• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

US/UK Food: You call it whaaaaaaaat?

FANNY! Ahahahaah! Lol Fanny = vulva in the UK.

A fizzy drink is a soda.

And odd question, I'm a Scot living in New Zealand and here they call wellie (wellington boots) gumboots.

What do Americans call them?

Oh and cell phone = mobile

A fizzy drink is a soda.

And odd question, I'm a Scot living in New Zealand and here they call wellie (wellington boots) gumboots.

had to google what wellington boots are... LOL.
They are rain boots or rubber boots here in Canada.....I assume its the same in the US

it the US it is sometimes refered to as Mobile (or mobile phone)

A fizzy drink is a soda.

...Now it makes me wonder what my gramma meant when I was a young child and she'd yell, "Get your fanny over here!"

I always thought it meant butt, over here....

fanny! Ahahahaah! Lol fanny = vulva in the uk.

a fizzy drink is a soda.

And odd question, i'm a scot living in new zealand and here they call wellie (wellington boots) gumboots.

What do americans call them?

...now it makes me wonder what my gramma meant when i was a young child and she'd yell, "get your fanny over here!"

i always thought it meant butt, over here....

pmsl!!!!

Loving the thread
As for the soft boiled eggs - you have no idea what you are missing -they are real kids comfort food over here - the sort of thing you have when you are poorly

Oh thats one I dont know if you have over there = Poorly= mildly sick especially if you are a child.

Trouers/Pants - always cracks me up because in the Uk pants=panties
Tights/pantyhose - thats possibly a real olde English thing that came over with the pilgrims.

As for the Period thing, I know its childish but it makes me giggle everytime

Mizze

Unless you live in the North West!!
Poeple in Liverpool and Manchester, Chester and Newcastle say pants.
I'm not originally from the North so first time I heard them I was like :shock:

i have to agree - i often say pants, meaning trousers and knickers are underwear,

aint language funny?

i have to agree - i often say pants, meaning trousers and knickers are underwear,

aint language funny?

Great aint it - English is particularly good - I think its vocab is huge compared to other languages generally. Partly because its good at adapting other words in from other cultures.

Mizze xx

locally (newcastle) we say things and they sound more european than english

its bin cad - its been cold - similar to the german for i am cold - Ich bin kalt

In wales we do something thats called Wenglish - its in English but its construction as a sentence etc uses Welsh grammar.
"I'll be there now in a minute" is a very common saying and its not until its pointed out to you how odd that sounds that you even notice it.

We use cwtch for 'cuddle' but Ive heard it used for 'under the stairs' and I know in Nottingham (another big old mining area) cwtch is also used for a cuddle - but im not sure on how it is spelt.

Bill Bryson has a brilliant book about English languge development and its idiosyncrasies called Mother Tounge - a really good read actually not heavy and really fascinating

Mizze xx

hehe, I minored in Linguistics at college....
you'd be surprised how many phrases we have that when you think about it, aren't grammatically correct because we really just borrowed them.
Of course I'm blanking on them right now, its been about 7 years since I studied this stuff, lol

The examples I remember most are that the word children is actually a double plural.... meaning we used to use the word childer for plural... but somewhere along the way it didn't seem plural enough and we made it childeren ... then dropped one of the e's

The other example is how the word chamber and camera not only mean the same thing... but that chamber actually morphed over time from the word camera
these changes happen when a country is conquered or occupied and languages/pronounciations blend together. So camera became chamera because the 'c' was pronounced 'ch' by some people... the 'b' was added because it just seems to fit phonetically with the way your mouth moves between the sounds.. chambera... and the a just dropped off... chamber

Then when the camera was invented... they reached back into latin I believe for camera obscura (dark chamber)... and tada.. we eventually just called it a camera

Ok... linguistics lecture over for the day, lol..

A fizzy drink is a soda.

had to google what wellington boots are... LOL.
They are rain boots or rubber boots here in Canada.....I assume its the same in the US

it the US it is sometimes refered to as Mobile (or mobile phone)

You forgot "galoshes"... or is that not something in Canada!

Not really a linguistic difference more pronunciation - when I did Girl Scout camp in Mississippi and said Bugger in my northern English accent they all thought I was saying Booger - very confusing!

hehe, I minored in Linguistics at college....
you'd be surprised how many phrases we have that when you think about it, aren't grammatically correct because we really just borrowed them.
Of course I'm blanking on them right now, its been about 7 years since I studied this stuff, lol

The examples I remember most are that the word children is actually a double plural.... meaning we used to use the word childer for plural... but somewhere along the way it didn't seem plural enough and we made it childeren ... then dropped one of the e's

The other example is how the word chamber and camera not only mean the same thing... but that chamber actually morphed over time from the word camera
these changes happen when a country is conquered or occupied and languages/pronounciations blend together. So camera became chamera because the 'c' was pronounced 'ch' by some people... the 'b' was added because it just seems to fit phonetically with the way your mouth moves between the sounds.. chambera... and the a just dropped off... chamber

Then when the camera was invented... they reached back into latin I believe for camera obscura (dark chamber)... and tada.. we eventually just called it a camera

Ok... linguistics lecture over for the day, lol..
Interesting - like you Ive gone blank at specifics but I love the way English seems to just adapt and amalgamate much more so than other languages. The British Empire occupation of India in the 19C has given us (for example) pyjamas, bungalo and picnic

The one teeny thing that gets my goat is that if a word in welsh is the same or very similar to the english word other people dont see that in most cases its not an english word at all its usually Latin or Greek - Television anyone? Or Video or audio.
Oh and in Welsh double letters are more common - LL, CH, DD etc. But no one, NO ONE can get straight away that English has one too. Recite the alphabet out loud and think about it - its obvious when you hear it spoken but until then no one sees it as a double letter
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. doubleU! :) :winkwink:

Mizze xx

the bit bout the welsh is quite funny, if youve ever watched gavin nd stacey they do the whole ill be there now in a minute nd cutch lool nd ha ha the bugger thing makes me laugh cuz here a bugger (sp) is a bogey nd the word bugger is considered a swear word lool

Another example of Mizze's Wenglish in Gavin and Stacey. Ness to Smithy: Where to she now? Love it!

Back to food I think we had some confusion on my journal once when I had eggs, beans and waffles for lunch. It was all wrong to Megg (waffles are made from batter, right?) until we showed her the joy of Captain Birdseye:
https://www.birdseye.co.uk/assets/our-food/large/101.jpg

huh... is that like potato-bread where its just part of the ingredients/flavor?
Or is it like a hashbrown mashed into a waffle shape?

And am I the only US girl who gets confused by the 'tea' thing? How its both a meal and a drink in the UK? So someone says they have to go make tea and I have no clue if its a meal or a cup of tea? :haha:

It is pure, smooth potato :) Lush!

As for tea being a meal, we struggle enough over here between ourselves with meal names. I'm from London and we have breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hubby is from the south-west and he has breakfast, dinner and tea. So when he talks about dinner I need to get him to clarify the time of the meal!

oooh waffles - i miss waffles - and potato smilies - must raid ermes freezer section!!!

in the north east of england its Breakfast, Dinner and Tea too,

Maybe it's just us poncey Southerners wot lunch :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->