• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

US/UK Food: You call it whaaaaaaaat?

i agree with nic, they look like they needed more air in them, but i like em stodgy too - i can eat yorkies any way they come!

They just look a bit heavy that's all. Better than my first attempt which didn't rise at all! :flower: Thin batter and a good whisking to get lots of air in :thumbup: Roast looks AMAZING *drool* xxx

I do think they needed more air. Didn't whisk properly at all, because my whisk had gone missing. Definitely a bit heavy! LOL Hmm... So, actual whisk... more air... Slightly thinner batter! I might get this right next time! The roast was amazing! I used salt/pepper/onion powder/garlic powder on the outside of it and seared each side in a little EVOO. Then, I plopped it into the crock pot with some "au jus" mix and a packet of onion soup mix. Cooked on high for 6 hours on top of the potatoes! The potatoes somehow managed to end up with roast juice INSIDE them. You cut them open, and roast juice poured out! It was amazing! Very proud of my effort!

Aw hun - the yorkshires arent too bad. I have seen a LOT worse (Ive definately made worse on occasion) I always used to hand make the batter so Ive never done it in a food mixer which most people do. One tip, always slide a spoon through the mixture, back and fore to get a little wave and see if you get bubbles as it slaps against the sides- if you do its ready.

Also - v important to make sure the oil in the yorkshire tin is VERY hot - ive made that mistake before.

Mizze

Didn't realize this! Maybe that would have helped!

They just look a bit heavy that's all. Better than my first attempt which didn't rise at all! :flower: Thin batter and a good whisking to get lots of air in :thumbup: Roast looks AMAZING *drool* xxx

I do think they needed more air. Didn't whisk properly at all, because my whisk had gone missing. Definitely a bit heavy! LOL Hmm... So, actual whisk... more air... Slightly thinner batter! I might get this right next time! The roast was amazing! I used salt/pepper/onion powder/garlic powder on the outside of it and seared each side in a little EVOO. Then, I plopped it into the crock pot with some "au jus" mix and a packet of onion soup mix. Cooked on high for 6 hours on top of the potatoes! The potatoes somehow managed to end up with roast juice INSIDE them. You cut them open, and roast juice poured out! It was amazing! Very proud of my effort!

Yumm!

Aw hun - the yorkshires arent too bad. I have seen a LOT worse (Ive definately made worse on occasion) I always used to hand make the batter so Ive never done it in a food mixer which most people do. One tip, always slide a spoon through the mixture, back and fore to get a little wave and see if you get bubbles as it slaps against the sides- if you do its ready.

Also - v important to make sure the oil in the yorkshire tin is VERY hot - ive made that mistake before.

Mizze

Didn't realize this! Maybe that would have helped!

Thats a tip direct from my Mum - who is a cracking home cook. I have had yorkshires ruined by not being able to get them out and them deflating because the oil wasnt hot enough! The thing about the bubbles that I said shows that there is enough air in the mixture.

HTH

Mizze x

Thanks! I'll be looking at this thread next time I try them! :)

Anyone want to post an authentic recipe? Including cooking time and temp? I'm going to give it another go soon! :dance:

Also, my friend desperately wants me to try my hand at "bubble and squeak"... Worth trying?

Oh yeah good point on the hot oil Mizze!

I don't know why it didn't say the oil should be hot! :( That might have made a huge difference!

I'm not sure what those things are or how they are supposed to look, but I'll tell you what.. I'll eat out of either one of those bowls.. :haha:

They both look super yummy. I'm starving now!

It's 6:51am and I am in serious need of hot, buttered crumpets with Marmite. And a cup of tea.

i want crumpets too - bloody ermes(supermarket) havnt had any in ages!!!

I'd rather remove my own throat with a rusted spoon than eat Marmite. :(

Ooooh Marmite - yumm!!! I love it! :)

Mizze xx

Thanks! I'll be looking at this thread next time I try them! :)

Anyone want to post an authentic recipe? Including cooking time and temp? I'm going to give it another go soon! :dance:

Also, my friend desperately wants me to try my hand at "bubble and squeak"... Worth trying?

Megg, I will ask my Mum for her recipe for Yorkshires. I have a feeling its from a recipe book she got when she married in the late 60's!

Im making bubble & squeak tonight as it happens - I think its best with roast dinner left overs. I have left over cabbage/roast pumkin and roast potatoes to go with the rest of the chicken from last night - yumm!!

We normally only have it on Boxing Day (26th December) to use up any Christmas dinner leftovers - My Mother cooks ham and beef too so we have 3 meats to choose from, the bubble & squeak and loads of pickles and chutneys and festive stuffing mixes - its one of my christmas highlights! Oooh Im drooling now! :)

I love bubble & squeak but I dont think Ive ever made with "fresh" ingredients rather than left overs - no reason why it wouldnt work beautifully though.

Oh for the Christmas Day one - my mum boils extra potatoes to feed us all rather than just use roasted potatoes.

EDIT - Found this online - Delia is a BIG name here for cooking. Anyway - its not particularly traditional but it sounds LOVELY -I will be adding cheese to mine (any excuse for mature cheese!) but you will need good mature cheddar for it to work I would have thought.

Mizze x

so what is all this u ladies are talking about...crumpets, bubble and squeak and that other thing megg doesnt like...what is all that ?

lol, it all sounds nasty to me.. except the crumpets... which I've seen in the store and look a bit like english muffins to me (someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

Crumpets do look like the English muffins we sell here.

I actually did plan to use left over roast potatoes for the "bubble and squeak"... but we ate them all! LOL So, I don't know now! My friend desperately wants me to make it... I think because he likes the name! :haha: I found one that used potatoes, cabbage, bacon and a few other things. I quite like the idea of there being bacon in it. I think cabbage cooked with bacon is AMAZING anyway. So, I think I might go for that recipe. I'm finding 2 different versions though... 1 that looks like a soupier mix, and the other looks like cakes/patties. Like you mush it all together like a crab cake and then sort of pan fry it. I think that's the one that we're considering... I don't do "soupy" stuff! LOL

Hey is a UK babygrow the same as a US onesie?!??!

Crumpets do look like the English muffins we sell here.

I actually did plan to use left over roast potatoes for the "bubble and squeak"... but we ate them all! LOL So, I don't know now! My friend desperately wants me to make it... I think because he likes the name! :haha: I found one that used potatoes, cabbage, bacon and a few other things. I quite like the idea of there being bacon in it. I think cabbage cooked with bacon is AMAZING anyway. So, I think I might go for that recipe. I'm finding 2 different versions though... 1 that looks like a soupier mix, and the other looks like cakes/patties. Like you mush it all together like a crab cake and then sort of pan fry it. I think that's the one that we're considering... I don't do "soupy" stuff! LOL

Mush and pan fry definately.

I have discovered that left over roasted pumpkin is surprisingly good in bubble & squeak - yumm.

Mizze x

Thanks, Mizze! :)

Yes, they're the same, Marlarky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116