and I have nothing to feel better about just yet - since I am fortunate enough not to be in that situation.

This is a public forum, if you don't like people disagreeing with you... Don't post?

Why is attacking me helping you elucida?

I have never once stated you do not know about pain and suffering in the world, simply explained myself through my experiences.

There is a big difference between saying

'I have travelled and find it hard to hate our government entirely in light of what I have seen'

And

'you've obviously never travelled'

I said the former, not the latter so please do stop putting words into my mouth.

You think my opinions are flawed, fine.

I believe it is perfectly acceptable to expect a family containing 2 parents to work a total of 24 hours a week between them, in order to qualify for a higher benefit.

If families cannot achieve that, they will still be allocated 105 per couple and 62 for the first child (not sure what for additional children) to live on. That is enough to buy food and fuel, I know that because I am living it.

Poverty in this country and poverty in somewhere like Cambodia, or Africa or even America frankly, are different things.

But this is not a thread about attacking bankers and bleating on about what should be happening, nor is it a thread on making massive assumptions of what 'may' happen in the future regarding further increases in tax credits. this is a thread about the tax credits changing, something you seem unable to talk about without pulling up a whole other bunch of stuff!

And then getting irate because I havent fully covered all the aspects of society you would like me to cover??

We are talking about the recent changes to tax credits, not some defamation of the entire of the countries social and economic policies.

The "when you travel the world" quote is pretty suggestive of the belief that anyone who has travelled the world would surely see things a certain way. So, my not seeing things your way must mean I'm not well travelled by default. It's not putting words in your mouth, at all. At best, it's poor wording and at worst, you're being erratic.

Either way, I'm not here to become bogged down in meaningless sidetracking.

Perspective means nothing to most people. Such is relativity. We can still cry about having AIDS even though it's not so bad as terminal cancer.

I think it's more supportive to empathise, to be frank than to offer temporary band aids surrounded with words that are akin to those the tories themselves are endlessly bleating on the subject. I'm not attacking you at all, I just resent that kind of ignorance and I have nothing to feel better about just yet - since I am fortunate enough not to be in that situation.

This is a public forum, if you don't like people disagreeing with you... Don't post?

say what?

Not widely publicised meaning

In the June budget

Announced in every news broadcast after the budget

On the front page of basically every newspaper...

Sorry but if you care, you make sure you know these things, did you expect them to send a little man round house to house just incase people hadnt bothered finding out??

Jesus Christ, is that you David Cameron?

What a horribly unsympathetic character. This has actually been largely overlooked until recently and many major economists will agree, there's a bloody good reason for them keeping it so low key. It's huge and warrants information being sent directly to people affected. People have a right to be informed, not everyone knows where to look. There are children to consider, children whose parents aren't in the know will be in dire straits come April when they have to beg, borrow and steal to pay rent/eat/keep warm. I suppose they could just take some responsibility too eh? Maybe even get a job for the lady down the road... Cushy!

Finding work seems so hard at the moment x
My dad says that if they lowered the retirement age to 60 then there would be more jobs available x
I work 25 hours a week & DH works 37 so we're not entitled to anything x
If DH is on a good wage & I dropped my hours to 1 hour less a week would I be entitled to WTC?? or does it go on your income as a whole? x

I agree with this. My friend and I were discussing this kidn of thing today, her sil is trying to find a job...............she has been applying for everything she fits the bill for and NADDA - as she is 19 so a lot of students are applying for the same jobs. She has a job in a shop now, but its as and when they want her to work as its older people doing the main shop work.

If they expect folk to work to 67 now.........or even older.............and the economy isnt growing, then where do these new hours spring from??? Or new jobs? The onyl way I can see it happening is if companies pay LESS and then take that ££ and use it to employ another person, so say a team of 5 on 20k would be cut to 15k, but become a team of 6.............

Lol!

I have no issue with people disagreeing with me, it's wildly inappropriate insults like;

Jesus Christ, is that you David Cameron?

What a horribly unsympathetic character. This has actually been largely overlooked until recently and many major economists will agree, there's a bloody good reason for them keeping it so low key. It's huge and warrants information being sent directly to people affected. People have a right to be informed, not everyone knows where to look. There are children to consider, children whose parents aren't in the know will be in dire straits come April when they have to beg, borrow and steal to pay rent/eat/keep warm. I suppose they could just take some responsibility too eh? Maybe even get a job for the lady down the road... Cushy!

Which makes me not wish to converse with a person, I have better things to do than be insulted by someone who lacks tact, decency and the ability to debate.

I have offered NOTHING but my opinion and support on this thread, I do feel that announcing a change in the budget nearly a year before the change happens and it being written in every newspaper/on every news channel should be enough for people to know about what's going on!

If you disagree, fine, but don't insult me. Nobody else on this thread has sunk low enough for that, I am not sure why you feel the need to in all honesty!

Hoovering for the old lady down the road, cutting grass?? All work you get money for has to be registered I'm not even sure what you would say for a job title..... Yes 4 hours might sound easy to fill, but doubt it's as easy as you make out

Hoovering for the old lady down the road, cutting grass?? All work you get money for has to be registered I'm not even sure what you would say for a job title..... Yes 4 hours might sound easy to fill, but doubt it's as easy as you make out

You would say 'self employed 4hrs' and provide receipts as proof, I doubt the tax office care exactly what your doing but 'handyman' or 'homecare' would work...

Look I just think there are ways round the change which IS happening, no matter how we complain about it. People WILL survive it.

Mind you, I am kind of regretting ever sharing my views on this thread, all I seem to be doing is putting myself on the recieving end of all this hatred and abuse, when actually I haven't decided on these changes, am just trying to help people see a way around them. Obviously that is the wrong thing to do and we should all just throw our arms in the air and complain about how 'unfair' it all is!

Which clearly, helps far far more ](*,)

Yep! It's a pain in the arse (once a year)

I take it the once a year is one of those 'well you only do it once a year' comments. :roll: doesn't matter that its once a year, you still need to keep all your information and be taxed on two incomes! So no for 4 hours a week is it really worth it and to be fair tax returns are a pain in the arse and a lot of people get it wrong, confuse themselves and end up with fines.

You would say 'self employed 4hrs' and provide receipts as proof, I doubt the tax office care exactly what your doing but 'handyman' or 'homecare' would work...

Look I just think there are ways round the change which IS happening, no matter how we complain about it. People WILL survive it.

Mind you, I am kind of regretting ever sharing my views on this thread, all I seem to be doing is putting myself on the recieving end of all this hatred and abuse, when actually I haven't decided on these changes, am just trying to help people see a way around them. Obviously that is the wrong thing to do and we should all just throw our arms in the air and complain about how 'unfair' it all is!

Which clearly, helps far far more ](*,)

I feel for you, every thing you have said of which I agree with 99% has pretty much been thrown back at you.
Id give up if I where you, some people only want to focus on doom and gloom.

I take it the once a year is one of those 'well you only do it once a year' comments. :roll: doesn't matter that its once a year, you still need to keep all your information and be taxed on two incomes! So no for 4 hours a week is it really worth it and to be fair tax returns are a pain in the arse and a lot of people get it wrong, confuse themselves and end up with fines.

What else do you suggest?

There is no work, without doing an extra few hours a week, people are going to loose their working tax credits that will be devastating.

What do you suggest? Because actually, rather than just rubbishing someone because you disagree with them, you could put that energy into helping folk work out what the hell they are going to do?

I fail to see how it's become my 'fault' that the tax credits are changing! If it were affecting us, and we needed 4/6/8 hours to make that up, I would find a way to do that to the best of my ability. Not just complain about it and shout at anyone who suggests there is a way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->