TTC + alcohol - wot do ya think?

Jen Jen

TTC #1 after mc
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

What's your views on drinking when trying to conceive? A midwife of a pregnant friend of mine told her that your baby is most/highly protected from alcohol in the first few weeks. I've not been drinking at all while TTC however have a night out and am wondering whether to drink or drive........AF due 12th.

What do you all do?

xx

Hi do be honest I am not giving up alcohol until I get a BFP and then will have none. I have cut down though and I'd say two drinks on a night out would be maximum.

I wondered about this too. Have been told on here and saw on a couple of sites that drinking when TTC is off limits/only have a couple occasionally as it can reduce fertility.

My DH thinks I am being over the top to give up completly and I do wonder too. Know plenty of friends that did not give up anything until finding out they were pregnant and all was absolutley fine.

Guess its best to be fairly sensible,but have to live your life too whist trying!

I agree with Greta. I still have a drink...but not in excess to get drunk. Won't touch another drop as soon as I see my BFP.

I also agree with your friend's midwife - even my OB/GYN said the same thing...a child is highly protected/safe during the first few weeks of pregnancy and that alcohol would not effect them. So, yes I think it is safe to have a few every now and again but STOP once you get your BFP. I mean, TTC is stressful enough - why not have a drink? LOL

Just wanted to add why the baby isprotected, in case anyone wondered, lol!

The embryo doesnt get any of your blood via your bloodstream until week 5. Then it starts growing a placenta and connects to you by growing arteries and veins into the wall of your uterus. Before that the baby lives on what would have basically been your period :)

Just wanted to add why the baby isprotected, in case anyone wondered, lol!

The embryo doesnt get any of your blood via your bloodstream until week 5. Then it starts growing a placenta and connects to you by growing arteries and veins into the wall of your uterus. Before that the baby lives on what would have basically been your period :)

thats good to know!

my OH wants me to give it up totoally but we have made an agreement I would just drink if i get a :bfn: or when the :witch: is staying , just read him the above!

oh well if i we didnt av a drink now n again dont think we wudnt BD as much !! and i wud know wudnt i b4 i got a bfp, and besides we dont drink in 2ww, maybe once,if that !
dont think id be sane enough not to, think it gets my by!

I really don't think it would harm you to go out and have a drink. When you get pregnant, you're going to have 9 months without. I've been out a lot recently and am finding it hard to say no to going out when I know I'm not pregnant at the moment. However, after this weekend, I'm going to try and stop drinking (and smoking - still haven't given up!!). But then I'm out Thursday night so I know I'll have a drink.

People who drink still get pregnant, I'm not sure if it lessens your chances. Some say it does, some say it doesn't. My sister was always having her glass of wine up to when she got pregnant and so did my friend. Maybe it varies between people. However, I'm going to stop this month to see if it makes any difference.

well, the reason i know the above is because i got pg just before xmas and only found out jan 7. So you can imagine the horrible ideas and guilt i went through before my doc told me i was ok. I had my last drink the day i found out- well, had to celebrate :)and that was that. Never touched a drop after that ( just before 5 week mark). I have been assured by my doc and the hospital that my mc never had enything to do with me being a little bit merry at xmas :)

Whatever you decide to do- i think its wise to be sensible which im sure we all are anyway :) A drink now and then isnt gonna hurt. And then- depending on whether you're gonna breastfeed or not- your looking at quite a long time without any alcohol at all, lol! ( i have to say though i think when ttc a drink can sometimes be your best friend..but maybe thats just me, lol!)

Good luck everyone! :)

I didnt bother giving up untill i got the bfp. With all the time it took i gave up on "giving thigns up just in case"

Omi
i too had a mc in mar08 and conceived around xmas time n will tell u it prob wunt of been the drink as i didnt touch a drop over xmas..new yr, and found out was pg 7feb, and i mc, think excessive drinking will sffect ur chances, and of course excessive drinking thro pg will of course damage baby serverley,but the odd drink while ttc especially b4 O (if u are worried ) wud be fine :)

I havent given up drinking - I still get drunk occasionally... Once I get my :bfp:

i will give up... well mostly. I think the odd drink here and there cant hurt too much. We've got to have a little treat... :blush: Hey, Im honest... :rofl:

I'm enjoying a nice cold beer atm and am 4dpo. I don't think the human body is quite that fragile. Seriously. Enjoy life, I say! I'm not saying go out an get ripped, but 1-3 drinks (once or twice a cycle) isn't going to hurt anything, much less an embryo that wouldn't be using your blood supply yet anyway. When the BFP comes then no more drinky drinky. Otherwise, relax girls and live life.
P

i took a test before i went on holiday and got a bfn thought ok at least i can have a drink on my hols now, and i had quite a few drinks, never got drunk but consumed lots of wine, then went to a party and had quite a few even went jumping on a trampoline! then got back the next day and looked at the hpts and thought what the hell i still haven't come on why not just check and it was positive! i felt really guilty but my midwife has assured me it is fine, even tho i was a bit further along than 5 weeks, poss 7 weeks when i found out!

so in short i wouldn't worry about it! but haven't had a drink since (but had to tell lots of lies as to why im not!)

Omi: thanks so much for sharing and letting us know. I myself, was not too sure when the baby started feeding off of the bloodstream. Great info!

:hi: thanks for all ur comments :hugs: Well I ended up taking the car!

The thing with me is I am ur classic binge drinker - i drink to get drunk! so will be staying off the sauce completely for the time being.......I say that now but it's only month 2 of TTC! :laugh2: :winkwink:

:dust:

xx

Hi, I ttc'd for 2 years. For a long time I was very careful about everything I did. No alcohol around ovulation and 2ww, no coffee etc etc... well the month that I just thought "what the heck" I got my BFP. I think as long as you give up as soon as you know you're pregnant it's fine. I was never a heavy drinker though, I think if you drink a lot it's a different matter. I mean, I would maybe have 1-3 glasses of wine in the week and then 2-3 drinks on a saturday, but sometimes not that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->