Unschooling?

Both mine went to a Montessori based preschool. It was really good. I am VERY VERY close to home schooling, I have asked for the info packs, had people out to talk to me and now I just need to make the move and think I will in the next 2 years. I have various reasons for doing this. My children both go to th best rated school in the area. Got "outstanding" in EVERY area from the Ofsted but yet I still dont feel right. I am not sure about my daughter but my son will definitely end up being home schooled.

The major problem I see in unschooling/homeschooling is that parents with extreme (religious) views might use this way of education to keep their children away from other points of views, be it religion or other issues. But that's just me.

Of course, if parents don't do the homeschooling very well, or don't give their unschooled children lots of opportunities to learn, then there might be much more problems.

Education, in my opinion, includes socializing with other kids, older and younger ones, as well as adults who give them instructions and a structure. There are many ways to do so when unschooling and homeschooling children, but also lots of ways to just use that kind of education for own (the parents') purposes.

Just curious, thanks. I am teacher so I don't think along the lines of unschooling for Emma but wondered what people do if it goes wrong/ isn't for the child.

After the age of about 7, I'd let Alice go to school if she really wanted to, and understood what it involved. I'd offer lots of alternatives before that though! What do you mean by went wrong?

I'm a teacher too, but have kind of sabotaged my career since looking into autonomous education as I've really lost faith in the whole system now!

By 'goes wrong' I was meaning a range of things- your child does not settle, the environment does not suit them, they wish to attend school, they have additional needs, your own situation changes, etc. Just basically that the experience of home/ unschooling does not work out as you envisioned.

The system here is a bit different to the English system. Although it is far from perfect there is considerably more freedom for the teacher to drive the curriculum. I trained in England but have taught in Scotland for the last 12 years. We have never had literacy/ numeracy hour. There are no SATs and although there are National Assessments they are taken when the teacher thinks the child is ready, within the normal day. The Curriculum for Excellence has not been without problem but the basics of it mean that the whole child is considered and teachers have flexibility rather than a closely prescribed curriculum. It will be interesting to see what happens a few years down the line with it.

Just curious, thanks. I am teacher so I don't think along the lines of unschooling for Emma but wondered what people do if it goes wrong/ isn't for the child.

After the age of about 7, I'd let Alice go to school if she really wanted to, and understood what it involved. I'd offer lots of alternatives before that though! What do you mean by went wrong?

I'm a teacher too, but have kind of sabotaged my career since looking into autonomous education as I've really lost faith in the whole system now!

By 'goes wrong' I was meaning a range of things- your child does not settle, the environment does not suit them, they wish to attend school, they have additional needs, your own situation changes, etc. Just basically that the experience of home/ unschooling does not work out as you envisioned.

The system here is a bit different to the English system. Although it is far from perfect there is considerably more freedom for the teacher to drive the curriculum. I trained in England but have taught in Scotland for the last 12 years. We have never had literacy/ numeracy hour. There are no SATs and although there are National Assessments they are taken when the teacher thinks the child is ready, within the normal day. The Curriculum for Excellence has not been without problem but the basics of it mean that the whole child is considered and teachers have flexibility rather than a closely prescribed curriculum. It will be interesting to see what happens a few years down the line with it.

How could a child 'not settle' or 'the environment not suit them' in their own home? I think they'd probably be more settled, it's where they've lived, where they've grown up. I don't really understand what you mean by those?

But the curriculum in Scotland seems a lot kinder and more forgiving than the one we have here, the micromanagement in England is almost terminal!

How could a child 'not settle' or 'the environment not suit them' in their own home? I think they'd probably be more settled, it's where they've lived, where they've grown up. I don't really understand what you mean by those?

But the curriculum in Scotland seems a lot kinder and more forgiving than the one we have here, the micromanagement in England is almost terminal!

While some children do not thrive in a school environment, I believe that it is just as possible that some children would not thrive in a home schooling environment. That's all. One size not fitting all. Not having a go at homeschooling, just asking what you would do if it does not turn out to be the best fit for your child. Was curious if people would go straight to mainstream school or if they would look for alternatives such as Steiner? What happens if your child needs the input of other professionals (speech therapy, etc)? I have worked with families who have accessed these services at home pre 5 but post 5 they have been solely based out of schools.

Of course you can adapt what you do, use approaches which suit learning styles (all things I do in my job I have to say but of course easier in a 1-1 or 2-1 situation) Some children do thrive best where there are tight routines and rules. Many of the posters I have read would seem to be favouring a more relaxed routine, going with the flow etc but what would you do if that approach was not working best for you child? Would you change to follow a timetable/rigid routine and would that be hard for you as your own approach to learning is quite different to that? For example, I know that for me kinaesthetic learners are more of a challenge as that is not my learning style so usimg that approach does not come naturally to me.

I feel as if you think I am criticising but I am not. I am curious and asking questions to broaden my own understanding. That's all.

No, I was just a little confused, that's all! I see what you're getting at :thumbup: I'm one of those people who's quite routine-driven, I can't survive without a plan-of-action. I think maybe the key to that might just be planning ahead, but obviously I haven't tried it so I'm not so sure how that would actually pan out in real life! Thanks for explaining!

ETA: Off topic, but I just had a look at the link in your signature and you and your hubby are doing a great thing. Sorry for your loss :hugs:

I think that most parents aren't qualified to teach children (I don't mean formally qualified I mean aren't able to do it properly). I certainly don't know enough to teach my children about all the things I would like them to know about. I liked being taught by experts. I would always be limiting them to what I know.
Also I don't understand how it's legal. Here children have to be in education until they are 16 either in school or homeschooled by parents that are deemed acceptable as educators.
Here you wouldn't get into uni with no formal qualifications.

No, I was just a little confused, that's all! I see what you're getting at :thumbup: I'm one of those people who's quite routine-driven, I can't survive without a plan-of-action. I think maybe the key to that might just be planning ahead, but obviously I haven't tried it so I'm not so sure how that would actually pan out in real life! Thanks for explaining!

ETA: Off topic, but I just had a look at the link in your signature and you and your hubby are doing a great thing. Sorry for your loss :hugs:

I am a routine monster so I can't cope without lists! Thank you. As I said I really wasn't criticising, just trying to think through how different scenarios could be managed.

And thank you- I am very proud of my husband. Bobo is a very special part of our lives.

While some children do not thrive in a school environment, I believe that it is just as possible that some children would not thrive in a home schooling environment. That's all. One size not fitting all. Not having a go at homeschooling, just asking what you would do if it does not turn out to be the best fit for your child. Was curious if people would go straight to mainstream school or if they would look for alternatives such as Steiner? What happens if your child needs the input of other professionals (speech therapy, etc)? I have worked with families who have accessed these services at home pre 5 but post 5 they have been solely based out of schools.

Of course you can adapt what you do, use approaches which suit learning styles (all things I do in my job I have to say but of course easier in a 1-1 or 2-1 situation) Some children do thrive best where there are tight routines and rules. Many of the posters I have read would seem to be favouring a more relaxed routine, going with the flow etc but what would you do if that approach was not working best for you child? Would you change to follow a timetable/rigid routine and would that be hard for you as your own approach to learning is quite different to that? For example, I know that for me kinaesthetic learners are more of a challenge as that is not my learning style so usimg that approach does not come naturally to me.

I feel as if you think I am criticising but I am not. I am curious and asking questions to broaden my own understanding. That's all.

Here's a couple of examples that I hope will answer some of your questions. My brother was a child that didn't thrive in a homeschooling environment, although I believe that was partly because he went to school until he was 10 and partly because of the approach my parents used (too formal in his case). They recognised that it wasn't suiting him and sent him back to school after one year at home. However, he never did well at school academically despite being very intelligent. I don't think my parents had ever heard of unschooling back then but it might have done wonders for him.

A friend of mine is a radical unschooler. Her oldest child (15) has recently requested to do more serious study work and possible some exams. One of her younger children has always wanted to do more formal "school work", which they have started doing for her. Her other children are very happy being unschooled. It's been a bit of a balancing act, but she has managed to provide exactly what each child needs. After all, it's got to be easier with 5 than with a class of 30!

Here's a couple of examples that I hope will answer some of your questions. My brother was a child that didn't thrive in a homeschooling environment, although I believe that was partly because he went to school until he was 10 and partly because of the approach my parents used (too formal in his case). They recognised that it wasn't suiting him and sent him back to school after one year at home. However, he never did well at school academically despite being very intelligent. I don't think my parents had ever heard of unschooling back then but it might have done wonders for him.

A friend of mine is a radical unschooler. Her oldest child (15) has recently requested to do more serious study work and possible some exams. One of her younger children has always wanted to do more formal "school work", which they have started doing for her. Her other children are very happy being unschooled. It's been a bit of a balancing act, but she has managed to provide exactly what each child needs. After all, it's got to be easier with 5 than with a class of 30!

Thank you! That is just what I was wondering. I woul dimagine it could challenging for the parent when your child wants something that is opposed to your ideology. When you make the commitment to home school/ unschool it is a huge undertaking. I have great respect for those of you who are , even though it is not for us!

I think one of the wonderful things about home ed is the ability to be flexible and to adapt and cater to individuals. Kaya sometimes enjoys doing workbooks and that's fine - it's still being child led as they're the ones that are asking

I think that most parents aren't qualified to teach children (I don't mean formally qualified I mean aren't able to do it properly). I certainly don't know enough to teach my children about all the things I would like them to know about. I liked being taught by experts. I would always be limiting them to what I know.
Also I don't understand how it's legal. Here children have to be in education until they are 16 either in school or homeschooled by parents that are deemed acceptable as educators.

Do you mind me asking where you are? I'm interested to know how parents are deemed to be acceptable, is there a test they take?

Home ed is actually illegal in some countries, including Germany, Sweden, Spain and the Netherlands. We are very lucky in this country that there is such a strong liberal history

In early childhood education, we learn that the parents are the first teachers. They work in conjunction with the child's teachers and caregivers to provide a high level of education.

Very interesting. It's definitely something I would consider for Jack, should it suit him. I will think about a Montessori style nursery. I was homeschooled from the ages of 14 to 17. I say homeschooled, but I didn't meet with any teachers at any point. I read my textbooks and completed my tests and essays. I decided to do homeschool, as I wanted to finish and felt my own school moved too slowly for me. And, for what it's worth, I'm someone who loves learning.

I've been to university and am a registered nurse, child branch. I have worked on all levels of neonatal units and am currently doing my nursing mentorship course. Self-directed learning was good for me, and I think it would've suited me throughout my primary education as well.

What do people think parents do to educate their children in rural areas. Places where the nearest school might be 100's of kilometers away?

What about 100+ years ago, where access to mainstream schooling would have been much more limited than today. Throughout history many children would have had to be home schooled. I for one, am very keen on the idea, as i know i can and will give my daughter the absolute best education. Who would put more time, love and effort into ot than their own parent?

Haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if I'm repeating anyone!
My personal problem with schools (and I only left school in 2008...) is that we were essentially spoon fed how to answer exam questions, not actually particularly encouraged to go away and study and research that subject for ourselves. I can imagine someone who was unschooled, or homeschooled, and given more of a chance to investigate and learn things for themself, would actually have a much better work ethic and a greater capacity for independent learning, which is a lot more important once you reach further education!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->