To have a 4th or not?

Hi, I don't know where else to post this so I hope you don't mind me jumping on here! My children are 8 and almost 6 and I'm about to turn 38 so time is definitely not on my side. Plus my husband is absolutely done! BUT I just can't stop thinking about having another child. I hate the idea of sleepless nights and logic says why would we have another when things are so much easier now and logistically it just works in terms of clubs, activities, holidays, car, house etc! But regardless of all this, I just can't shake the idea. I come home to my kids after work and I feel like there's a child missing. I look at photos of holidays we've had and it feels like there's a child missing from the photos! I know that sounds totally crazy but it's how I feel.
I don't even know how I would broach this subject with my husband. We can't even ntnp and see what happens because I have a coil and having it removed would be like confirmation that we are trying! We've got a holiday booked for April and a weekend break for our wedding anniversary booked in July so I know he'll say how can we even think about it at this time. I know he'll say he doesn't want to go back to the baby and nappy and tantrum stage. He'll say what about the affect on our two existing children. He'll say why would we have another and risk all the potential health complications and other things such as twins etc when we have a girl and a boy who are both healthy. He'll say it's still hard and stressful with the children we've got so why would we add to that. He'll say, we're in a good position financially right now and is it fair for our existing children to have to miss out because we bring another one into the mix.
And he's right in lots of ways...logically speaking. But having children isn't logical is it?! So...what can I say that might help to change his thinking and change his mind? Or, do I have to accept that it's not going to happen, get over it so to speak and concentrate on the two amazing children that we have, even if I might regret it deep down for the rest of my life?

Hi :) I don’t think you sound crazy at all! I said something similar to a friend of mine this week... the other day I had all three kids around me and for a second I had this feeling that someone was “missing” and I wanted to “go check” on them... then realised : nope no one else (at the moment) to go check on. I would simply tell hubby (if I were you), how important it is to you to have one more child. I told MY husband that it’s more important to me (my heart) to have one more, than it is to him to not have another. Plus the ‘baby stage’ flies past so fast, and you will have two lovely big helpers this time around. And one day (soon enough) when they are all grown up...then you will have one more lovely child to come visit and phone and ultimately enrich your lives. And what a gift another sibling is to give to your kids.

Remove that coil and go for it!!

Hi :) I don’t think you sound crazy at all! I said something similar to a friend of mine this week... the other day I had all three kids around me and for a second I had this feeling that someone was “missing” and I wanted to “go check” on them... then realised : nope no one else (at the moment) to go check on. I would simply tell hubby (if I were you), how important it is to you to have one more child. I told MY husband that it’s more important to me (my heart) to have one more, than it is to him to not have another. Plus the ‘baby stage’ flies past so fast, and you will have two lovely big helpers this time around. And one day (soon enough) when they are all grown up...then you will have one more lovely child to come visit and phone and ultimately enrich your lives. And what a gift another sibling is to give to your kids.

Remove that coil and go for it!!

Ah thank you StrawBerry! I just had the biggest smile on my face imagining a third child to visit and speak to in the future and imagining my current 'babies' looking after and loving their baby sibling ❤️
I did actually speak to him briefly a couple of nights ago but we had both had a few drinks so probably wasn't the best time. Anyway, he didn't dismiss it completely but he wants to leave it two weeks and then have a proper conversation about it...so fingers crossed!

Wondering about no 4 myself. We have a 10 (next week) 6 (7 in 2 months) & 6 month old.
I used to say I wanted 4 before any kids, but open to comprise lol, a big family but cautious about money/practicalities.
In my recent experience if another baby is something you’ve been thinking of for some time, either on & off or constantly & youve genuinely tried to move on (if your unsure) without success then nothing will take that longing away except going for it.

I drove myself to fairly bad anxiety trying to make the decision for number 3. For 2 yrs, it just got worse & worse & me & Hubby talked & talked with different outcomes each time! I just couldn’t make a decision/was scared of what 3 would be like and I think it made me abit unwell.
I’m much better after we went for it & now 6 months in, some habits from the anxiety remain mildly but I’m 99% better, I’m hoping the 1% will follow in time.

There is obviously a point where you have to draw a line depending on finance & practical reasons but if they were totally not manageable somehow, you prob wouldn’t be considering it anyway.
I thought a 3rd would be really hard with space, the car etc but we fit in the car, the house is just big enough- 3 bedrooms the 2 big boys share & were about to line youngest to his room soon. Thinking about splitting the bigger room into 2 so they can have their own room. I’m not sure how 4 would go with that! But we’ve been considering an extension for years so maybe that’s what would happen.

I wish I’d of gone for it abit sooner so there wasn’t such a gap, hence a 4th being in the back of my mind. I’m ok for now though but next yr is when I’d really have to be decided by. We’re at the wait & see how we feel stage but on a much smaller time scale as were now mid 30’s- which wasn’t in the ‘plan’ but I’m learning things rarely go to plan anyway!
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->