to circumcise or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my feelings are that it is a totally unnecessary procedure unless there are medical grounds for doing it. Im also from the UK and ive never heard of anyone getting it done unless it was due to a medical condition. That is the way nature intended it, so dont alter something for cosmetic reasons. Thats just my opinion. xx

EDIT:- and it should be left to when the male is old enough to make that decision for themselves as to if they want it done. Babies dont get to voice their opinions.

https://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/circumcision-video.html

Is this for real? Dear god! Please tell me they normally use local anasthetic? Poor poor baby :sick: :shock:

Sadly it's very real and anaesthetic is frequently not used. Even where it is it is not always very effective and injecting the anaesthetic itself it a painful procedure.

I didn't read through this whole thread but I have some input to give to all.

My DH is not circumcised and he grew up catholic so that is a big reason but also he was adopted at birth and here in Oklahoma at the hospital he was born at the decision has to be made within 48 hours of the birth and if you choose to at a later date the infant has to be under 6 months old. Any time after that it has to be a medical reason or done once the child is of age to make medical decisions for themselves.

I also have been with both types of penises and the only difference that I have noticed is the sensitivity the male feels during and after sex. My DH is much much more sensitive during and after sex than some circumcised men I have been with. This is one of the reasons we do not use condoms, I am allergic but also they are uncomfortable for him, any brand , any size, doesn't matter they all hurt.

In the hygiene department both can be equally as clean and equally as dirty depending on personal grooming habits so that part I don't think should be in this equation on deciding what to do. Yes when the child is an infant and you are still cleaning their diapers you have to take some extra time to make sure the foreskin is clean but it takes a whole 20 extra seconds. If the foreskin gets infected it swells but also if you don't keep the incision clean after a circumcision it can also get infected.

I have worked in child care for many years and once had a 14 month old who's foreskin tried to grow back because his mother did not know she was supposed to keep the skin moist. That was painful for him when they had to go back in and re-cut the skin. Think about how bad it burns when you have a yeast infection or UTI and you go pee. OUCH.

All in all it is a personal family decision that needs to be made before your in the hospital with the doctor in your face going come on make a choice and your stuck going uh uh uh yeah do it/don't do it!!

I'm not reading anyone else's comments on here, cuz I don't care about their opinions, but since you asked, I'll give you mine :)

Growing up, I always said I would never circumcise if I had a boy. My husband is not circumcised, so we had no problems deciding that we were not going to circumcise our son Cameron :)

I really appreciate how the circ rate has dramatically decreased from 56% in 2006 to 32% as of 2009. I would love to know what the rate was in 2010. Anyone know?

not sure if they have that data collected/verified/analyzed yet blutea!

I keep waiting for the top names of 2010 to come out so I can see if there are any shifts in popularity for a name I'm loving that may be WAY too popular now :haha:

I really appreciate how the circ rate has dramatically decreased from 56% in 2006 to 32% as of 2009. I would love to know what the rate was in 2010. Anyone know?

OT but there is a gal in the baby club section you should get in contact with...she's a little over 1 wk pp and wants to reestablish BF...I told her you were who she should talk to.:thumbup:

not sure if they have that data collected/verified/analyzed yet blutea!

I keep waiting for the top names of 2010 to come out so I can see if there are any shifts in popularity for a name I'm loving that may be WAY too popular now :haha:

on topic...one was sent to my email just the other day...I had no idea my daughters name was so popular this year (granted hers is spelled different)

https://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-names-2010?scid=momsbaby_20110104:4&pe=MlV6Yk94YXwyMDExMDEwNA..

Our favorite boy name was #38 in California in 2009, but was #1 or #2 in several other states... I think it was pretty low nation-wide though (if you want to know the site where I get all that data, I'm happy to share! :) )
Of some of our other favorite names, one was #5 and one was #6 in California... :dohh:
DH likes traditional names though I don't like many of them so the few I do like seem to be quite popular! :(

Our favorite boy name was #38 in California in 2009, but was #1 or #2 in several other states... I think it was pretty low nation-wide though (if you want to know the site where I get all that data, I'm happy to share! :) )
Of some of our other favorite names, one was #5 and one was #6 in California... :dohh:
DH likes traditional names though I don't like many of them so the few I do like seem to be quite popular! :(

I would love that site name. I want to see where my LO's name is!

https://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager
play with the orange tabs at the top... name mapper shows you popularity by state etc! Even historically. I adore this site! :)

OT but there is a gal in the baby club section you should get in contact with...she's a little over 1 wk pp and wants to reestablish BF...I told her you were who she should talk to.:thumbup:

Sure, I'd love to talk with her. What's her screen name? Do you have a link to the thread?

I haven't seen any new stats yet.... but also of note there tends to be a huge variation in circumcision rates among each different state ranging from about 20ish percent to 70ish percent.... Canada's the same with ranges between 5-50% among the different provinces. But overall there does tend to be a downward trend and more and more parents are keeping their little boys intact thank goodness.

https://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager
play with the orange tabs at the top... name mapper shows you popularity by state etc! Even historically. I adore this site! :)

I tried the site and neither of my kids names are on it nor are the names we are contemplating for Baby Peanut.

kandy - are the names common? Are the spellings unusual? Thats so odd... there are a few names that I found weren't on there.. .mostly because they've never been in the top 100 etc...

I am team pink so we don't have this decision but wanted to share what I heard from a friend before we found out it was a girl and we were dicussing this.

He said that he decided to get circumcised when he was 15 years old for cosmetic/social reasons only. He had already been sexually active at that point. He says that he regrets it bitterly as sex has never been the same since. He says that it was much more sensitive and pleasurable before he had the surgery, which had no complications and went perfectly.

I wouldn't want to take that from my son, as strange as that may be to think about. And, the social pressure that our friend experienced is not the same these days or in the more liberal area that we live in.

Thinking about it... it seems truly barbaric. Cutting off part of the body with the effect or reducing sexual pleasure? What year is this?

Thinking about it... it seems truly barbaric. Cutting off part of the body with the effect or reducing sexual pleasure? What year is this?

It's truly barbaric. There are regions in Africa that circumsize women by cutting off their clitoris and I think one of the main reasons is to take away her ability to feel pleasure. It seems to me pretty much the same thing.

Does anyone know what the religious laws are that require jewish and muslim boys to be circumsized?

That is a good question, Palestrina. I have always wondered that myself. Hope someone can answer.

We found out Thursday that we are team pink, but I am still glad that we had the discussion and I did the research so we could make a decision. We are 100% certain she's a girl, but at least I know that if some weird circumstance happened and she came out a boy, we would know that we will not be circumcising.

I haven't seen any new stats yet.... but also of note there tends to be a huge variation in circumcision rates among each different state ranging from about 20ish percent to 70ish percent.... Canada's the same with ranges between 5-50% among the different provinces. But overall there does tend to be a downward trend and more and more parents are keeping their little boys intact thank goodness.

So true. In our state (Idaho) the circ rate is low according to recent studies but in our local town it seems to be quite high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaidemocr
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->