US/UK Food: You call it whaaaaaaaat?

In wales we do something thats called Wenglish - its in English but its construction as a sentence etc uses Welsh grammar.
"I'll be there now in a minute" is a very common saying and its not until its pointed out to you how odd that sounds that you even notice it.

We use cwtch for 'cuddle' but Ive heard it used for 'under the stairs' and I know in Nottingham (another big old mining area) cwtch is also used for a cuddle - but im not sure on how it is spelt.

Bill Bryson has a brilliant book about English languge development and its idiosyncrasies called Mother Tounge - a really good read actually not heavy and really fascinating

Mizze xx

Or "who's coat is that Jacket?" I do that one a lot! As well as Now in a minute!

I never understood the whole lounge and living room situation, DH says lounge,I say Living room

I only say lounge like at my friends where she has both, they use the living room more, and the lounge as a back up room!

Ooh now I use lounge and living room interchangeably - but then I do that for Tea and Dinner (just to confuse!!)

Mizze x

This thread has cheered me up no end! With the yorkshire pudding make sure the batter is quite runny. Also, the oil needs heating up so that it is smoking hot before pouring the batter in - you know you've got it tight if the oil sizzles when the batter hits it. I'm a yorkshire girl so this is one thing I am good at :haha: Oooh Megg, why not try toad in the hole? Any americans know what that is?! Even more confusing, my dad calls it "frog in the ogg" :rofl:

(It's sausage cooked in the yorkshire pudding batter) :haha:

As for bubble and squeak I would use the sunday roast left overs but would use mashed potato instead of roasties. Mush it together with the veg and fry in a little oil in a frying pan - yum! Hubby even puts brown sauce on his :haha:

Frog in the Ogg??

I love toad in the hole! We have it once a week without fail!

Also, sometimes, I have a huge yorkshire pudding with the rest of the sunday roast inside it...nommm! (I'm surprised I am not a size 20, the way I eat, sometimes!)

For Megg33k - Batter mixture for Yorkshires/Toad in the Hole (YUMM!!) etc.

This comes from an old cookbook of my Mum's but is the only recipe she uses.

Its in British measurements so you might have to convert - its very simple though!
4oz plain flour
1/2 pint milk and water mixed (She would use what we call semi-skimmed milk)
1 egg
and a pinch of salt

She says that the original recipe goes on about sifting flour, using a wooden spoon etc - but these days though she does sift the flour - everything goes into the food processor.

She mentioned again the importance of getting the oil REALLY hot

Hope that this works for you

Mizze xx

Thanks, Mizze! I didn't get to do them the other night! But, I'll try it soon!

Can I ask the US ladies - do you all have coffee makers? - cause here we just boil the water in the electric kettle and then either pour it in to the teapot/mug to make tea or into a mug of instant coffee (unless we're posh & have a cafetiere or coffee maker) - my Dad would go mad if he had to wait for the water to boil on the stove everytime he wanted a coffee!!

Yes we have Coffee Pots :) Lol. You add the coffee granules in a filter at the top and then the water boils and goes through into the glass pot at the bottom. Is that the same thing that you guys have?

I'd go crazy if I had to boil like that every time too! Although that is what I do for tea, since we dont drink it often (or at least I dont) ..

My husband uses a coffee press for his coffee.. so yes he waits for the water to boil etc, lol

dont know if u ladies already have these ones on here but i noticed it on another post...

garden is what we grow our vegies in
i guess u guys call it a veggie patch?
your garden is what we call our backyard.

pissed is what u call our drunk

dont know if u ladies already have these ones on here but i noticed it on another post...

we'd still say drunk in polite company - I wouldn't say pissed infront of my mum!

or an allotment

Are there crumpets in America ? I was speaking to an American once and they had no idea what I was on about !

God yes - saying Pissed is swearing - at least according to my Mum!

Mizze xx

Are there crumpets in America ? I was speaking to an American once and they had no idea what I was on about !

No... Well, they look a lot like what we call an English Muffin... but I assume its not the same thing?

They sell some crumpets in the grocery store... Megg is right that they look like English muffins but kind of different. I have no idea if they are decent or some horrible American interpretation :haha:

Have they got loads of little holes in them?
https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https://www.gm.tv/media/images/4/i/crumpet_large.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.socialphobiaworld.com/something-you-like-alphabetically-in-images-26706/page-72/&usg=__dE3gxD8mEUwKm9_kBFe03qVuD3M=&h=240&w=350&sz=26&hl=en&start=21&zoom=1&tbnid=23RW_sl7Kwhu-M:&tbnh=128&tbnw=158&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcrumpets%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1345%26bih%3D553%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C307&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=552&vpy=272&dur=466&hovh=186&hovw=271&tx=151&ty=127&ei=VPb3TJOzHc3x4gbvyJnjBg&oei=UPb3TOO5I8uyhAfg-43GDw&esq=2&page=2&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:21&biw=1345&bih=553

yes.. but a smoother surface than the English muffins... and they're 1 piece instead of 2..
do they taste different?

yes.. but a smoother surface than the English muffins... and they're 1 piece instead of 2..
do they taste different?

They taste kind of bread-like, but it's more the texture that's different. They're kind of chewy. You toast them and serve them hot with lots of butter melting into the holes :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->