• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

wanted to add also..i knew its not strictlty TW but i gave rhys a piece of cucumber today and he sucked it for ages but after his hands got wet and the cucumber got slimey he got really aggrivated cos he couldnt hold it!! ive never had to wipe a cucumber before!! x

I gave Dylan a piece of cucumber the other day and he bit a bit off which promtly got stuck, and he ended up projectile vomiting to shift it :nope:. I was a bit scared - think I'd best get one of those feeder things.

What liquid do you all mix in your purees? At first we plan to mix cereals with EBM, but when we begin pureeing vegetables and freezing, should we mix with EBM or with water? What do you use?
We mix with formula - but that's because milk contains calories, and we're still having issues with getting Andrew to consume enough food/milk.

Just thought I'd share my new purchase with you all,

Erin's high chair:happydance: She's got to grow into it a bit though!

IMG_0337.jpg

I add formula to her cereal and water to any veggies/fruits when I blend them. I figured they would taste more like the non-blended version with just the water so easier transition from blended to pieces. :shrug:

Megan was on 1/2 jar of stage 1 in the beginning. You can keep in the fridge for a day or 2.... so she would start a jar for one meal & then finish it at a different meal. She does the same now for stage 2's. I usually have 3 open at a time and offer her a different one for breakfast, lunch, & dinner - then the next day she'll finish them. Gives her a variety & also helpful to space out things like carrots or bananas that make her constipated.

She had her first Gerber Wagon Wheels today. I swore I would never buy them... but I did. Always thought they were such a gimic. They are pretty hard - I didnt think they were easy to eat- but she did great with it. She ended up with quite a bit in her mouth & I was nervous but she kept chewing and then decided herself she had too much and spit a bit of it out on purpose. Cue relief from mom!

caleb has been having stage jars for about 3 weeks. He rarely has a full jar. I am trying to sort out a routine because he still has lots of milk and when it come to feeding him he isnt intersted.
He loves sweet potato and the pasta bolognes. I am going to start doing some portions for the freezer so he can have homemade stuff to xx
Caleb still seems tiny for his high chair and i cant have the straps over his arms because he decides he wants to eat them instead x

Hi Pink! Long time no chat!

Megan doesnt wear her shoulder straps anymore. She stopped fighting and protesting her highchair once I stopped using them. I still strap her in at the waist - but she likes to chew on those straps - as the end that sticks out is so long!

I love this thread! I'm glad I'm not the only one that is having problems though, don't feel quite so alone.
Abbie is 8 months (just)

At first (6 months) I gave her baby rice and/or porridge which she didn't like.
Swiftly moved onto parsnips carrots etc. all pureed.

At first she would ony eat if I gave a loaded spoon to her.
Now she's happy to be fed - which I don't have a problem with.
The problem I do have is lumps.

Sometimes she will eat bread/toast, new potatoes, pasta and other soft food without any problem as long as she only gets a little bit at a time.
But most of the time or if I give her more than one piece she gags then usually vomits - all quite effortlessly.

Up until now all food has been home-made but in frustration I bought some cow and gate mums own receipe jars (with lumps in).
I opened one and remembered why I wanted to make my own food. It smelt awful but thought we'll give it a go (my other 2 children loved the jars of food and I never had any problems feeding them).
She found a lump and promptly threw up.

So any ideas how I can get her to eat lumps and not throw up?
She is ironically quite happy to eat spaghetti "lumpy" in fact I can't get it into her quick enough!

I wish she was more like these BLW babies that are fine with lumps from scratch!

I love this thread! I'm glad I'm not the only one that is having problems though, don't feel quite so alone.
Abbie is 8 months (just)

At first (6 months) I gave her baby rice and/or porridge which she didn't like.
Swiftly moved onto parsnips carrots etc. all pureed.

At first she would ony eat if I gave a loaded spoon to her.
Now she's happy to be fed - which I don't have a problem with.
The problem I do have is lumps.

Sometimes she will eat bread/toast, new potatoes, pasta and other soft food without any problem as long as she only gets a little bit at a time.
But most of the time or if I give her more than one piece she gags then usually vomits - all quite effortlessly.

Up until now all food has been home-made but in frustration I bought some cow and gate mums own receipe jars (with lumps in).
I opened one and remembered why I wanted to make my own food. It smelt awful but thought we'll give it a go (my other 2 children loved the jars of food and I never had any problems feeding them).
She found a lump and promptly threw up.

So any ideas how I can get her to eat lumps and not throw up?
She is ironically quite happy to eat spaghetti "lumpy" in fact I can't get it into her quick enough!

I wish she was more like these BLW babies that are fine with lumps from scratch!

I'm having the same problems with Zach, but he wouldn't even eat finger foods! MY hv said to let him loose with foods so he can feel it etc and let him feed himself which i did do (photo a few pages back lol) now he will eat toast which he used to gag even when holding it! But he is still no good with lumps or even thicker purees! I think we have to just persist but dont force it! x

Thanks Beth!

I let her hold and play with food, the problem being she then puts it all in her mouth, churns it round a bit then tries to swallow it. Shortly after she gags and vomits.
If I give her smaller finger food she has problems holding it!

But you are right just keep plugging away at it! You don't see many teenagers still eating purees!!!
All very frustrating though!!

Thanks Beth!

I let her hold and play with food, the problem being she then puts it all in her mouth, churns it round a bit then tries to swallow it. Shortly after she gags and vomits.
If I give her smaller finger food she has problems holding it!

But you are right just keep plugging away at it! You don't see many teenagers still eating purees!!!
All very frustrating though!!

I wasn't worried about it until my HV said he should be eating finger foods and lumps i was quite relaxed about it but she said to try and sort it before it becomes a problem! Easier said than done!

I hate the look on his face when he is gagging its horrible seeing them like that! Every couple of days i'm just going to try him just to try and get him used to it! Let me know how you get on!

im going to make mini meals tomorrow. thinking of cauliflower cheeses to start! might make some for me 2! x

i cant wait to try rhys with fish and meat.

Omar loves chicken :) easy to chew. He's not so keen about meat & I didnt try fish yet. But he loves meat balls with his pasta. :happydance:

His favorite veggie so far is spinach. He was having lentil soup with bread then I gave him a taste frm my spinach. When I gave him a spoon of soup he spitted out & waved at my plate. He ate a full plate of spinach :happydance:

Chloe loves fish pie, I was a bit worried as the smell of fish made me feel really sick when I was pregnant so I was unsure if she would like it or not! Glad she does as OH and I are big fish fans :D

does anyone know where you can get those little feeders from? Really like the look of them and would be easier than pureeing everything up all the time. I couldnt find them on the asda website, anyone know if you can get them anywhere else? xx

Amazon has a range of the baby feeders (but probably more expensive than you can get elsewhere) :) I have seen them once on the shelves of our local Asda. I got mine from a friend, I think it's called a "munchkin" :D

My MIL got us the 'munchkin' one from ASDA, not sure why they not on the website. I'm not sure where else does them sorry :flower:

does anyone know where you can get those little feeders from? Really like the look of them and would be easier than pureeing everything up all the time. I couldnt find them on the asda website, anyone know if you can get them anywhere else? xx

Babies R Us do them ... they call them 'Bruin Safety First Feeders' and they are a really good price - out of stock on the website at the moment, but they might have them instore.
https://www.toysrus.co.uk/index.jsf...}/brand>{brands_brandbruin}&fh_start_index=10

Also some of the Asda ones are on Ebay
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NIP-Two-2-Mu...pt=UK_Baby_FeedingSets_RL&hash=item1e5c8d675a

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->