US/UK Food: You call it whaaaaaaaat?

it was at one of those fancy candy shops out in monterey I think.... where you pick out of barrels and pay by the lb..... we bought a LOT, lol!!!!
And it was AWESOME, lol... they were way better than the kind you get in an assorted bag etc..

of course you're talking to the girl who will pay $18 for 4 cupcakes (but even I admit thats insane... they're just SOOOOOO good :rofl:)

i'm coming to live with you :smug:

Its always cheapest to buy at a state fair... Just a whole freaking box of the white saltwater taffy for however much they charge. I don't like the flavored kind!

what does it taste like? and whats a state fair!?

I think it tastes like salt water...? Which would be pretty cool... I love the smell of wet wall after it rains and could happily munch on it :haha:

oooh wet wall smells nice :rofl: salt water doesn't sound too apetising though :blush:

:haha: I do like the smell of a good ol' wet wall tho!! x

It doesn't taste like saltwater... Its just kind of sweet in a non-descriptive way. Its not flavored exactly... Uhm... Sort of like a really toned down version of divinity but with no nuts?

A state fair... uhm... its a week long event that has rides (like ferris wheels, carousels, small rollercoasters, other things that spin and flip and stuff) and greasy food and live music and sometimes a competition for arts, crafts, baking, etc... Its like a festival or carnival? I don't know what you call it. I don't know why its called the "state fair"... because every state in the US has jillions of them each year.

What the hell is wet wall?

Can I be an American now please?

Well it's a wall... that is wet... it is what it is :haha:

the idea of eating something made with salt water sounds horrible - like drinking a glass of sea water or something!

Can I be an American now please?

Well it's a wall... that is wet... it is what it is :haha:

Sure! :) C'mon over!

Oh... Its just any old wall that gets wet? And, you sniff them?

the idea of eating something made with salt water sounds horrible - like drinking a glass of sea water or something!

Its not salty at all...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_water_taffy

Well when it rains you can smell a wet wall without having to actually go up to them. Are our walls different, do yours not smell? :haha: I'm not a sniffing freak, I want to EAT the wall, bloody pregnancy :haha:

i think i might of actually tried it, the sweets look familiar?

You might have, CRW... I think its pretty common.

I don't know, Sarah... I've never noticed our walls smelling after rain... :wacko:

A state fair... uhm... its a week long event that has rides (like ferris wheels, carousels, small rollercoasters, other things that spin and flip and stuff) and greasy food and live music and sometimes a competition for arts, crafts, baking, etc... Its like a festival or carnival? I don't know what you call it. I don't know why its called the "state fair"... because every state in the US has jillions of them each year.

And don't forget about fried EVERYTHING!!! I was going to list some stuff but might as well just quote an article. :winkwink:

Don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise: The Wisconsin State Fair is all about food that's battered and fried, dipped in chocolate, stuck on a stick, or slathered in decadence.

Those who walk past the temptations may find an occasional healthy oasis of fresh fruit not dipped in chocolate, pork chops grilled instead of fried, and salads, pure and simple.

But even Dr. Vegetable near the grandstand batters and fries broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, onions, green tomatoes and sweet potatoes. Fairgoers line up to pay $6 to $7 for these vegetables coated in greasy calories. Another vendor, Krautland, this year added deep-fried green beans for $5.

"We can't make them fast enough," Krautland employee Danielle Schurman said of the deep-fried green beans. "I tell people they're getting their veggies for the day, and they love anything fried. The contrast of healthy and unhealthy seems to pull them in."

Just two days after a sobering report about obesity was released by the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the fair opened its 11-day run with a bevy of traditional high-calorie favorites and new hot-sellers, including a Krispy Kreme cheeseburger packing 1,000 calories.

The Machine Shed expected to sell about 3,500 salty-sweet Krispy Kreme cheeseburgers over the first three days of the fair. Roughly a fourth of the $5 burgers sandwiched between two halves of a Krispy Kreme glazed doughnut were ordered with chocolate-covered bacon for an extra buck. In contrast, a stand at the northern edge of the central mall selling fruit drinks and fresh fruit late Friday afternoon had few takers for the $3.50 fruit bowl and $1 whole fruit.

Finding fresh fruit and vegetables not fattened up with chocolate or breading is a challenge, but that's the nature of fairs, which count on novel and beloved food traditions to draw people back year after year.

"We encourage all of our vendors to offer a diverse menu," said Kristin Chuckel, public relations and communications manager for State Fair Park. "While you can find many deep-fried items here at the fair, there are also a lot of healthier alternatives, such as grilled chicken sandwiches, broiled pork chop sandwiches, fresh fruit, smoothies, grilled seafood and salads."

Several fairgoers said at the start of the weekend that they consider State Fair calories a once-a-year splurge - a chance to experience unique or wacky foods they probably won't find anywhere else. The parade of calories adds up quickly, as fairgoers are surrounded by high-calorie favorites at 178 food booths that stretch across the fairgrounds.

"We get all the food groups in all the fattening ways we can find," quipped Gary Bakker of New Berlin, who was at the fair with his wife, Connie, daughter, Brianna, and her friend Lincoln McDonald of Australia.

They started with a lean protein (butterfly pork chop sandwich), then worked up to vegetables (buttered, roasted corn on the cob and a baked potato), dairy (cream puff), fruit (chocolate-covered strawberries and apple squares), and more vegetables (deep-fried cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini and onions). Another protein (chocolate-covered bacon) was still on Brianna's to-eat list.

"I'll eat fruit tomorrow. I can get that at home," Connie Bakker said. "We don't eat like this normally. We eat pretty healthy."

At least one in four adult fairgoers probably couldn't say the same, according to national statistics.

Now I'm hungry. :(

I would love to try american food, most of it looks soooooo lovely albeit very unhealthy LOL

I'm one of those people who should be on 'this is why you're fat' :haha:

lol... wow, our fairs are not as big calorie-fests as that sounds like!
Of course we are california... every local fair has a few tri-tip booths since we are huges fans of that cut of meat here though I hear its not a common cut in other states.

We have a lemon festival and an avocado festival here.... a little further north is a strawberry festival and of course Gilroy has a famous garlic festival

Our fairs ARE just like that... deep fried candy bars and crap like that... I actually don't like fair food much at all. The only thing I really like from a fair is a fried (not battered) turkey leg! OMG! SOOOOOOOO GOOD!

Seems to me you can deep fry just about anything these days :lol: I'll stick to chips (your fries) and onion rings :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->