TTC while breastfeeding - anyone else?

My daughter is nearly 13 months and pretty much 95% breastfed! And we cosleep which means she feeds every 2 hours.... Or 30 minutes last night!
I think I was quite lucky (or unlucky however you look at it) that my cycles returned at 6 months pp.

Wow and I keep telling myself the night feeding will come to an end soon lol... Maybe not! He goes down in his cot at night but ends up sleeping in with me after about 1am - just easier! So is she just not interested in solids? When would you push them a bit more? Just wondering cos I think DS could go a long time with just having mostly boob which I know is best for the first year but don't know what the guidelines are after that?

I see it as lucky to have cycles back early :)

She'd be 100% breastfed if she had her way! We started blw weaning at 6 months but she wasn't really interested properly until about 9 months. Even now she gets offered 3 meals and snacks but will usually only eat one "meal" and some snacks. Then she has milk at least 10 times in 24 hours!
I'm not too fussed yet as I think she's getting everything she needs from me and the little food she does eat.

My daughter is nearly 13 months and pretty much 95% breastfed! And we cosleep which means she feeds every 2 hours.... Or 30 minutes last night!
I think I was quite lucky (or unlucky however you look at it) that my cycles returned at 6 months pp.

I'm quite similar, but LO is 16 months and still breastfeeds alot! We bed share and he wakes up probably twice or maybe more during the night for a feed.

I got my periods back when he was 4 months which was a total shock and of course I felt unlucky at the time lol.

I made a mistake of going on the depo shot when he was 10 months and its stopped my periods, prior to that I always has a regular and normal cycle.

Do you know if its safe to take agnus castus whilst breast feeding and if it can help bring back my periods?

I'm quite similar, but LO is 16 months and still breastfeeds alot! We bed share and he wakes up probably twice or maybe more during the night for a feed.

I got my periods back when he was 4 months which was a total shock and of course I felt unlucky at the time lol.

I made a mistake of going on the depo shot when he was 10 months and its stopped my periods, prior to that I always has a regular and normal cycle.

Do you know if its safe to take agnus castus whilst breast feeding and if it can help bring back my periods?

Yep it's safe. I've taken it this cycle and been fine. Apparently it's sometimes used to help milk production!
I've read that it's helped a lot of people get their periods back so I guess it's worth a try :)

Thanks for the encouragement! What age gap do you have between your 2?[/QUOTE]

I have 25 months between my two xx

Hi Celesse, good luck with ttc no 3, we are ntnp right now :) xx

Wouldluvabub - my first pp cycle was light and only lasted for 1.5 days...got my next cycle 26 days later and it lasted for 3 days...now on cycle 5 and the last 3 have come between 26-37 days later and they lasts for 5-6 days. AF will probably become normal-ish for you soon :)

Oh, I'm on CD 16 now...took an ovulation test at around 9am...was lighter than it was yesterday..will probably take another one at around 7pm...DH just went to bed at 3:30pm, so it looks like we won't get to BD tonight either...and he says he's really sore :(

Wouldluvabub - my first pp cycle was light and only lasted for 1.5 days...got my next cycle 26 days later and it lasted for 3 days...now on cycle 5 and the last 3 have come between 26-37 days later and they lasts for 5-6 days. AF will probably become normal-ish for you soon :)

Thanks for your reply!! So do you know with those shorter AF's if you were ovulating or not?? I've heard a few different stories for people's post baby AF so now I'm feeling like what I'm experiencing is normal! A friend's seemed to stop after a day then the next day it's continued. My sister's seemed to stop after a day and then resumed after 3 days and now you that went for 1.5 days then you obviously had a cycle.. I just hope it was an AF rather then random bleed.. I want to really be able to try for number #2!! I was goin to temp to see if I ovulate but I'm getting woken up at random times so that's not really possible!! I guess I'll have to invest in some ovulation tests. I migh wait it out and just track what the cycle does first.

Oh, I'm on CD 16 now...took an ovulation test at around 9am...was lighter than it was yesterday..will probably take another one at around 7pm...DH just went to bed at 3:30pm, so it looks like we won't get to BD tonight either...and he says he's really sore :(

Boo!!! Go and jump on DH and wake him up!! :)

Hey girl, wondering if I can join?? I'm currently TTC #2. DS is 14 months now and he is still having a BF before bed. That's probably only been for week now though. I decided to put my foot down as I wanted to stop feeding but he is very persistent.. We both seem to be coping well with one feed now and I was really excited yesterday when my first AF finally arrived!! Much later then you ladies!! I'm currently really confused though as it seemed to stop that night!! I've had some spotting today.. Not sure if its actually AF though.. Can't wait for a cycle to be able to class myself as TTC!! I have PCOS which made me have very irregular cycles when TTC number #1. I'm hoping now that I'm 14 kg's down from the frist time my cycles might be a bit more regular!!

my first af was mch lighter and got heavier again each time! x

I'm not sure if I was ovulating...I just started taking ovulation tests 2 months ago :) It's now 11:30pm...DH is still asleep and DS just fell asleep (on me)...my son will only nap if he's being held and wakes up if I put him down...so I can't get any BD in tonight :( maybe I'll get lucky and ovulate tomorrow and hopefully DH will feel better. I hope to be pregnant by August. (DS 1st birthday) I have my annual OB/GYN appointment mid June though...so would love to be pregnant by then. lol.

I'm not sure if I was ovulating...I just started taking ovulation tests 2 months ago :) It's now 11:30pm...DH is still asleep and DS just fell asleep (on me)...my son will only nap if he's being held and wakes up if I put him down...so I can't get any BD in tonight :( maybe I'll get lucky and ovulate tomorrow and hopefully DH will feel better. I hope to be pregnant by August. (DS 1st birthday) I have my annual OB/GYN appointment mid June though...so would love to be pregnant by then. lol.

I'm also hoping to be pregnant by DS 1st birthday (September) although I hope I don't have to wait til then lol!

On CD14 now, opk still negative... :coffee:

Hi ladies. I'm not technically TTC until June, so I hope it's okay that I'm posting. I'm BF'ing my 8 month old. I've been using fertility friend for the past few months but not temping), and based on the day I got a positive OPK, that puts my luteal phase at only 11 days. I don't know a ton about it, but before I had my daughter it was abouit 14 days. Is 11 days too short to sustain a pregnancy? Is there anything you know of that helps to lengthen the LP?

Yes it's safe to take agnus castus while breastfeeding. It brought my period back after 2 months of taking it, and increased my milk supply at the same time, which was an added bonus!

I'm back to CD2 already :( AF arrived after a FOUR day luteal phase, which is just ridiculous. Gone out and bought some vitamin b6 to start taking as well as agnus castus, but with such a short LP I think I'd better get comfortable in the TTC forum, it's gonna be a long wait for us.... Hope the rest of you have better luck!

Hi ladies. I'm not technically TTC until June, so I hope it's okay that I'm posting. I'm BF'ing my 8 month old. I've been using fertility friend for the past few months but not temping), and based on the day I got a positive OPK, that puts my luteal phase at only 11 days. I don't know a ton about it, but before I had my daughter it was abouit 14 days. Is 11 days too short to sustain a pregnancy? Is there anything you know of that helps to lengthen the LP?

10 days is said to be the min length needed. I conceived my dd on a 10/11 day LP...not ideal but doable. taking b6 I think can help x

Hi everyone! My DD will be 16 months on the 18th and I finally just got AF back yesterday! Wahoo! After two years of no AF, I am so happy so I will be able to TTC again. My husband has been wanting to try for a while so we are ready to go! I'm so happy I wont have to stop feeding my DD since she is not ready to stop at all yet.

I need to track down my B6 supplies and check they are still in date. I think my LP was 11/12 days but longer would be useful. My BFP's have both been 11dpo and implantation bleeds at 9dpo.

I'm getting nervous about this luteal phase thing... Anyone know how common it is for it to be too short while breastfeeding? I don't know how long mine is yet...

Haven't been here long but thought I should tell you ladies I'm leaving.. I unfortunately need to give up breastfeed for medical reason and continue to WTT... Really upset, but didn't want be rude by joining your group and then disappearing.. If you interested in my story I have a journal your able to follow, link is in my signature.. Thanks to those that gave me support and I hope you all get your BFP's soon!!

Hi ladies - I'm TTC while still nursing my 12 month old. She is down to just a couple nursings during the night and my cycle is slowly getting more normal. Last month I had an 11 day LP, up from 7 days. I have been taking B6 (which seemed to help immediately) and this month I am trying soy isoflavones (which I don't recommend if you are still nursing a lot, since it seems to have had a big effect on my supply).

I'm getting nervous about this luteal phase thing... Anyone know how common it is for it to be too short while breastfeeding? I don't know how long mine is yet...

https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/ Has some good info.

It's all very variable and differs form woman to woman. My understanding is that for most women the transition from not fertile to fertile is gradual and you will likely have cycles where you can't conceive and LP is short before being fully fertile.

The Kellymom article states
A very small percentage of women will become pregnant during their first postpartum ovulation, without having had a postpartum period. Per fertility researcher Alan S. McNeilly, this “is rare and in our experience is related to a rapid reduction in suckling input.”
This was true for me. I had no AF between babies, but I returned to work and night weaned DD within a space of 2 weeks representing a sudden reduction in nursing. This time I'm not at work so DS is still nursing a lot during the day and AF has returned with a suspected short LP.

Your LP should get longer as baby takes more solids and nurses less often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->