TTC #1 -- Need a buddy!

Well I've decided to test on saturday anyway, but I'm definitely expecting a BFN. It just didn't really work so great this time I think! Perhaps next month will be our month!!! lol.

Sideways 8, I too think it sounds rather OTT to require everyone who comes in contact with bubs to have a flu shot!? I mean, the flu shot doesn't even stop all the strains in the *slightest*, and TBH if they ever want to take bub out into public they're gonna have to get over their phobia of germs... I mean there's stuff in the AIR, even from the hospital to the car for goodness sake! You're not being weird, THEY are!!

That's what I was thinking too, that the flu shot only covers 1 or maybe a couple more strains of the flu, and I also thought that even the flu shot itself can give you the flu?? I have an amazing immune system (not to brag too much hehe) as I never get sick. We wouldn't be traveling if we had the flu anyway. Ugh. I will see if I can get DH to protest just once, after that there's no sense in fighting it because like Harli said it's their choice as parents and I wouldn't want to be battled if I was making a decision about my kids regardless of how silly it was. Maybe I can require them to all get their MMR and DPT shots updated when my little bundle of joy is delivered!! Pertussis is actually a slowly becoming a bigger threat these days unfortunately. But two wrongs don't make a right lol. You know what they say... bigger person and all...

pink mum - there's nothing to do but wait a few more days and test again, I'm afraid.

Sideways - Some people are very germophobic and especially paranoid about the Flu.

I don't get the shot, and agree with you that your in-laws are over-reacting however I don't think you'll be able to convince them out of it.

But they must realize that you can pick up flu germs from anywhere - door knobs, telephones, computer keyboards etc, so having you guys touch the baby won't make any difference (in fact you are likely cleaner than anything else!)

A coworker of mine had to get a flu shot against her will (doctor enforced it) because she lives with her sister's family including a 6mo old baby. But that baby was previously sick with another cold so if he got sick again it would be really bad, so that situation is a little more understandable.

Well to be perfectly honest about everything guys, I am really disappointed that I won't get to hold my nephew but it's not the end of the world. It just aligns with their other parenting techniques that I absolutely do not agree with. They are just "out there" anyway. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the opinions guys, I definitely needed some reassurance that I wasn't being totally irrational for not getting the shot.

Perhaps you should ask if you can hold him if you are wearing nitrile gloves and a biohazard face mask.

they might actually think you are serious and consider it..

;)

SM I thought about that actually!! LOL!!!
At the hospitals around here there are hand sanitizer pumps literally everywhere. I imagine it's the same where they live - Chicago area.

I find the hand sanitizer stuff weird actually - when I was in university (biochemistry) more than 5 years ago we learned that using all these antibiotics medications and anti-bacterial soaps etc were promoting the evolution of "Superbugs" like the drug resistant bacterias that are found in some hospitals.

So why are we still using this stuff? Soad and hot water are sufficient!

anyway, my DH loves hand sanitizer so to each their own!

I find the hand sanitizer stuff weird actually - when I was in university (biochemistry) more than 5 years ago we learned that using all these antibiotics medications and anti-bacterial soaps etc were promoting the evolution of "Superbugs" like the drug resistant bacterias that are found in some hospitals.

Right! I remember writing a paper for chemistry class about the same thing in
'99!

I do still carry the stuff in my purse because there are always situations where I want to de-germ but can't wash my hands. I actually try to stay mindful about not over sanitizing my house as well. I do use vinegar water alot which they say is a natural sanitizer, but i wonder if it has similar drawbacks to other antibacterial sanitizers? Either way I like that it's less chemically.

I know! I'm a chemist as well. I was just wondering if they were uncomfortable with my lack of vaccinations that the Purell would be suffice! :wacko:

I think vinegar water would be a better option than chemical hand sanitizers :)

Speaking of it though - I didn't know that you weren't supposed to use chemical cleaners when pregnant (though I'm sure I would have learned eventually) - it was only my pregnant sister being paranoid because she cleaned the bathroom with lysol that made me aware..

So now she's using only "natural" cleaners like vinegar water to clean everything :)

How is everyone today? It seems quiet in here!

I don't get the flu shot because I am allergic to it...Sideways, it's too bad that your family doesn't understand that as long as you don't have flu symptoms, haven't been exposed to someone who had flu, and you practice good hand hygiene, it is unlikely that flu will be transmitted. Also, as someone else said, you can still get flu even though you had the flu shot.
"People who contract influenza are most infective between the second and third days after infection. The amount of virus shed appears to correlate with fever, with higher amounts of virus shed when temperatures are highest. Children are much more infectious than adults and shed virus from just before they develop symptoms until two weeks after infection." (from wikipedia)

Hopefully some common sense can prevail with them!

hi, fine how r u rducky?how r u feeling today

I'm pretty good today. Going to work on the evening shift today (3pm to midnight). I've been working night shifts for the last 2 years (11pm-8am) so I'm feeling a bit nervous about readjusting to different shifts. I am a nurse in an emergency room, we are not allowed to work nights once pregnant.

pink mum, anything new happening with you? Symptoms?

ya i have nausea in the morning,now light headedness,af cramps on n off,neg bf

ok
i got u now.i thought u said that u r going for night shift.i misunderstood that

Good morning everyone. DH stood up for us last night but to no avail. We'll see how it goes. I don't want to beat a dead horse and if they don't want me to hold their baby then fine. I will do my best to just cross that bridge when we get there. I'm not going to argue with them although part of me wants to call them on their silliness and apparent ignorance (and the mom and dad both are college professors........) but there's no sense in arguing because I doubt they would listen to anything I had to say. I think they're just control freaks to be honest. DH mentioned that she showed up and raised hell at her soon-to-be-husband's bachelor party a while ago. To me that also exhibits signs of being a control freak! Agggghhhhh anyway hopefully I can just forget about this nonsense and try to suffer through the 3 days up there.

As far as me and the TTC stuff, I'm not feeling really optimistic this cycle. I still have some brownish CM, though not much at all and I wonder if it's IB or if it could be some old blood getting caught up in my CM. I don't know!! DH and I haven't :sex: in 4 days, part of me just wants to not worry about it and just relax, if AF shows up oh well. I've pretty much resigned myself to this :( But, I have a few more days before I'll test so we'll see.

So guys - another question I'll throw out there - have you all thought of any birth plans or anything like that? For me, the only thing I know so far is that there will be no elective c-section (only have one in the event of a true emergency), no episiotomy, only DH in there during delivery, no relatives in the waiting room before, during, and a little while after the delivery. And absolutely no house full of guests spending the night during the first few days we've brought Little One home.

I am hoping to avoid an epidural. I would like DH and maybe one other person at the birth. I'd like to stay active during labor....haven't thought much past this.

I am undecided on an epidural yet.... part of me wants drugs drugs drugs!! The other part of me hears all these horror stories of women suffering from back problems the rest of their lives....

I just realized how antisocial my birth plan sounds, lol. I just want some time for me and DH to bond before we pass him/her around like something at show-n-tell..

Good morning everyone. DH stood up for us last night but to no avail. We'll see how it goes. I don't want to beat a dead horse and if they don't want me to hold their baby then fine. I will do my best to just cross that bridge when we get there. I'm not going to argue with them although part of me wants to call them on their silliness and apparent ignorance (and the mom and dad both are college professors........) but there's no sense in arguing because I doubt they would listen to anything I had to say. I think they're just control freaks to be honest. DH mentioned that she showed up and raised hell at her soon-to-be-husband's bachelor party a while ago. To me that also exhibits signs of being a control freak! Agggghhhhh anyway hopefully I can just forget about this nonsense and try to suffer through the 3 days up there.

As far as me and the TTC stuff, I'm not feeling really optimistic this cycle. I still have some brownish CM, though not much at all and I wonder if it's IB or if it could be some old blood getting caught up in my CM. I don't know!! DH and I haven't :sex: in 4 days, part of me just wants to not worry about it and just relax, if AF shows up oh well. I've pretty much resigned myself to this :( But, I have a few more days before I'll test so we'll see.

So guys - another question I'll throw out there - have you all thought of any birth plans or anything like that? For me, the only thing I know so far is that there will be no elective c-section (only have one in the event of a true emergency), no episiotomy, only DH in there during delivery, no relatives in the waiting room before, during, and a little while after the delivery. And absolutely no house full of guests spending the night during the first few days we've brought Little One home.

I am sorry to hear that they are being so controlling about that situation. I could understand if you guys were already sick but if you guys are naturally healthy then whats the big deal? People are crazy in this world. Haha.
As for the birth plan, haven't thought of anything yet. All I know is I want DH and maybe my mom in the room while I have the baby. I don't mind people waiting to see it only cause DH's family has been wanting another baby in the family.

An update on the TTC process, no AF, my nipples are getting really sore and I have been really tired. I am getting nervous to test but still trying not to get my hopes up.

I found out that another friend of mine found out she was pregnant and I have to admit I am really jealous. :(

I am undecided on an epidural yet.... part of me wants drugs drugs drugs!! The other part of me hears all these horror stories of women suffering from back problems the rest of their lives....

I just realized how antisocial my birth plan sounds, lol. I just want some time for me and DH to bond before we pass him/her around like something at show-n-tell..

It's good to consider everything beforehand, but I figure you can't predict how the birth will go, so you never know what will end up happening (ie c-section, epidural etc)

But I agree, I wouldn't want everybody at the hospital - I want that time to be just me and DH.. Hopefully we won't even let them know until after the baby is born and settled!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->