Traditional weaning V BLW

After reading from when i posted I still have no idea what I am goind to do!!

I do have some concerns about BLW so maybe some of you girls can help me! :D

Firstly, I am a VERY fussy eater and often cook 2 different meals for Shaun and I. If I were BLW, i'm thinking this would be seen as a problem? I have and am constantly trying to address my dislike for lots of foods by trying them but I cannot get away from the fact that I don't like them!! I do not eat ANY vegetables (well apart potatos and raw carrots!). If your cooking your OH foods that are healthy then you could just give LO the same?

Secondly, if you offer your LOs exactly what you are eating, if they choose to leave all the "good" stuff and always choose the more unhealthy option, does that just continue and its been their choice to choose that? The whole part of BLW is that you improve your own diet so it's healthy, therefore LO has no unhealthy food there to choose

Thirdly (and I think lastly, lol), how long did it take your LO to actually do anything with the food? I have subconsciously been offering Imi bits of fruit etc as i eat them for sometime but she NEVER puts them in her mouth, yet if she has a toy, dolly, teething ring etc it goes straight in! Halen started putting food into his mouth when we started BLW at a week before 6mo, it can take some babies months to actually put the food in their mouths, then longer still for them to be actually eating it, but the starter point of BLW is to let them play and explore then eventually work out for themselves that food is there to sustain them

O and 1 more, does BLW always involve being at a table (this seems to be my impression)? The only reason I ask is that we don't have one! We have a breakfast bar which we eat alot of food at but it is not the comfiest place to sit so we sometimes just sit on the sofa or on the floor in the front room (if we have tacos or fajitas or such like as its virtually impossible at the breakfast bar!)! we don't have a table, Halen's high chair just faces us in the living room with a shower curtain underneath for a mess mat

Thanks ladies :D

You know is pretty scary because that is probably what id look like if i gained 10 stone :lol:

I know this is off the topic (again!) but I can't help thinking about this (and I have been thinking about it for days)...does anyone else find this offensive? Adding a picture of an overweight person to their post and making jokes about how 'scary' it is. Being a cuddly girl myself who probably does look a bit more like the girl in the picture than the OP I can't help but feel a bit uncomfortable about this and a bit disappointed that a forum such as this has been reduced to fat jokes.
Anyone else or me just being over sensitive?

:rolleyes:

Read things properly before making assumptions

You know is pretty scary because that is probably what id look like if i gained 10 stone :lol:

I know this is off the topic (again!) but I can't help thinking about this (and I have been thinking about it for days)...does anyone else find this offensive? Adding a picture of an overweight person to their post and making jokes about how 'scary' it is. Being a cuddly girl myself who probably does look a bit more like the girl in the picture than the OP I can't help but feel a bit uncomfortable about this and a bit disappointed that a forum such as this has been reduced to fat jokes.

She just jealous of ya luvveh ;) lmao

The bottom line is you have an obviously overweight woman in a bikini in a sexy pose as your avatar because you think it is funny, right? I don't think I have read that incorrectly?
I have suffered from eating disorders and body image issues my whole life. I personally find this mentality offensive, cruel and quite sad to be honest.
As a moderator polo_princess you have repeatedly told people to be respectful to each other. I made the brave decision to comment about something I personally thought was insensitive and disrespectful.
I apologise for getting the thread off track and posting this here. I hope we can get back to the business of discussing weaning.

The bottom line is you have an obviously overweight woman in a bikini in a sexy pose as your avatar because you think it is funny, right? I don't think I have read that incorrectly?
I have suffered from eating disorders and body image issues my whole life. I personally find this mentality offensive, cruel and quite sad to be honest.
As a moderator polo_princess you have repeatedly told people to be respectful to each other. I made the brave decision to comment about something I personally thought was insensitive and disrespectful.
I apologise for getting the thread off track and posting this here. I hope we can get back to the business of discussing weaning.

You still haven't got it have you :dohh:

Polo used to do some modelling, the woman in the picture looks like her, she is meerly saying that if she put on 10 stone she would look exactly like her which is scary that someone could find a pic so close looking to her without being her

ETA: I am overweight in fact I am almost obese and I have not took offense to the picture as I know what it was all about!

I don't blame cheeselover for being offended actually - if there's an 'in joke' behind the picture that only a few people know about, then it's going to be open to misinterpretation, isn't it?

I don't blame cheeselover for being offended actually - if there's an 'in joke' behind the picture that only a few people know about, then it's going to be open to misinterpretation, isn't it?

There is no 'in joke' behind it. Holly has pictures posted all over of her so people know what she looks like, she usually has them in her avatar too so people who actually paid attention would see that she does look like the new pic, its harmelss get over it :shrug:

Woah Polo's avatar is not a hey lets laugh at overweight people!
Firstly PP did not put the avatar there herself, there is a thread over in GC titled Help which explains it all

Secondly her original post has been taken out of context as Caitlins mummy said, she was not making a joke as such she was making an obsevation.

There isn't an "in Joke" as it has been explained in here and another thread.

Thirdly this could have been taken to PM.

Can we please take this thread back on topic?

RIGHT CAN WE PLEASE ALL STOP ARGUING ON MY THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:growlmad:

Sorry Golcarlilly but im going to have my say, i will not be branded a bitch just because someone is taking what i said the complete wrong way without getting their facts right first ... if you were offended why could you not have pm'd me privatley and discussed it? No ... you just wanted to make a big song and dance about it without knowing the full story. Dont sit there and make me out to be a bitch who takes the piss out of fat people, if you stopped and looked around the forum youd see that i actually started a massive thread for inspiration and support for women dieting, now why would i do that if i thought it was funny to rip into overwright people? :rolleyes:

And Claire, open your eyes there is a huge thread in General chat explaining about the avatars so theres no "in" joke

If anyones got a problem stop ruining Golcarlillys thread and pm me if you must

Well said Holly

seriosuly lighten up people lol and big hugs

I find this thread so interesting. I havnt really done baby led weaning but aidan eats finger foods I mean now he is eating boiled egg with soldiers

I love watching his face and poking the bread on the soggy bit :cloud9:
xx

ooow boilied egg and soldiers! i want that right now :)

i'm a bit scared of Kian trying something like that yet incase he stuffs the whole thing in there...shell and all! at the moment most things r getting stuffed in whole...and sometimes more that one thing at a time!

theres always one who will make a comment on a thread that has nothing what so ever to do with the op.

alot of ppl are interested in weaning ideas and its good to have a thread that states the two main ways.

and as for polos avatar i think its sexy, no one wud find a problem with it if holly herself was overweight and found a picture of a skinny woman that shed look like if she lost weight and had that up. some people need to get a grip me thinks

Ok I have succumbed to baby pressure and Myles has had some finger foods!!! yesterday he had a peice of pear and today he had some cucumber, he is just so fascinated by us eating now and even when he has had his own dinner he keeps reaching out for ours! I cut them into wedges about 2 inches long by and inch wide and he just held them and sucked them, he managed to bite a bit of the pear though which worried me (i got it out of his mouth and re-trimmed the chunk) I still think he is too young to be having finger food really, are these pieces the right size?

the sound about the right size. zane loves cucumber especialy at 5 months due to teething.

i also gave him rusks as finger food to get him used to chewing and he started eating them fast lol

good luck

Mango is another good one to try for them, Brooke loved that!!

Ok I have succumbed to baby pressure and Myles has had some finger foods!!! yesterday he had a peice of pear and today he had some cucumber, he is just so fascinated by us eating now and even when he has had his own dinner he keeps reaching out for ours! I cut them into wedges about 2 inches long by and inch wide and he just held them and sucked them, he managed to bite a bit of the pear though which worried me (i got it out of his mouth and re-trimmed the chunk) I still think he is too young to be having finger food really, are these pieces the right size?

lol i succumbed to baby pressure too and started BLW earlier than planned...Kian kept grabbing my food so in the end i let him have some :shrug: kian met all the milestones in the BLW book like sitting unaided, not having the tongue thrust reflex, having the motor skills to get the food in his mouth etc. i don't believe that at 6 months exactly babies wake up 'ready' for food. i believe that it is a gradual development which tends to happen by 6 months but i think that will vary slightly from child to child so some might b ready a few weeks earlier some might not b ready til way after 6 months...and the good thing abt BLW IMO is that if they r not ready then they will not be ableto eat/ will not eat so i feel more comfortable starting slightly earlier with BLW.

size wise i'd jusge it by how ur LO seems to b coping...Kian finds long thin shapes easiest to pick up and he seems to find apples cut in half easier than apples cut into slices.

don't worry abt taking too much at first...Kian stuffed half a banana in his mouth once, gagged and was sick everywhere but its all part of the learning experience. I think: don't offer little bits that they wont b able to control at first- chunky shapes r easier, cut things like grapes in half coz other wise they'll just slip straight down and don't offer things like nuts. U can also try coating slippery foods in babyrice or something to make it more grippy.

I might sound like a complete idiot here but what is baby led weaning? I started weaning Grace on pureed foods but she also had finger foods like organix biscuits or little bits of what I was eating...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->