Tips to make hair dye stick?

MiniKiwi

Reaction score
My hair has been bleached and I've tried to dye over it a couple of times but the colour just ends up washing out and then my hair looks orangey toned.. Which I don't want.

Any tips? It's like a dark blonde now and I want a chocolate or even light brown dye to stick on it. What sort of colour should I use to avoid orange tones?

When my hair was bleached, color would not stick well. Bleach opens the hair and all, so hair dye washes out easily. I just kept dying it and more and more stuck eventually. Had a lot of in between color though!

Wish I could help more, but all I remember was I kept dying it, and I had an odd strawberry blonde color for a while.

it sounds as though you've over coloured your hair and each time you use a colourant that contains peroxide you are making the issue closer to beyond repair. If you've used a dark colour and it keeps washing out as far as orange, it sounds quite an issue. I have been there once years ago with a section of my hair. Not even a base one would cover it :shock: and everytime i tried i was digging a deeper hole! i had no idea about proper hair care back then though.

I would suggest leaving your hair for a good few weeks, use a protein treatment once a week (no more than that, over protein can cause more issues) and avoid heat styling where possible. Remember hair can't exactly repair - it can rest, and it can be held together by all these fancy products out there but when damage is done, its done.
I would suggest raw coconut oil for your hair too , just apply to damp hair and leave (keep warm!)

What hair colourants were you using to dye over your hair?

I actually haven't coloured it for 12 ish weeks. It's not orange, but orangey tones which is why I want it dark as I can't stand the orangey types of colours. I'm good for looking after it, use a treatment once a fortnight and about once a fortnight I also cover it in this hair oil before I wash it. I only heat style it once a week or so, never use a hair dryer.

The dyes just won't stick, it doesn't look in awful condition though :/ They've been permanent box dyes that I've used before, in light browns but they wash out and the blonde with orange tones comes through after not long. I just want dark brown hair! Dark box dyes don't contain peroxide..do they?

They do indeed. Pretty much anything that says permanent or semi permanent do contain hydrogen peroxide, which is needed to deposit the dye.
It's great you haven't touched it for 12 weeks though. I'd recommend a dye that is a cool brown. Nothing with warmth. So looks out for words like warm, copper, red - avoid them and go for cool and ash.

A few years ago I bleached my hair and dyed it red and it was the most amazing thing ever (if I do say so myself!) but I dyed over it after about 6 months. Then about a year later I tried to go back to the same red, bleached it again and had this problem. No matter what nothing would stick and it always looked faded and crap. I tried dying brown again but again it would just fade.
In the end I just had to put a permenant darkest brown on it, it went totally black but it worked. I used head and shoulders to get it to fade a bit and after about half a dozen washes it settled on a dark brown.

Sorry it's not much help, it was a total last resort for me but a year on and my hairs a nice dark brown, I rarely need to dye it and it's in great condition.

If you're wanting to go brown, then put a base semi/demi red on then a brown over. If you try to go over a blonde with a brown colour you'll end up with green hair. Red is the hardest colour to ridden in the future though. But you can't dye your hair lighter than it already it, only bleach. So from dark blonde to light brown would be impossible without bleaching.

I've been almost every colour on the chart and end up blonde again at the end of it. Went from black to platinum in a week, I'm surprised I have any hair left. I'm currently growing the bleach out atm and having semi-ombré every 2-3 months at the salon to match my natural colour to cover up my growth.

I would deff avoid using any more perm dyes as atomic pink says every time you use peroxcide you are making it worse.

I would suggest the Olia colours if you are doing it at home or semi perm. And stick to cool tones like ash colours - avoid anything red/orange based. And use the same colour a few times.

My hair was bleached 2 years ago when I went bright red and it still fades really quickly at the ends.

For me I used Revlon colour bombs - was a shampok with pure colour in it which I would use every week in between dyes to help the colour stay.

Or depending how long ur roots are go for the dip dye look.

Olia , whilst it claims "no ammonia", it still contains peroxide so its absolutely no different from any other colourant. Hair should never be processed more than once every 4-6 weeks, but everyones hair is different so even that rule of thumb could cause big problems for someone with weaker hair.

I'm not sure if you will have any better luck but Adore might be worth a shot. It wont harm your hair anyway(Guaranteed) but might stain it enough for it to remain. You can use this as much as you want and its even conditioning! I'm thinking a few goes at this might just solve your issue. People, including hairdressers(I was one!) run temporary colours down all the time because they say they only last a few washes. It actually depends what brand you use! (My temp dye is ridiculously so permanent even black dye struggles to cover it :/ :haha:)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111...3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->