TV

No, I've got rid of our TV, although they are allowed to watch a few carefully chosen DVDs very occasionally. I believe the negatives outweigh the positives unless you are extremely careful about their viewing.

How do they watch DVD's without a TV?

The TV is always on in the background here, Holly occasionally watches playhouse disney but the one thing she makes sure she turns to look at is the opening and closing credits to things! her little head always swings around to those!!!!

nicole used to luv formula 1 racing but not anymore. she luvs something for the weekend especially tim lovejoy and thinks simon rimmer is hilarious :shrug:

I'm a secondary school teacher and there were two kids a while back whose parents never let them watch TV and they always looked dead sad and left out when everyone else was talking about it. Freakonear, will you let your kids have tv when they're older? I'd hate to not have TV...wow how shallow do I sound haha x x

Sorry think I spelled your name wrong - stupid iPhone! freckleonear :haha: x x

No, I've got rid of our TV, although they are allowed to watch a few carefully chosen DVDs very occasionally. I believe the negatives outweigh the positives unless you are extremely careful about their viewing.

How do they watch DVD's without a TV?

The TV is always on in the background here, Holly occasionally watches playhouse disney but the one thing she makes sure she turns to look at is the opening and closing credits to things! her little head always swings around to those!!!!

She means TV service. I did the same thing at our house. We don't get any tv programming, but we do have a dvd player. Nothing worth watching anyway.

Oooh seity - same question then: will you let him watch it when he's older? x x

Ahhh Fin watches TV and he loves it. LIke feck are you a bad mother for allowing your baby a little TV time. He watches ITNG without fail every evening and the amount it's on in the day varies - We tend to have music on a lot instead or spend time outside or just playing etc etc. He's not really interested if it's not Waybuloo (WHY THE HELL DID THEY STOP PUTTING IT ON AT 6???), ITNG or Mr Bloom.

I think that, like everything, they assume that mothers cannot understand teh word "moderation". YES the TV being used as a "babysitter in the corner" all day everyday will likely have a negative impact. Will an hour a day? I highly doubt it. But then I pride myself on being very relaxed.

If nothing else it's just another thing that some (not ALL, SOME - don't lets get offended now) of the more "hippy" type mums can to do better than us mere mortals to feel superior about. Woooooooooop. Good job I'm not the type to feel inferior eh? :haha:

On a lighthearted note: Does anyone else see some of these topics (not the thread - I think it's a great thread) as a bit like those chain FB statuses. "Post this as your status otherwise a pideon will fly 2354 miles and peck your eye out before picking it up, flying 354645 miles in the opposite direction and feeding it to a unicorn and a rather worried squirrel". The likliness of that is about as likely as a lot of the 'negatives' that people link to the most common parenting methods. Anyone? Just me then. *SIGH* :haha:

xx

xxx

My TV is almost always on. Sometimes I'm watching it, and sometimes it's just on for background noise. If it catches Hana's eye and she starts watching it, I don't mind. I don't see what's wrong with it in moderation.

We have it on in the background but LO doesn't take too much notice of it except when the Ally commercial (the weightloss stuff) she finds that hilarious!!!

We don't have it on at all in the day when my son is awake as I don't like the idea of having something so stimulating in the background while we play. So we have nothing or we have music as background.
However, I have Waybuloo on series link and we do watch that most days. I basically just use that 20 mins either for when I am a bit exhausted and need a bit of sitting down time or when I need to cut his nails as it's the only way to have him sit still for a few minutes!

Pixie seems to like Rasta mouse :haha: we just have cbeebies on for her so that's all she see's

I havent read all the posts, but my oldest son who is almost 8 has always been allowed to watch tv and he is advanced....very advanced! Its not always about letting your kids sit and watch tv all day every day but about what you do other than that with your kids, its like anything else, in moderation, most things are ok. Sure, its not ideal to let your kids watch a ton of tv but sometimes its an easy way to get a break. I generally dont have cable in my house so its not like my kids watch a ton of tv but I dont see an issue with it. Charlie has never watched really but thats becasue i dont watch it. My cable is getting shut off anyway for the summer so Mason wont be watching either but when he comes home from school I dont mind him relaxing infront of the tube for awhile, hes been learning all day, sometimes its a nice break

Yes, once he's 2 then I'll allow him an hour or so of TV a day and increase that amount again as he gets older. We have Fraggle Rock on DVD and I'm sure he'll love the Muppets.

I just feel really strongly that TV, even in the background is not beneficial. I probably wouldn't bat an eye at someone else allowing under 20 min a day for an under 2 year old who's also getting lots of other interaction, but it's definitely not for us.

Yes, once he's 2 then I'll allow him an hour or so of TV a day and increase that amount again as he gets older. We have Fraggle Rock on DVD and I'm sure he'll love the Muppets.

I just feel really strongly that TV, even in the background is not beneficial. I probably wouldn't bat an eye at someone else allowing under 20 min a day for an under 2 year old who's also getting lots of other interaction, but it's definitely not for us.

I think that although some of us have the TV on in the background, our babies still get a hell of a lot of interaction. To be honest, our TV is on a fair few hours of the day but we only really actually watch it after LO has gone to bed.
I know you probably didn't mean it this way, but it does kind of imply that those who have TV on don't interact enough with their babies.

Oh dear. Does that mean you're fluttering your eyelashes at me like a female cartoon character? You FLIRT

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->