US mommies to be! Hospital bag?

krys

Madi's Mommy
Reaction score
I know there is a hospital bag sticky thread, and people probably ask the same question everyday! I get a little confused when reading from the UK ladies though, only bc baby things have different names there. :blush: Anyway, can I have a short and to the point list of what to pack in mine and LO's bags for the hospital? Please and thank you!! :flower:

Hey,

I have packed mine and babies bag last night.
-5 pair of granny panties (i will toss them after)
-two pair of socks
- 3 to 4 tank tops/ loose shirts
- 2 cotton shorts
- sweat pants
- 5 sports bras
- body wash, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, body mist, toothbrush, paste, hair ties and bobby pins, head band.
I left a note on top of the bag to grab my pillow, loofa and razor.
For baby i packed
- three blankets (2 swaddle, and one fluffy)
- three onesies
- two pair of socks
- a cute outfit for coming home
- a few diapers and wipes for the ten minute ride home
- car seat/base
- boppy pillow

I'm pretty sure everything else they will have or I will send my hubby home for.

If you go up to "Search" and type in US hospital Bag there's a thread from May 23rd US ladies - hospital bag and it had a lot of people's suggestions that helped me pack mine.

I don't know how to link it, sorry!

Hospital here pretty much provide everything you need.
For me I brought
shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothbrush, tooth paste
brush
hair ties
comfy sweat pants and tops
socks
granny panties (though the mesh panties they provide are awsome for the first day of heavy bleeding)

For baby all you need are
Car seat
going home outfit (I brought one newborn, one 0-3)
socks (i didn't use)

You don't need anything else, they provide everything needed for baby including diapers and wipes for the ride home!!

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/618188-us-ladies-hospital-bags.html :)

Yep, that's a good link. Not only are the names of things different in the UK but they pack WAY MORE than we do. Here in the USA the hospitals provide EVERYTHING for baby until you go home. Also, in the UK they tend to take things for their OH....here in the USA husbands do NOT take showers at the hospitals so they don't need changes of clothes, toiletries etc. Unless your an hour away from the hospital, there's no reason your dh can't go home change, shower, refresh etc.
Some additional things you may want is hard cardy/lollipops for labor and Ipod if you have one. Take maternity clothes to go home in (most women do not fit in pre-preggo clothes that quickly).
What I've packed for me:
Ipod, Phone + Charger, Playing cards, book to read, yoga pants and a loose t-shirt , going home outfit of capris and cute maternity shirt, toiletries (all travel sized), hair ties, lollipops, several pairs of panties and socks, camera and FLIP video.
For baby: Going home outfit x2 (they will pee/poop or puke on the 1st outfit), receiving blanket x2, binkie, diapers x6/wipes (45 min drive home), baby book for foot prints, and car seat will be installed in car.

I packed a lot and didnt need/want half of it. However I disagree about change of clothes for dh. My dh didnt want to go home & leave us even to shower (he left during labor as we thought we had hours left & the dr had to call him to tell him to come quick as the baby was going to be born any second) So after that he didnt want to leave again :rofl: We said next time this is what we will pack:

for dh: extra clothes including socks - he was sleeping in the room overnight w/ us & his feet got stinky! (he was sweaty w/ all the excitment of labor/delivery I guess - LOL

Snacks & drinks - I didnt let him leave my sight during labor til after I got en epi. He was starving & parched!
camera/battery
phone to call everyone afterwards
$ for the vending machines & or cafeteria food
deoderant, toothpaste, toothbrush, saline, extra contacts, glasses (for 3am)

For me:
pillow
Extra baggy sweats & tshirts (bigger size)
Granny underwear (only a few pairs as I liked the mesh undies)
Going home clothes - I brought pants that fit at 6mo pregnant & they barely fit. I was so waterlogged from IV fluid - next time I would bring bigger clothes. Also - flipflops as my tennis shoes didnt fit on my feet from water retention after IV as well.
Glasses, contact solution, extra contacts
toothbrush, toothpaste
makeup
barettes & or things to tie your hair back

For baby - going home outfit & carseat
baby book

The hospital provided: shampoo, soap, lotion, mesh undies (as many as I wanted), tons of pads, peribottle (squirt bottle for when you pee), I wasnt allowed to wear anything but hospital gown during labor/delivery. They provided lots of diapers, wipes, nose sucker, clothes for baby in the hospital, blanket, breast pump w/ all the extra parts, bottles, syringes, nipple shields, etc.

Last time I brought: too many undies, too many baby supplies (didnt need any of them), cd player (I didnt want it on during labor), lotions & massagers -star shaped things for my back (again didnt want), I brought books & magazines - I was too excited to read

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->