• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

US/UK Food: You call it whaaaaaaaat?

lol breakfast lunch and dinner makes sense to me

Though I do think that sometimes (maybe only historically) we had breakfast dinner and supper

:haha: Tea confuses me too, I always wonder if they mean an actual cup of tea.

Tea refers back to many years ago where it would be breakfast, luncheon, afternoon tea, and supper.

Afternoon tea used to mean drinking tea and eating cakes.

Though I do think that sometimes (maybe only historically) we had breakfast dinner and supper

For us, well, where I am from, we would have breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. Supper is a late meal, about 9pm, before bed. :lol:

Tea refers back to many years ago where it would be breakfast, luncheon, afternoon tea, and supper.

Afternoon tea used to mean drinking tea and eating cakes.

Oh interesting. Afternoon tea sounds lovely :thumbup: Now I want cakes.. and tea!

lol... yes, I knew about the afternoon tea thing... so I was quite confused when people said they had a roast for tea :haha:
I had thought tea was sandwiches and cakes and things so it was quite confusing until I realized people meant tea was a whole official meal :dohh:
The time difference also kept me in the dark as to WHICH meal it was exactly until you clarified for me, hehe!

For us, well, where I am from, we would have breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. Supper is a late meal, about 9pm, before bed. :lol:

Supper is precisely a meal eaten around 9pm. I hated it when my in-laws would call lunch "dinner" and dinner "supper"... I always wanted to correct them, but I was already a heinous bitch, so I thought better of it! :haha:

I have breakfast, dinner and tea - very rarely say the word "lunch", unless perhaps we go out for lunch with friends...meaning a lighter meal, perhaps a salad or nachos to share or something? Dinner being the larger, main meal of the day

(in our house anyway haha!)

I dont know if this has been asked but what is a "Cottage pie"?

Cottage pie is minced beef in a gravy often with some peas or carrots, topped with mashed potato. Nom nom nom. Shepherds Pie is the same but with lamb. x

An American here watching Law & Order: UK!! And liking it a lot!!!
(sorry just had to throw that in here :haha":

haha, I started watching that too! I get confused when my familiar patterns like the little 'in the criminal justice system..' opener are different!

We call the minced beef pie Shephards Pie... I think its more common to use beef here than lamb for it.

I saw an episode of Law & Order: UK too! Its not bad at all! :) Plus, they all have interesting accents unlike the American version!

I saw an episode of Law & Order: UK too! Its not bad at all! :) Plus, they all have interesting accents unlike the American version!

Hhaaha but the UK will say that OURS have accents, unlike theirs!!

Hhaaha but the UK will say that OURS have accents, unlike theirs!!

That's true. Although Most Americans (I presume) will say people from different states have accents, same as we do in the UK with people from different areas, but people from the US think we all talk like the Queen... :lol:

Thats awesome! Having a queen accent would be nice. :haha: All my out of state family says I have a bumpkin accent. In other words, I sound like a redneck.

Lovely right? But at the same time, they're from the north eastern part of the states.. so it sounds like they say ...

I'm going to Pock my Cah .. instead of "I'm going to park my car" .. definitely different accents in the states. I had a friend from Boston once, I always had to tell her to slow down because I couldn't understand what she was saying. :D

hehe, you guys DO all talk like the queen :haha: :rofl:

Oh.. and I was just re-reading a book I read when I was younger ... its based in Ireland and they seemed to have pudding with every meal... and their evening meal is called tea...
I just now realized that every time I've read the book before I thought they just REALLY liked pudding (US kind) and that I thought they had tea AFTER dinner or something, lol!

:rofl: Well, my friend from New Zealand said I sounded like the Queen, but I'm from the midlands and up here we sound common as anything and nothing like the queen :rofl: I can only tell the difference really from Southern US accent (Sookie Stackhouse.. :rofl: ) New York (friends... :lol: ) and just a 'general' US accent. In the UK we have something like 100 different accents and dialects. Apparently we have the most different accents in the world for one country.

Oh yeah, I'm a California girl, so you know, I like, talk like a valley girl, totally!

I can talk like the queen when I'm on the phone... Or I can sound like a cockney when I'm wiv my sister, innit :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->