thinking about swapping to cloth...

Zarababy1

4 boys. TTC #5
Reaction score
So ladies at first i thought well iv started with sposies now so i might as well stick with them! but i guess hes only 9 weeks old got ages left in nappies yet! also i felt kinda bad for charlie because hes still in nappies and i'll be keeping him in sposies! Buuut he shouldnt have too long left in them really! so anyway...is it fair to have one in cloth and one not? Also .. what do i need? how many nappys/insterts and stuff do i need too buy? How often do you wash them?? annnd ummm whats a rough start up cost?

I'm pretty new to all this so I'm sure others can give you better answers but you can buy preloved nappies for cheaper prices or buy say 10 in bulk new for roughly £150??
It's best to try out different types first before you buy loads in case you don't get on with them.
I know you can buy birth to potty size so if you older boy feels left out then he could try one too. Depending on how many nappies you buy you can wash every other day to weekly. Most nappies come with boosters etc but just check before you buy, but it's always good to have extra as the ittis or example can just remove the booster if it's wet and pop in a new one, saves changing the whole nappy.
You need a wet bag (monkey foot ones are fab), and probably a nappy bin but that's about it really. HTH x

hey hun, it depends on what kinda fluff you wanna get in regards to price...a good starting point would be Flips....they are a 2 part system where you have a pad that you put in a waterproof outer wrap....you could buy 4-6 full systems (inserts and outers) then just buy about 6-10 extra inserts ...that ould be enough to wash every 2-3 days (depending on how often you change your LO and if you wanted Charlie to wear them too)

The good thing about them is you dont have to change the outer everytime you change the nappy (only the insert so long as the outer isnt pooed on!LOL)

they are birth to potty too so Charlie could share the nappies with Harry :)

Linky : https://www.fill-your-pants.com/product/241/121/flip-organic

also if you wanted a few pretty's check out www.clothnappytree.com for preloveds ...that way you can try a few bits out without spending a fortune and risking that they dont suit your LO :)

cloth nappy .... you can really spend as much or as little as you are willing to spend, depends on how important certain factors are to you, if you really want a whole collection of cute show off type nappies then it will cost alot more than if you went for the simple plain nappy's.

what i would suggest is don't go for just 1 style, not right away, i'd suggest buying a few different styles/makes and see what works best for you and harry, what works great for 1 mummy & baby can be a disaster for another mummy & baby, since all babies are difference sizes and shapes.

yea i agree with others, you can make it suit your budget. Some people buy mainly preloveds though a lot of issues seems to be arising from this at the moment so i'd take caution. Also agree with buying some birth to potty nappies and then they might fit charlie too. For newborns it's advised somewhere in the region of 20 nappies to give you a days worth plus washing but not a lot of people buy all them in one go, they build it up one by one as and when they can afford.

I love Flips too - they're my staple day nappy - so I'd also recommend them as a good starting point. They work fantastically for me just as they are, but you can use the two different parts with other nappies too i.e. you can use the outer as a wrap for fitted nappies (which aren't waterproof on their own) and I use the stay dry inserts in all of my pocket nappies, so they're versatile if you want to try other kinds later on. You should be able to use them on Charlie too if you wanted, or just occasionally. I really want to try Leyla's nappies out on my 20 month old nephew when I can catch him!

For full time Flip usage for Leyla, I have 9 outers and 21 inserts. With that, I can wash every third day (6 outers in the wash, 3 used on the third day). Leyla does only poo once a day though so I can reuse the outers most of the time. For a baby who poos more, you might have to wash more often. Leyla isn't a heavy wetter during the day so I only change her about every 4 hours; again you might need more inserts if your LO wees more than that.

I wouldn't worry about whether it's fair to have one in cloth and one not - we all do the best we can for each child individually. Leyla isn't breastfed (which I regret horribly) and I would try so hard to BF if we had another child. I wouldn't let the fact that I didn't BF Leyla put me off and I'd do the same with cloth if Leyla was in sposies :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->