• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

For hard poos when eating solids Megans dr said to avoid ABC - apple, banana, carrots.... also yogurt can really bind them up as well.

P fruits help - peaches, pears, plums, prunes

For hard poos when eating solids Megans dr said to avoid ABC - apple, banana, carrots.... also yogurt can really bind them up as well.

P fruits help - peaches, pears, plums, prunes

Thats helpful thanks.

Lola is constipated and the main things she eats is apple & carrot!

Doesn't help that she won't drink water though. I made her drink more than normal yesterday and she was just sick :(

Might get some peach for her to suck on :thumbup:

Great thread....thanks Rhiannon :)

My LO is about 6 and half month and I've been weaning him since he was about 5 months. It was all going really well - he was loving all the pureed veggies and baby porridge etc.

2 weeks ago I started him on Wheetabix with cows milk for breakie. He loves it and eats that really well in the morning. For lunch and dinner I had been giving him pureed (with a little more lumps) veg and even introduced the Fruity Chicken recipe from Annabel Karmel book. This also went well.....

HOwever....the past week he has become really fussy! He's clamping his mouth shut before I can get the food to him - even before he's tasted any of it. He's now screaching at the top of his little lungs making all sorts of protests. It takes me ages to get him to eat something now - other than his breakfast which he loves, or mashed banana is another winner. I bought one of those Baby Safe feeder nets (from Tesco) but he's not even that interested in that. He loves to have bits of toast which he can pick up and chomp on himself so I thought the feeder nets would have been a winner.

I have a few theories about what's gone wrong - I just don't know how to fix it! We've been away and while I was away I bought some jars of food for convenience - he ate them fine so maybe he doesn't like the texture of my homemade food now? Also my friend gave him a couple of her LOs Petit Flous yoghut while we were away, and he'd wolf that down day/night if I let him - so has he become too accustomed to sweet things? Also, he's just got his 2nd tooth through - could that be altering things?!

Sorry for the essay! Just so relieved to see a TW thread on here :) Anyone got some ideas about how I can get my little boy back on to loving his food because he was doing so well with it until a week ago.

Andrew went off his solids when he was on steroids recently, and then when he came off the meds, he started teething. During the teething phase he was clamping his mouth shut, and protesting loudly at any attempt to be fed, so I gave up. Reassuringly, once the tooth was through (and then a second one!), he started taking to the solids okay - I just need to ramp him up to three meals a day again.

So give your LO a bit of breathing space - so long as he's getting his milk, that's still the primary source of calories. You don't want to inadvertantly turn feeding times into a big deal, that could put him off for longer.

:hug:

Thanks Marleysgirl :) I hope that it is just his mouth is sensitive because of the teeth. Here's hoping when this second one is through properly he gets back on track! I've really been trying to keep feeding light hearted, because as you say I don't want it to stress him (or me!) out.

I'm pleased this is now a sticky!:happydance:

We've had a good day today, Erin had a whole bowl of porridge for brekkie, and then for lunch she had 10 spoons of carrot, and she also mastered her sippy cup, and had a couple of oz of water, in between chewing it lol:happydance:

im going to need to try rhys with his sippy cup i think!! he had a whole jar of food yesterday and a whole pot of yoghurt. i was so shocked lol xx

I've decided to start cooking more for madam, I use jars wayyyy too much, cos I can just about chuck something in the oven for me let alone anyone else! Gonna attempt a cottage pie in the week :shrug:

Great thread....thanks Rhiannon :)

I have a few theories about what's gone wrong - I just don't know how to fix it! We've been away and while I was away I bought some jars of food for convenience - he ate them fine so maybe he doesn't like the texture of my homemade food now? Also my friend gave him a couple of her LOs Petit Flous yoghut while we were away, and he'd wolf that down day/night if I let him - so has he become too accustomed to sweet things? Also, he's just got his 2nd tooth through - could that be altering things?!

When we went on vacation I depended on jars. He hated all veggie ones & only had fruity jars. At 6.5 mnth I started introducing real food. He took it with no problems.

& u'r right about teething, it slows weaning abit as they usually refuse to eat or even take milk.

does anyone know where you can get those little feeders from? Really like the look of them and would be easier than pureeing everything up all the time. I couldnt find them on the asda website, anyone know if you can get them anywhere else? xx

Babies R Us do them ... they call them 'Bruin Safety First Feeders' and they are a really good price - out of stock on the website at the moment, but they might have them instore.
https://www.toysrus.co.uk/index.jsf...}/brand>{brands_brandbruin}&fh_start_index=10

Also some of the Asda ones are on Ebay
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NIP-Two-2-Mu...pt=UK_Baby_FeedingSets_RL&hash=item1e5c8d675a

Those toys r us ones say 12m+, do you think they'd be ok for 4months? x

Tescos sell them I think its the Direct ones as I havnt seen them in the normal ones yet though

I've decided to start cooking more for madam, I use jars wayyyy too much, cos I can just about chuck something in the oven for me let alone anyone else! Gonna attempt a cottage pie in the week :shrug:

Good luck with the cottage pie zoe :flower:

Just stumbled across this website....might be of some interest. I've already found some good ideas of different ways to cook the veggies for my LO.

https://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/6-to-9-month-baby.html

Much better day today - he managed to eat some pear+melon at lunch and then managed brocolli+cauli cheese for dinner :) Woohoo! Finally a "normal" eating day! Having said that he's really not wanting to go to sleep this evening....blasted teething pain :(

I think I may have a break through with this lumpy problem.
Abbie has eaten today a piece of pasta and a chip without vomiting or gagging.
For a few days shes been eating small bits of bread I break off for her too!

Also the last few days when I noticed that she's trying to gag I tell her not to start that again and she looks at me, grins and stops which got me wondering.
Can an 8 month old have bad habits?

Anyway progress is being made and I'm hopeful she won't the the worlds first teenager that eats only purees!!

Glad Abbies doing better!

Megan gagged on wagon wheels & watermelon in front of my mil & got her totally panicked which makes ME nervous even though it shouldnt. She'd been doing so good with finger foods. So this week I started slow again - but she's had no issues. Maybe its just when we arent at home?? Maybe she's more distracted vs. concentrating on whats in her mouth?

She's had a big appetite recently.

How much is your LO eating?

Omar gags when he's full. When I tell him to stop, he looks at me, smiles then goes again. He takes lumps with no problems but he established this bad habit even with non lumpy food. I dont knw why he doesnt close his mouth instead!

Well it was like a gag/choke she was coughing & turning red trying to get it out of her throat vs. looking like she wanted to puke it up. It was like she just was too distracted to remember to chew it well enough before trying to swallow it. :shrug: It was different from a gagginess over stuff with lumps that she does too when she's had enough. She had issue with watermelon before though too - so maybe she has a hard time swallowing that texture? The wagon wheels is more like a thick cracker type thing for babies & toddlers.

Well it was like a gag/choke she was coughing & turning red trying to get it out of her throat vs. looking like she wanted to puke it up. It was like she just was too distracted to remember to chew it well enough before trying to swallow it. :shrug: It was different from a gagginess over stuff with lumps that she does too when she's had enough. She had issue with watermelon before though too - so maybe she has a hard time swallowing that texture? The wagon wheels is more like a thick cracker type thing for babies & toddlers.

Omar also gags when he's distracted. He tries to talk to us when we'r eating, & he ends up forgetting to chew, & starts to gag then turns red. Sometime he needs help frm me to help him spit it out. Maybe she doesnt like the taste & she keeps it in her mouth instead of trying to chew it. :shrug:

rhys has started keeping the lumpier stuff in his mouth - i just keep giving it back to him until he swallows it which he does eventually. is this the wrong way to get him used to lumps? xx

If he eventually does swallow I would carry on doing what your doing :thumbup:

A quick question for those on stage 2, on lumpier foods. I'm mashing kacie's food up with a fork now, this probably sounds totally stupid, but can I freeze it? I've not made homemade food for Kacie before this week, so it's all abit new to me :haha: I am such a crap cook :( lol. Oh, and freezing bread, is that ok to use for her? Because I've always froze bread for me, I never get through a whole loaf before it goes mouldy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->