• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

US/UK Food: You call it whaaaaaaaat?

Look at that egg!!!!!! :haha:

College is a sort of 6th form, yes. It's 16-18 usually but you can go at any age over 16. Uni is usually something like 18-21 depending on the course (My friend will be 23 when all hers is done - she's training to become a teacher)

i dont know thats just what i heard lol. but now that u mention it i actually looked it up and im getting the same info u did ...thats so weird about the color of the earlobe

I honestly didn't know chickens had earlobes... I was a bit :huh: and :shock: and :wacko: at it!!!

ya me too...i was thinking ive never seen them, where the heck r they lol :haha:

im going to college to become a RN for the nicu and i have to have 60 units(which each class is usually 3-6 units) before i can get my AS then i can get into the nursing program....if i wanted to transfer to a university then it would take even longer

Megg, I'm on the phone at the mo but if you look in my Mobile Uploads album on fb, towards the end - next to the green egg pic - there's one of a chook dustbathing in a bowl and you can see her pale blue earlobes. Feel free to link the pic to here! Xx

Eek! You can totally see her blue earlobes! OMG!

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs295.ash1/22233_241958727202_711812202_3808723_5281794_n.jpg

wow thats soooo weird. the site i was on lastnight was talking about the different kinds of eggs and said something about a different kind of chicken that has blue eggs....well now i know where the lobes r lol

I didn't even know chickens had ears! I figured they just has holes in their head for the ears!! LMAO

lol... you girls crack me up! I want a blue earlobed chicken too!! And blue eggs and green eggs. Are there purple ones? :haha:
And :haha: at the picture... now I know where they are too!

I have always called any type of post-high school education 'college' ... though its true that the institutions are named 'universities' and 'colleges' like Megg explained. I just know most people refer to it as 'going to college' regardless of whether they attend a community college or a state university etc.

As for our degrees, the standard 4-year education is a Bachelor's degree. Then there are advanced degrees called a Masters and then your PHD. For some advanced careers like medical, vetrinary, psychology etc, there are usually specific programs that are specialized.

LOL at the chicken earlobes!

By the way UK ladies, What is porridge? And what is marmite?
This thread has been so interesting!

Porridge is scottish originally I think - to make it you can buy packets of porridge oats - and make it either with milk or with water. Some people have it savoury so put salt in it :sick:

Me I put loads of sugar on it!! Its very good for you (despite the sugar) And depending on the type you get you can make it in a saucepan or in the microwave - https://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/porridge-recipes.htm

Marmite - mmmmmmm Marmite is a love or hate product - its yeast extract so you might know it as that. It was originally the by-product of making beer. I personally LOVE marmite -on toast its the best thing ever and ive been known to eat it out of the jar :blush: Its a really good souce of vit b. https://www.marmite.com/

Mmmmmm

Now I have a dilemma - do I have my normal porridge brekkie (perfect in these freezing temperatures) or do I have marmite on toast????

Mizze xx

Marmite is the most vile "food" on this planet! :sick:

wow never heard of it, looks gross.

I guess your porridge is like our oatmeal. Or cream of wheat.

Do you eat hot dogs in the UK? And what is petit filous?

Annnnnd....what is a parsnip?

ETA: Just looking through the weaning section and I have a few more...!
What are redibrek, weetabix, and what is dairylea?
I'm sure we have all of these in the US but like many other things, are just called a different name.

weetabix I THINK are teething toasts... but could be quite wrong on that!

we do have hot dogs but don't think they are eaten as much over here

petit filous is a brand of Fromage Frais

a parsnip is a root vegetable

readybrek is a brand of porridge

weetabix is a breakfast cereal

dairylea is a brand of cheese spread

lol... whoops, I was wrong about the teething toast thing... I think those are Weebix brand.. must be how I got it confused with wheetabix....
is that like shredded wheat?

Weetabix is yummy :haha: I had never seen it before we got here, and they sell it on base!

I heard it talked about on here so much so I bought some and ate it every day until it was gone.. I added blueberries and strawberries.. Its really cool! The milk makes these wafer things fall apart into cereal stuff.. mmm :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->