• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

US/UK Food: You call it whaaaaaaaat?

Ooo - 2 things one food related & one not!
1.Why do Americans call the main course in a restaurant an entree?
2. Someone on tv just talked about a man wearing suspenders - that always makes me laugh as although I know they meant what we call braces - to hold his trousers up, I pictured him in stockings & suspenders (what do those of you in the USA call the thing that you attach your stockings to?)

We don't so much use the things that hold your socks up. And, braces go on teeth! :haha:

No clue why its called an entrée... That's a good question. Wikipedia says that it denotes the "entry" of dishes into the dining hall from the kitchen... Its French for "entry," I guess. :shrug:

Ha no I didn't mean things that hold socks up!! I'm not a 90 year old man!!! I meant the sexy underwear type!!

I was goign to find a picture & paste it in but don't want to look like a perv!!

we call those suspenders :lol: & sidewalk v pavement!

Sidewalk vs pavement? I'm confused. I call a sidewalk a sidewalk... I don't know when I'd use 'pavement'... I know what it means, but I definitely don't think I say it. lol

i mean you call it a sidewalk we call it pavement :) xx

we call the street the pavment sometimes but not very often. but the sidewalk is the concrete on the side of the street...its so weird how things have differnt names but are the same thing. like the different vegies/fruits/baby items and everyday things...bathroom/garden/sidewalks and stuff like that.....i would be calling things the complete wrong thing out of habit if i went to another country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cornish_pasty_-_cut.jpeg

A genuine Cornish pasty has a distinctive 'D' shape and is crimped on one side, never on top. The texture of the filling for the pasty is chunky, made up of uncooked minced or roughly cut chunks of beef (not less than 12.5%), swede or turnip, potato and onion and a light peppery seasoning. The pastry casing is golden in colour, savoury, glazed with milk or egg and robust enough to retain its shape throughout the cooking and cooling process without splitting or cracking. The whole pasty is slow-baked to ensure that flavours from the raw ingredients are maximised.

:flower:

We have pasties here! They are so good. A lot of people still have no idea what they are, they kinda started around the upper state, towards Canada and the UP long ago. If it wasn't carb city, I would be living off those things right now! It was a main staple for hunters up there and slowly worked it's way down.

mmmmmmm pasties... *drools*

pasties are really yummy :cloud9: & sausage rolls! I'm veggie now though! lol x

hehehehe... so when you guys says 'pasty' it makes me think of these:
https://www.bridalwave.tv/pasties.jpg

I do have to say that a google image search of 'pasties' brings up quite an interesting mix of pictures :rofl:

:rofl: nipple tassles!

i got my mates pink ones for xmas :smug: as a joke! xx

yep... nipple tassles/covers... otherwise know as pasties! :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94