Thyroxine and Breastfeeding

rozzibee

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I was wondering if any of you could help me. I'm sure I saw on a thread here about someone who said they weren't able to breast feed because of being on thyroxine.

I had thyroid cancer and therefore had to have my entire thyroid removed, so I will be on thyroxine for the rest of my life. I am being tested every 4 weeks to see if my levels need changing throughout pregnancy, but no one has ever said anything to me about not being able to breast feed while taking it. I was just taking it as read that I would be breast feeding again as I did with my first (Although I still had my thyroid then though!)

Can anyone who is on thyroxine tell me what they know to be true?

Thanks

I'm afraid I don't know. Have you tried posting in the bf-ing forum to see if anyone there knows? They are always really helpful in there.

xx

Hello! I had thyroid cancer too and so have no thyroid, I breastfed my son for the first 2 months, while he was in Nicu and was told it was absolutely fine, the thyroxine is only replacing what you should produce naturally :) just keep getting your level checked as I needed my thyroxine increasing shortly after birth as was soooo tired, not what you need with a newborn lol!

I plan on breastfeeding this one too, hopefully for longer this time :) good luck and I hope all goes well x x x

I've been told it's absolutely fine to breast feed while on thyroxin. I've asked my midwife and my consultant and got the same answer.

Yep my sister bf while taking it too! It's only a replacement fir what your body would be making naturally xxx

I've not been told not to breastfeed, I have an underactive thyroid and am on thyroxine, and tbh as with many medications, even if there was a slight risk, the benefits would outweigh it.

One of my good friends is on thyroxine and exclusively BF her daughter for 6 months last year. She is under one of the top endocrinologists in the country and they said it was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->