Traditional weaning V BLW

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what people say on this thread ist where the baby eats everything then selves and there is no spoon feedind involved

You did TW hun :D]
xx

Megan has been having breadsticks for months now - Id have piddled my pants giving Caitlin them as my first born :blush: She has no teeth yet she is eatting by hand loads of what Caitlin does ...yesterday I think it was she had chicken nuggets and mini oven potatoes haha She LOVES eatting with her sister so will have dairylea sarnies waffles and things like that on the lighter meal times and is having toast daily and things in general like shredded chicken steamed veg pasta etc !

I cut toast into more squares than strips so she can eat them properly.

She does also have stage 2 foods (hipp) but one meal is solid she sits and eats herself and one is as mentioned.

Someone on here once told me to cut toast and sandwiches into triangles because its easier for them to handle and eat and i found it worked.

Even though i didnt do BLW, i did and do keep one meal a day to finger foods only, it did scare me a little at first because Brooke didnt get any teeth at all until gone 11 months but they just gum it to death :lol:

i give ella one meal a day sitting at the table with us with finger food! I was sooo scared when i first gave ella finger foods but even if she bites off a big bit and cant cope with it she just spits it out, lets it get soggy and tries again (gross). They have a very strong gag reflex so after the first few times its not so scary!

I would say i did a bit of both, she had purees but also had lots of finger foods! :)

xx

See this is what scares me about it, as Claire shoves everything in her mouth and she doesn't have barely any teeth yet! :haha: Just her top two front, and now her bottom left front tooth.

I'm SO scared of her chocking. I see kids younger than her being able to feed themselves, but I'm still such a chicken about it. :haha: I might try to cut the toast into triangles like Holly suggested, maybe then it'll force her to chew a bit?

triangles for sandwiches are a very good size! We still do this with Hannah though she's got most of her teeth

... kian met all the milestones in the BLW book like sitting unaided, not having the tongue thrust reflex, having the motor skills to get the food in his mouth etc. ... QUOTE]

Hi Purplesocks, would you be able to clarify the sitting unaided bit for me please? Your LO is 5.5 months and can actually sit on his own without any assistance? or he can support his upper body only?

I'm a bit confused on this one as my LO can sit well with me holding his lower body but if I was to put him on the floor then he would just slump forward!!

I know this is part of the criteria for weaning and although I don't intend to wean for a few more weeks, I can't imagine my LO being able to sit up on his own by that time? Yes if he was in a highchair and supported correctly, but not actually on his own?

Thanks!

we did a bit of both, started on puree and quickley progressed onto finger foods, mainly soft fruits to start with.

daisy didnt get teeth til quite late on but she still managed everything!

Babies have a really good gag reflex so if they were to shove too much in they would just bring it all back up and spit it out , nice eh! :D

I would say I probably did a bit of both too. I wouldn't say I conformed (or wanted to for that matter) just the one type of method because things didnt progress that way.

I started Ben on Baby rice early through HV advice and he took to it like a duck to water, infact he eats anything and everything he can get his hands on. ATM he eats 1 - 2 meals a day that are finger foods and if it isnt then he starts off with something from a bowl and then possibly have an orange or banana and finish with a breadstick/biscuit etc..

I just let things progress naturally, offering things from a spoon like bolognase, soup, scrambled egg and then whenever I wanted to introduce something else like a boiled egg, broccoli, celery, sweetcorn just let him loose on it to see his reaction...

Hope this helps with your opening question hun, whatever you decide go with your instincts and the flow and don't be worried about doing a combination of the methods :)

xx

zane took to baby rice really well too, i started him at 4 months.

he eat purees for a month but then wudnt eat food with lumps in it unless he was feeding himself so we went from there.

i didnt feel pressure to do certain things i just went with what zane wanted

See this is what scares me about it, as Claire shoves everything in her mouth and she doesn't have barely any teeth yet! :haha: Just her top two front, and now her bottom left front tooth.

I'm SO scared of her chocking. I see kids younger than her being able to feed themselves, but I'm still such a chicken about it. :haha: I might try to cut the toast into triangles like Holly suggested, maybe then it'll force her to chew a bit?

I wouldn't worry about the lack of teeth - I think it was someone on here who said ..just put your finger in their mouth and see how hard they can bite with just gums - they are pretty strong biters!
Obviously no one is going to give a baby something that requires proper teeth chewing, but most things will 'crunch' in a babies mouth perfectly well.

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing this Lottie86. It sounds like Findlay has come a long way and is making great progress with eating. It must be heartbreaking to see him upset.

I thought you might me interested in this https://www.munchkin.com/products/detail.html?pID=37 It's similar to the one you've been recommended, but wasn't as expensive. I think it was only £2 or £3 from Asda. We picked one up for Lucy when we were back in the UK- not sure if we'll use it, but as we live in Germany some baby products are hard to come by. We're just starting to do BLW, but I picked this in case we needed it (I have a stockpiling habit!)

The best of luck to you and I hope Findlay begins to enjoy food in his mouth.:hugs:

Thanks ever so much for the link!

Yes it is such an enormous step for him just putting the ricecake in his mouth.

It does make me sad to see people arguing so much over whether traditional or BLW is best. Some of us would just be happy to have a baby who didn't associate food with agonising pain and would therefore eat. I'd give anything to be able to sit and decide whether to traditional wean or BLW Findlay.

It does make me sad to see people arguing so much over whether traditional or BLW is best. Some of us would just be happy to have a baby who didn't associate food with agonising pain and would therefore eat. I'd give anything to be able to sit and decide whether to traditional wean or BLW Findlay.

Very good point, hun. :hugs:

I hate the assumption that bottlefed babies are always on a scedule too. Just cause the arsehole down the road is a poor parent and does shit like that doesn't mean everyone does.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?? I have always bottle fed to a schedule because my baby has NO hunger cues so never 'asks' for a bottle, ever. So I have always offered milk at scheduled times. Is doing that 'shit', making me a 'poor parent' and an 'arsehole'??

That is actually the nastiest thing I have ever seen written on BnB.

I havent been on this thread since then as I have been working and didnt have time.

Im sorry you took my post the wrong way. My comment was in referance to the assumption by alot of breastfeeding moms that bottlefed babies are forced onto a schedule and not allowed to eat when they are hungry etc, subjected to bottle proping and not being cuddled enough because they are bottlefed and not bf.

I suppose I should have explained it better... However, I promise you THAT is not the nastiest thing thats been said on BNB in regards to parenting choices.

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing this Lottie86. It sounds like Findlay has come a long way and is making great progress with eating. It must be heartbreaking to see him upset.

I thought you might me interested in this https://www.munchkin.com/products/detail.html?pID=37 It's similar to the one you've been recommended, but wasn't as expensive. I think it was only £2 or £3 from Asda. We picked one up for Lucy when we were back in the UK- not sure if we'll use it, but as we live in Germany some baby products are hard to come by. We're just starting to do BLW, but I picked this in case we needed it (I have a stockpiling habit!)

The best of luck to you and I hope Findlay begins to enjoy food in his mouth.:hugs:

You're welcome! Would love to hear how you and Findlay get on, feel free to PM me. :)

I might sound like a complete idiot here but what is baby led weaning? I started weaning Grace on pureed foods but she also had finger foods like organix biscuits or little bits of what I was eating...

Without going in to way too much detail.... Here's a link explaining the basic idea.

It's a bit more involved than that though IMO and one of the biggest things not mentioned in that article is that there is no praise/punishment associated with food at all as babies do what's expected of them. So if you praise them for eating "well" then you'll confuse them because that's what they think they should do - iygwim?

And as to whether LO needs to sit unaided to do BLW, no, they don't. They do, however, need to be able to sit well - whether that's with support or not.

I hate the assumption that bottlefed babies are always on a scedule too. Just cause the arsehole down the road is a poor parent and does shit like that doesn't mean everyone does.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?? I have always bottle fed to a schedule because my baby has NO hunger cues so never 'asks' for a bottle, ever. So I have always offered milk at scheduled times. Is doing that 'shit', making me a 'poor parent' and an 'arsehole'??

That is actually the nastiest thing I have ever seen written on BnB.

I havent been on this thread since then as I have been working and didnt have time.

Im sorry you took my post the wrong way. My comment was in referance to the assumption by alot of breastfeeding moms that bottlefed babies are forced onto a schedule and not allowed to eat when they are hungry etc, subjected to bottle proping and not being cuddled enough because they are bottlefed and not bf.

I suppose I should have explained it better... However, I promise you THAT is not the nastiest thing thats been said on BNB in regards to parenting choices.

Thanks for explaining what you meant, I'm sure you can see why I and others took it that way though, it was a pretty big sweeping statement you made!

i no mums who bf and none of them have ever thought that bottlefed babies are not allowed to eat when hungery.

myself i always fed zane by demand i did start off bf but wasnt able to continue so from day 1 being on bottles he cried for it he got it. but then after awhile u do see a feeding pattern and then zane wanted a bottle every 3 hours so i made one at that time altho if he cried for one sooner its not like i made him wait

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->