• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

US/UK Food: You call it whaaaaaaaat?

something that has been winding me up all day as I watched some american cooking programmes on the food network was the presenters/chefs saying 'erbs instead of herbs and one pronouncing shallots 'charlottes' as in the name charlotte! oh and it wasn't just her accent making it sound like charlotte!

I definitely don't think you all sound like the Queen. In fact, I do recognize different accents! I never used to, but the BnB girls have taught me. Most of the people I love live in the UK now! :haha: Even in movies, I point out to my husband that "those 2 must be from different regions, their accents are completely different"... and he doesn't quite get how I can tell! :rofl:

something that has been winding me up all day as I watched some american cooking programmes on the food network was the presenters/chefs saying 'erbs instead of herbs and one pronouncing shallots 'charlottes' as in the name charlotte! oh and it wasn't just her accent making it sound like charlotte!

Don't get me started on the bloody "urbs" :gun: Ina Garten seems to have the worst way of saying it

When Jamie Oliver was doing his revolution thing he was referring to troops in "Eye-raq" too which was even worse as it's not how he would actually pronounce it in real life.

lol, its totally "urbs" its weird when the h is pronounced!
Not sure if this is regional or something that would vary between countries... but I can't STAND it when people say the word human "you-man" I know, totally hypocritcal of me after dropping the h on herbs

Don't get me started on the bloody "urbs" :gun: Ina Garten seems to have the worst way of saying it

When Jamie Oliver was doing his revolution thing he was referring to troops in "Eye-raq" too which was even worse as it's not how he would actually pronounce it in real life.

We say Iraq "eye-raq" ... not "I-rock" which is how i've heard it pronounced otherwise :blush:

Its so strange how much different words are!

& I'm with ya lisaf, it's erbs & spices. hehe

H-erb is a person's name, not a spice :rofl:

hehe, you guys DO all talk like the queen :haha: :rofl:

Oh.. and I was just re-reading a book I read when I was younger ... its based in Ireland and they seemed to have pudding with every meal... and their evening meal is called tea...
I just now realized that every time I've read the book before I thought they just REALLY liked pudding (US kind) and that I thought they had tea AFTER dinner or something, lol!

:rofl: I'm irish, and though tea is the meal after dinner most of us drink tea with every meal too :lol:
weird question but do you not have electric kettles? everyone here has one

I think there are electric kettles available, but most of us don't make tea in kettles. We generally drink iced tea far more than hot tea.

I think we drink coffee more than tea for hot, but Megg is right that we drink tons of iced tea. Maybe thats just because I'm in california in an area where we don't see snow, lol!

I wanted an electric kettle, but it was just easier to get one for the stove. And the kettles I'm talking about are just for heating the water... we seldom brew the tea in the kettle and the electric ones that make your tea are gosh darned expensive!

hehe, you guys DO all talk like the queen :haha: :rofl:

Oh.. and I was just re-reading a book I read when I was younger ... its based in Ireland and they seemed to have pudding with every meal... and their evening meal is called tea...
I just now realized that every time I've read the book before I thought they just REALLY liked pudding (US kind) and that I thought they had tea AFTER dinner or something, lol!

:rofl: I'm irish, and though tea is the meal after dinner most of us drink tea with every meal too :lol:
weird question but do you not have electric kettles? everyone here has one

By dinner, do you mean mid-day meal, or evening meal?
I call the last meal of the day dinner here. We do after-dinner coffee a lot here, so I thought the tea thing was like that in the book. (I know better now of course!)

In honor of you gals, I'm making roast with Yorkshire pudding tonight! I've never made either and never tasted a Yorkshire pudding! :shock: I hope I don't eff it up! LOL

Ooh exciting, how was it? You need to get the consistency right with the batter mix - Kev made it really thick on Sunday so they didn't really rise and were v heavy. I thinned the leftover batter out with milk the next day and made some lush yorkies :)

hmmm yorkies!!!! i might make some just cos

or perhaps pancakes

Jo - fresh yorkies with honey or jam. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (jelly to the Americans after the confusion Megg had about my plug!! :rofl:)

In honor of you gals, I'm making roast with Yorkshire pudding tonight! I've never made either and never tasted a Yorkshire pudding! :shock: I hope I don't eff it up! LOL

How did it go?

The one thing I could always do really well in Home Economics was making batter for yorkshires! Yumm yumm

Mizze x

It went... but not particularly well. I think I effed it up pretty badly! I followed a recipe to the T though! :( I'll post the pic... but be gentle. I already know they came out wrong... and I don't do well with failure! lol

Added pic of the roast with potatoes too... I got that part right! :thumbup:

Attachments

• Yorkshire pudding.jpg
    Yorkshire pudding.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Roast and potatoes.jpg
    Roast and potatoes.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 11
They just look a bit heavy that's all. Better than my first attempt which didn't rise at all! :flower: Thin batter and a good whisking to get lots of air in :thumbup: Roast looks AMAZING *drool* xxx

Aw hun - the yorkshires arent too bad. I have seen a LOT worse (Ive definately made worse on occasion) I always used to hand make the batter so Ive never done it in a food mixer which most people do. One tip, always slide a spoon through the mixture, back and fore to get a little wave and see if you get bubbles as it slaps against the sides- if you do its ready.

Also - v important to make sure the oil in the yorkshire tin is VERY hot - ive made that mistake before.

Mizze

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->