turning a breech baby any tips

becky77

mum & 3rd tri
Reaction score
Hi ladies hope your all feeling well and all ready for christmas . well i had my 32 wk mw app on monday and they think baby is breech , i have a growth and presentation scan on new years eve so will know for sure , but in the mean time any tips for turning a breech baby that you know to work as i really want a vbac this time as i have 5 year old twins to look after and take to school and it will be just so much easier if i can have a vbac instead of a c-section, dont get me wrong if i have to so be it but if i can help myself i will .:hugs:

Thanks for reading and in case i dont get chance again
Happy christmas and a wonderful Happy and healthy new year to you all xx

Sorry I cannot give you anything that has worked for me- my baby is still breech-has been all along. Do you know if baby has ever been head-down?? As baby can still turn up to 36/37wks.

I had the presentation scan yesterday to confirm baby is still breech - we have declined the manual turning so have appt with consultant next week at 37+4 to decide what we do now....:flower:

Walking around on all fours is supposed to do the trick - good luck :D

I spent time on all fours with my butt in the air and bouncing on the ball. The all-fours position was good - I would slowly rotate my hips and try and keep my butt higher by leaning on my elbows. I was frank breech all the way through until not long before bubs was born, then he turned in time for his early arrival. He was moving like crazy - soooo uncomfortable - then suddenly I felt kicking in my ribs/side and I knew he had shifted position. A scan to check showed he was head-down! Don't know if the stuff I was doing made a difference though - he could have just done it on his own!
xx
xx

crawling or being on all fours helps and only sitting when your knees are lower than your hips and leaning forwards rather than reclining backwards is ment to all help

Hi

I am in a similar position... I am 34.5 weeks and still breech (was breech at 28, 29, 32 and 34 weeks - have never been head down....). I have a growth scan next week (35 weeks): baby was measuring small and "rate of growth" was slowing AND to check his position (but since I can still feel his head nestled under my right-hand ribs...).

My hospital (one of the top hollistic hospitals in London) has given me a couple of hand outs to look at.

The first describes a "Mexican" routine of exercises to turn a breech baby - apparently 100% effective IF you stick to the routine:
- you need to commit 36 hours to it.
- over that 36 hours, whilst you are awake (you sleep as normal), alternate each of three exercises every two hours (so first two hours you do 20 minutes of the first exercise, second two hours you do 20 minutes of the second exercise, third two hours you do 20 minutes of the third exercise, fourth two hours you do 20 minutes of the first exercise etc.etc.). So you would get up one morning, start the exercises, do seven lots (every two hours over 14 hours), sleep for 10 hours, then do six lots (every two hoursfor the next 12 hours (14 + 10 + 12 = your 36 hours).
- first set of exercises is 20 minutes of crawling on your hands and knees (on a soft surface with padding/gloves on if you need it).
- second set of exercises is 20 minutes of being on all fours with your head resting on your forearms (on the floor) and your bottom in the air. This is supposed to tip the baby out of your pelvis.
- third set of exercises is 20 minutes of "pelvic bridge" (lie on the floor, put your feet flat on the floor and push your back off of the floor - so your knees are at right-angles, your shoulders and head are still ont he floor and your hips are higher than your head). You can use pillows to support your hips.

Sounds knackering! (20 minutes, every two hours, whilst you are awake - without fail). But the idea is to disorientate your baby with the intention of truning them from breech to normal "head down" presentation...

(very annoying that I can't find a web link to it... had to describe it all!).

I will be doing this on Christmas and Boxing Day (a rare chance to have all day in and to do these exercises...) :blush:

Will post this and type part two...

QT

So trying the Mexican exercises is my first port of call.

I have actually been very good during pregnancy: swimming twice a week, gym (including cat stretches etc) twice a week and pre-natal yoga each week - ALL of which are supposed to promote good "head down" fetal position :dohh: - so I am not very hopeful...

The next suggested steps (in this order) are:
- Acupuncture.
- Moxibustion (applies to an acupuncture point).
- Homeopathy (Pulsatilla 200 is one remedy used - usually prescribed over 4 days): you want to see a good Homeopath for that...
- Possibly an ECV (a serious medical procedure that needs to be done in hospital - my hospital does them after 37 weeks).
- failing that, planned C Section.

QT

Hi thanks for all the replies , baby has been head down and even transverse for a while and i think she alternates between breech and transverse a lot from the movements im getting anyway . I will try all your suggestions and let you know how it goes .
Qtpie i understood most of what you said thanks so will be interested to see how you go , am gonna try the crawling on hands and knees tomorrow so will update you .
Have my scan on new years eve so fx she is behaving her self xx

Since your baby has been moving around quite a bit (unlike my lazy lump of a little boy - just like his Daddy... :dohh: ), you may well be ok anyway :thumbup:

Will let you know how my exercises go - if I ever get back up off the floor AND depending how the scan goes next week.

QT

Thanks Qtpie i really hope she turns. That made me smile i have visions of you rolling round stuck on the floor . Good luck xx ;)

Thanks Qtpie i really hope she turns. That made me smile i have visions of you rolling round stuck on the floor . Good luck xx ;)

I will look like a Christmas turkey - stuck on my back... :winkwink:

Good luck :hugs:

QT

Just wanted to add - not tips, but another perspective... - one of the guys who works for my husband, his wife has twins (aged 5 now) and a 18 month old baby boy. We were talking about her births on Monday night (company Christmas party).

She was DETERMINED for natural births both times (she is a GP). The first time (twins) she ended up with an emergency C Section after a long labour (due to quote "her own bloody-mindedness"). Second time (twins were 3 and a half) she had to have a planned C Section because baby was tranverse.

She said that the second birth was brilliant: very relaxed, actually very enjoyable and she liked being able to plan everything. She took it easy and recovered well (especially after the much more relaxed planned C Section). Sometimes childcare can be easier to arrange when you know EXACTLY what is going to happen when... BUT it probably depends on what extra support you can get (from OH, family, friends etc).

Despite being a GP and DETERMINED to have "natural births", she was gushing about planned C Sections.... (the immediate recovery is often tougher, but the medium/longer term recovery is quite often better... but it differs from person to person).

Anyway, I am rambling... but what I am trying to say is that if you do end up with a planned C Section, it may not be a bad thing... (especially if the alternative is VBAC, which has a higher chance of ending up in emergency CS anyway).

QT

great tips. i'm hoping my lo has turned. i had loads of movement yesterday. it was exactly the same as the day he flipped, so fingers crossed.
i have a scan wednesday so will know more. xx

Just to post an update, I did do the "Mexican Baby Turning Exercises" over Christmas Day and Boxing Day (religiously, they were blooming uncomfortable :wacko: ) and they still didn't work :dohh:

So much for that, but at least I tried it...

QT

Hi

I am in a similar position... I am 34.5 weeks and still breech (was breech at 28, 29, 32 and 34 weeks - have never been head down....). I have a growth scan next week (35 weeks): baby was measuring small and "rate of growth" was slowing AND to check his position (but since I can still feel his head nestled under my right-hand ribs...).

My hospital (one of the top hollistic hospitals in London) has given me a couple of hand outs to look at.

The first describes a "Mexican" routine of exercises to turn a breech baby - apparently 100% effective IF you stick to the routine:
- over that 36 hours, whilst you are awake (you sleep as normal), alternate each of three exercises every two hours (so first two hours you do 20 minutes of the first exercise, second two hours you do 20 minutes of the second exercise, third two hours you do 20 minutes of the third exercise, fourth two hours you do 20 minutes of the first exercise etc.etc.). So you would get up one morning, start the exercises, do seven lots (every two hours over 14 hours), sleep for 10 hours, then do six lots (every two hoursfor the next 12 hours (14 + 10 + 12 = your 36 hours).
- first set of exercises is 20 minutes of crawling on your hands and knees (on a soft surface with padding/gloves on if you need it).
- second set of exercises is 20 minutes of being on all fours with your head resting on your forearms (on the floor) and your bottom in the air. This is supposed to tip the baby out of your pelvis.
- third set of exercises is 20 minutes of "pelvic bridge" (lie on the floor, put your feet flat on the floor and push your back off of the floor - so your knees are at right-angles, your shoulders and head are still ont he floor and your hips are higher than your head). You can use pillows to support your hips.

Sounds knackering! (20 minutes, every two hours, whilst you are awake - without fail). But the idea is to disorientate your baby with the intention of truning them from breech to normal "head down" presentation...

I will be doing this on Christmas and Boxing Day (a rare chance to have all day in and to do these exercises...) :blush:

QT

Just to post an update, I did do the "Mexican Baby Turning Exercises" over Christmas Day and Boxing Day (religiously, they were blooming uncomfortable :wacko: ) and they still didn't work :dohh:

So much for that, but at least I tried it...

QT

Hi

QT

Hi i was wondering how it went , well my lo has turned and is head down , think it happened a few days ago cos i did the lie on your back with cushions under your bum and legs on the sofa for 20 mins and also had a few baths and lay on my tummy no weight on it of course just hope she stays that way .Give it a go cant hurt and a nice bath is not hard work , really hope your lo flips for you .
Thanks for the update xx

QT I am going to try your exercise regime and stick to it strictly over the next couple of days!

We are going in for an ECV tuesday and fingers crossed it works - or even better hopefully baby turns in next few days before we go in!:flower:

Well done Becky77! :cloud9:

QT I am going to try your exercise regime and stick to it strictly over the next couple of days!

We are going in for an ECV tuesday and fingers crossed it works - or even better hopefully baby turns in next few days before we go in!:flower:

Ellie, you might hate me by the time you have done the second session of crawling... :nope:. The crawling was the worst... despite trying to find things to crawl on (and soften the impact on my knees as much as possible), they were still raw... :cry:. It was VERY hard work... :nope:

I can see how it WOULD work and, from what I can tell, my little boy did TRY to turn... (definitely increased movement as the hours of exercise ticked by...). I just think that he is physically stuck where he is (whether it is his position, my frame or my muscles holding him tightly in place now). He had a good go, but just couldn't turn... :nope:

Good luck with it and look at Becky's advice too. Let us know how it goes and, if you get that far, how the ECV goes too. Everything crossed for you :hugs:

QT

I have tried those exercises too QT and they are mega hard work! And I don't think they worked for me, unless my LO has a very very bony bum then his head is still firmly under my ribs xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->