TV

My brother is single by the way... just in case anyone is interested in such a catch. Did I mention his lack of care for personal hygeine?

Everything in moderation. I think, as a teacher, tv is absolutely bloody fantastic now. On Cbeebies there is exceptional learning on it. My dd has picked up so much. She absolutely loves the cookery programmes [ she is 4 now] I have it on in the morning and then just before dinner time cause she is tired and irritates her brother otherwise. Its good quiet time and she really has picked up tons of learning from it. Dont feel bad. As long as they arent glued to it 24/7 i dont see any harm. The quality of the programmes are just outstanding now.

i will add this though, my LO will NOT be having a tv or game console or computer in his room. not till hes well into his teens.

my reasons are that I for one know of the dangers of meeting strangers from the internet. i got lucky when i decided to vanish at the age of 14 to meet up with a 19 year old guy i was "in love" with. he actually turned out to be a nice friend. but god forbid if he had been a pedophile i might not be here talking to you now.

I will be monitoring who my son talks to, what chat rooms he uses,a nd what games he plays. so the computer/games consol and tv will be int he family room where he can use it with supervision. (but not me over his shoulder every 2 minutes)

bedtime is for sleeping not sneaking the tv on and going to school exhausted.

thats just the way im going to do it because i feel thats appropriate. im not banning the item, it will jsut be in a room where we can keep an eye on what hes doing so we know the things and people he talks to are appropriate.

No, I've got rid of our TV, although they are allowed to watch a few carefully chosen DVDs very occasionally. I believe the negatives outweigh the positives unless you are extremely careful about their viewing.

^This. We can't afford tv service at our house anymore, but we used to, but my older boys watch tv at their dad's house. There are lots of great programes on now that they're older. I personally couldn't care less about watching.

My mother went overboard in getting away from the TV when I was younger. As I was the first child I was exposed to it casually and grew up with a normal relationship to television. I don't over indulge and I don't actively avoid it. I like a few shows and I can take it or leave it.
When my younger siblings were born TV was actively banned in our household. No TV, no tapes (because I'm old hey?), nothing. It may be anecdotal, but I believe that as a result my siblings aren't able to function normally around TV. If there is a TV or even computer monitor on in the room they can't do anything BUT watch it (and they are in their mid 20's now). When they came to visit us a few times (they lived at home, I lived with my husband because I'm older than they are by a bit as well) and were given free reign of the TV they would watch it 16+ hours a day, not bathing etc (until I yelled at them).
I'm just saying, be wary of going too far the other way. Not that anyone here would, because you ARE on the internet after all ;) (Computers were banned in our house too)

I get a little annoyed at OH as he turns the TV on a lot when it's his time to have the baby (when I'm doing something) and she kind of spaces out on it.
I like her to watch it if she's actively enjoying it (there are a few music videos and animated things she likes, all very short), but I don't like her to space out on it. :?

My mother went overboard in getting away from the TV when I was younger. As I was the first child I was exposed to it casually and grew up with a normal relationship to television. I don't over indulge and I don't actively avoid it. I like a few shows and I can take it or leave it.
When my younger siblings were born TV was actively banned in our household. No TV, no tapes (because I'm old hey?), nothing. It may be anecdotal, but I believe that as a result my siblings aren't able to function normally around TV. If there is a TV or even computer monitor on in the room they can't do anything BUT watch it (and they are in their mid 20's now). When they came to visit us a few times (they lived at home, I lived with my husband because I'm older than they are by a bit as well) and were given free reign of the TV they would watch it 16+ hours a day, not bathing etc (until I yelled at them).
I'm just saying, be wary of going too far the other way. Not that anyone here would, because you ARE on the internet after all ;) (Computers were banned in our house too)

I get a little annoyed at OH as he turns the TV on a lot when it's his time to have the baby (when I'm doing something) and she kind of spaces out on it.
I like her to watch it if she's actively enjoying it (there are a few music videos and animated things she likes, all very short), but I don't like her to space out on it. :?

You can't be that old if there were computers to be banned. The earliest days of home internet didn't exist until I was around 18.:rofl:

Well, we had computers in our house regularly from um...1982 or so. They were only banned by my mother from around 1986 onward (though I had one for school, with internet, in 1994, I was only allowed to use it after my siblings were asleep :p).

Lol, she banned computers pre-internet? That's really funny! What kind of trouble were you going to get into? Not like the computer games were that crazy in the '80's.:rofl:

Lol, she banned computers pre-internet? That's really funny! What kind of trouble were you going to get into? Not like the computer games were that crazy in the '80's.:rofl:

I don't know, Oregon Trail was pretty wild.
(Does anyone else remember that game? Or am I just old?)

This thread is making me want to go dust off my commodore 64 *wipes a misty tear from my eye*.

I remember the first time I used a computer, I was 5 so would have been around 1987. I had to save a file and couldn't do it, and swore to never touch a computer again. Now I am a qualitfied PC repair technician haha!

On the original subject of TV, I don't mind if Thomas watches now and then. He only likes to look at PS3 games anyway, the colourful things like LittleBigPlanet. not keen on TV shows.

My Uncle and his partner are 100% anti-tv with their toddler, but he has his own iPad.

This thread is making me want to go dust off my commodore 64 *wipes a misty tear from my eye*.

I remember the first time I used a computer, I was 5 so would have been around 1987. I had to save a file and couldn't do it, and swore to never touch a computer again. Now I am a qualitfied PC repair technician haha!

On the original subject of TV, I don't mind if Thomas watches now and then. He only likes to look at PS3 games anyway, the colourful things like LittleBigPlanet. not keen on TV shows.

My Uncle and his partner are 100% anti-tv with their toddler, but he has his own iPad.

:shock: :wacko: :dohh:

I don't know, Oregon Trail was pretty wild.
(Does anyone else remember that game? Or am I just old?)

Yay Oregon Trail!
I'm from the US and it apparently wasn't a big thing in NZ, so no one gets my 'You have died from Dysentery' jokes:haha:
And hey, King's Quest was complicated for 1985!

Nah, for my mum it wasn't about getting into trouble, she just didn't want us to stare at a box. She's not technologically savvy (that was my dad with the computers) so I'm pretty sure she though computer monitor somehow= TV.

:shock: :wacko: :dohh:

Crazy huh? He likes to look at google maps and apparently that is 'educational' as it teaches him geography...hmm

I don't have the tv on during the day. We always have some music on which the kids really seem to prefer. I even banned OH from playing L.A. Noire this week while the kids were around cause otherwise I'd have a house full of zombies! /tyrant

There's much better things for my babbies to enjoy, and plenty of time for the idiot box when they're older. I am not banning it though as that makes it a treat somehow, just fimding stuff that's more interesting.

As for computers, i've been attached to them since I was a baby and although I can see them as slightly anti-social they are an important part of life now and more of a choice than constant tv, My daughter isn't interested but maybe I passed the geek gene onto vinny.

Just to qualify what I said earlier, I will be heavily restricting TV until she's 2 (and maybe a bit longer) because that is an age where the brain is developing so quickly, I'd rather TV wasn't a factor in how that happens. There are various studies on it, which may not all be accurate, but none I have found suggest it is positive at such a young age. After 2, I think it can be beneficial if you pick your programmes carefully and watch together. That's what I plan to do.

As a side point of anecdotal evidence, I was brought up watching a lot of TV from an early age, and if there is a screen in the room now, I can't help but watch it That's why we had to get rid of the TV as I couldn't turn it off. Obviously, that's not going to be the same for everybody, but from my perspective, I wish my parents had controlled my viewing as a small child.

i will add this though, my LO will NOT be having a tv or game console or computer in his room. not till hes well into his teens.

bedtime is for sleeping not sneaking the tv on and going to school exhausted.

This!

My children will not be allowed a TV in their rooms until at least in their teens. I LOVE reading and I do put that down to the fact I had an early bedtime and would spend an hour or so reading most nights until I was ready to sleep. If I'd have had a TV - guaranteed that would have gone on instead!

We'll have a family computer in the office (with teh screen facing out so that it can be seen easily) that the children can use when needed. Laptops or PCs in bedrooms is SO dangerous I think. I'd imagine laptops would be a thing for a 16th birthday... but times change.

Games consoles - Again something for the lounge or games room. With limited use and making it a "family activity". I.E on a Friday evening "Let's play the Xbox for an hour... yayyyy" etc.

Everything in moderation.

It's all about the tape loading spectrum sinclair. I can hear the loading screech already! xx

[/QUOTE]

My children will not be allowed a TV in their rooms until at least in their teens. I LOVE reading and I do put that down to the fact I had an early bedtime and would spend an hour or so reading most nights until I was ready to sleep. If I'd have had a TV - guaranteed that would have gone on instead!

We'll have a family computer in the office (with teh screen facing out so that it can be seen easily) that the children can use when needed. Laptops or PCs in bedrooms is SO dangerous I think. I'd imagine laptops would be a thing for a 16th birthday... but times change.

[/QUOTE]

agreed ventura :thumbup:

def a terrible mum now after reading the new posts:

my son is 13, has a lcd tv in his room (small one, 28inch)he bought himself out of his birthday money), he has sky, xbox 360, dvd player (never used), mobile phone (pays for his own credit out of his pocket money) and a laptop.

Lou - Your 13 yr old has more gadgets than me and im 26. BAAAH-HUMBUG!

But if a kid had a ton of b-day/xmas money....we as parents cant REALLY tell them how to spend there own cash, so if they chose to buy a TV for there own room....Can we really object?!!!

i pay for sky but if he wants something else , eg wrestlemania then he HAS to give me the money for it. he buys his own games (all sports games), any other games he finds boring (strange child lol). his laptop is blocked for certain sites. the only programmes he watches on tv are sky sports, channel dave for top gear and only fools and horses, good food channel.

he only got a mobile phone last yr and hes a miserable sod lol he wont ring anyone off it and barely txts incase he uses his credit. again this he bought himself

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->