Time off work due to pregnancy?

DreamCatcher_

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had to take time off work in first tri due to pregnancy symptoms?

I had to phone in sick this morning because I felt so tired, so run down and so nauseous. I then went back and slept for a total of 12 hours and I'm still hanging on the couch now.

I don't remember being this way with my DS and, although nauseous I've not been sick so feel guilty. I know I need to rest and baby comes before work but, as a teacher, we seem to be wrecked with guilt at being off and expected to work through it all and so on because our absence inconveniences others.

I'm going to have to go in tomorrow, as I'll need anrdturn to work interview if I take another day off, but I still don't feel right. Am I wrong to have taken a day off when I'm not actually suffering ms? Should I man up a bit?

Personally I think you should do what you need to, although I understand being a teacher would be difficult. Your students still need to be taught even when you are absent of course.

I've missed two days in the last couple weeks due to morning sickness, but my direct supervisor knows I'm pregnant. Nobody else. (unless they've guessed) My employer is, however, a little bit more flexible in regards to absences.

Don't feel guilty at all for struggling or putting yourself and baby first. Pregnancy is bloody hard for some of us so you rest if you need to.

I had a fair bit of time off last pregnancy and I'm a teacher. I ended up having 2 weeks for morning sickness and then about a month due to severe anaemia. The kids were OK and sometimes you just have to let go! We work really hard as teachers so if you don't feel up to it then don't go in.

I just took off a week and a half. And today is my first day back and I'm strugglong.I'm a building sub (so i have a little more flexibilty) and I totally get why you would call off.

I'm not going to argue that other workers have it easier, but it is certainly more convenient than working in a classroom. It's not like you can just leave whenever you want if you need the bathroom!

I also suffer with extreme nausea but very little throwing up (like once every day/every other day). It's real. No need to feel guilty.

My sister in law threw up a TON with her pregnancies, but would feel pretty fine in between her bouts of vomit. So everyone is different.

Thanks everyone, it's nice to know that I'm not alone.

I've had one more day off today and feel much better, I'll definitely be back in to work tomorrow. I think I'll need to let them know soon though, in case I'm ever off again.

With my first pregnancy with DS I had several bouts of sickness but felt perfectly fine before and after. This time however I'm run down, achey and nauseous 24/7.

OH brought me in some ginger biscuits to nibble on in the morning, to stem off the nausea.

Hey - we've got the same due date. :)

I'm also really struggling and have been considering whether I need a couple of days off to rest. I feel like a zombie a lot of the time. I have half term off tho as annual leave so just trying to focus on that but it's so hard. Don't think you should feel guilty for 2 days off. People take sick leave for far less! Early pregnancy is exhausting!!

You can apply for FMLA if need be. I had morning sickness going into my 2nd and was approved.

Do what you need to do. I would NOT tell your employer you are pregnant until after first tri. I lost my last job due to taking time off in first tri. It doesn't end well. My suggestion is tell your gyn and have her write a note. All it has to say is you have been placed off work from x day to x day. Make sure she deletes obgyn from the note unless you don't mind leaving it on. My gyns always did except my last pregnancy she forgot and lo and behold how that worked out. Just remember you legally do not have to disclose why you are out/that you are pregnant. You should eventually out of courtesy/ to make arrangements. But if you are so sick you can't work def talk to your gyn about things that can help. Hugs hugs hope you feel better

I do think it depends on your employer. I personally would not lie to mine for 8 weeks + if I was struggling with MS. My friend and I work together and she's had HG these last few weeks. Our employer has been amazing. No issues with her having time off (3weeks at first), my manager in particular has been so sympathetic and he's a bloke! Now she's on meds and doing a bit better she's been allowed to work from home or go into the office if she feels up to it, so she's been doing two days in, three at home.

I'd weigh up your situation, you know your boss/employer. Maybe it's different in the US, but in the U.K. they can't fire you for being ill. If you have a doctors note, they cannot get rid of you from a permanent job for short term illness absense. It would be unfair dismissal. The rules are that an employer must:

look for ways to support you - eg considering whether the job itself is making you sick and needs changing

give you reasonable time to recover from your illness

So with morning sickness, chances are the second rule would apply as hopefully your back up and running in the second tri.

I think teaching and people facing jobs must be so hard with MS. We just work in an office, so other than awkward white lies to other colleagues, you can hide behind behind your computer or work from home if your feeling rubbish (for any reason!) .. I do feel for you guys! But try to think that 1/2/3 weeks off or just odd days is such a tiny amount of time in the grand scheme of things! It'll be forgotten soon enough once you feel back to normal hopefully!

I will add I am an elementary school teacher as well. I have lost two jobs to difficult pregnancies. The first the union saved and I refused to go back to work for that b*. So unless you are tenure be careful.

I got a sick note for this week for the same reasons. Just resting, eating a lot and going to doctors appointments.
I will tell my boss asap as it's just me in the office and this will effect my work. But I would like to wait out my betas and ultrasound this week so I have to at least not lie all the time when I'm staying home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->